Tourism in Belgium
Tourism in Belgium is one of Belgium's industries, and its accessibility from elsewhere in Europe still makes it a popular tourist destination. The tourist industry generates 2.8% of Belgium's gross domestic product and employs 3.3% of the working population (142,000 people). 6.7 million people travelled to Belgium in 2005. Two-thirds of them come from the larger nearby countries - France, The Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Germany.
Like many national institutions in Belgium, the national tourist agencies are spilt along regional lines with two tourist agencies. They are the Belgian Tourist Office Brussels & Wallonia for the regions of Wallonia and Brussels Capital-Region, and Toerisme Vlaanderen covering Flanders, although it covers Brussels as well.
In 1993, 2% of the total workforce was employed in tourism, less than in many neighbouring countries. Much of the tourism industry is located either on the heavily developed coastline or in the Ardennes. Brussels and the Flemish cities of Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Leuven and Mechelen, the Flemish Cities of Art, attract many cultural tourists. Much tourism in Brussels is business tourism.
Belgium ranked 21st on the World Economic Forum's 2007 Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index, lower than all the neighbouring countries. Although the country scored highly for 'natural and cultural resources', it was ranked only 114th in the world for both 'price competitiveness' and 'availability of qualified labor'. In recent years the number of international tourists has stayed relatively stable, but the income they generate has increased to 9.863 billion US Dollars in 2005.
- "More support for tourism". flandersnews.be. 2007-03-02. Archived from the original on 2007-03-05. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- Travel and Tourism in Belgium - euromonitor.com
- Tourism Services - World Trade Organization
- Belgium - The tertiary sector from diplomatie.be
- "Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index". World Economic Forum. 2007-03-01. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- "Belgium Country/Economy Profile" (PDF). Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index. World Economic Forum. 2007-03-01. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Belgium.|
- Belgium travel and tourism at DMOZ
- Belgian Tourist Office in the U.S.
- Official Flanders tourism site
- Official Brussels & Wallonia tourism site
- Official Wallonia-Brussels tourism site
- Virtual Tour of Bruges
- Concise tourist guide to cities in Belgium
- Portal to the Belgian Ardennes