Tourism in Punjab, India
The Indian state of Punjab is known for its cuisine, culture and history. Some of the main cities in Punjab are Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana and Patiala. Punjab's public transportation network provides excellent tourist transportation.
Tourists to Punjab can enjoy culture, ancient civilization, spirituality and history. Punjab has a rich religious history incorporating Sikhism, Islam and Hinduism. The royal Punjabi palaces, historic battle sites, shrines, temples and examples of Sikh architecture are notable attractions. Punjabi cuisine includes a wide range of both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Due to the scope and depth of Punjab's history there are many places of interest. Tourism is a swiftly expanding sector in Punjab.
- 1 Forts and Palaces
- 2 Mughal Architecture
- 3 Museums
- 4 Science and technology
- 5 Religious Places
- 6 Gardens
- 7 Wild Life, Zoo, Wet Lands
- 8 Sports Tourism
- 9 Archaeological Destinations
- 10 Fairs and Festivals
- 11 Tourism sites at Dams
- 12 Border Areas
- 13 Eating, Shopping & Amusement parks
- 14 Photo gallery
- 15 See also
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Forts and Palaces
- Golden Temple in Amritsar
- Gobindgarh Fort Amritsar
- Ancient Fort at Bathinda, in Bathinda.
- Faridkot Fort
- Quila Mubarak, Patiala
- Bahadurgarh Fort (near Patiala)
- Anandpur Sahib Fort, Ropar
- Phillaur Fort, Ludhiana
- Shahpur Kandi Fort, 7 km from Pathankot
- Summer Palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh (1780-1838 AD), Amritsar
- Keshgarh Fort, Anandpur Sahib
- Historic monuments in Nabha and Sangrur
- Payal Fort
- Shershah Suri Mahal" Batala. This is of two parts. First part is the palace which is used as an official block in Baring Union College Batala. Second one is the summer palace which is known as baradari.......But one part is known as Hazira park. There is a lot more to do to preserve this historical site.
- Aam Khas Bagh, Sirhind
- Serai Nurmahal, Nurmahal
- Mughal Serai, Doraha
- Mughal Serai, Shambhu
- Serai Lashkari Khan or RDB Fort, near Doraha
- Coronation site of Mughal Emperor Akbar at Gurdaspur
- Kos Minar
- 800 years old Payal Fort has been built by Maharaja Amar Singh of Patiala RIYASAT located in Payal(PAYAL TEH. PAYAL Dist LUDHIANA PUNJAB) http://ludhiana.nic.in/admin/admin_mc_payal.html with the co-operation of MUGHALS in 1771. After that Maharani Sahib Kaur won the fort from The Mughal Hakumats. This fort is present here today also. Sarai of this fort Sarai Lashkari Khan is present near about this fort in Sri Manji Sahib Kottan, which is known as RDB(Rang de basanti) fort .At present This historical PAYAL FORT has been handed over to the Archeological Survey of India after removing illegal encroachments and Centre Govt of INDIA
. The interior of the fort is fast crumbling and hues type of Minakari and lots of attractive things present in it.
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum, Amritsar
- Sanghol Museum
- Angol Sikh War Memorial, Ferozeshah
- Govt. Museum Hoshiarpur
- Rural Museum, Punjab Agricultural University
- Qila Mubarak Patiala, Museum of Armoury & Chaneliers
- Art Gallery at Sheesh Mahal
- Sports Museum, Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports, Patiala
- Guru Teg Bahadur Museum, Shri Anandpur Sahib
- Khalsa Heritage Memorial Complex
- Sikh Ajaibghar, Mohali
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum, Ludhiana
- Shahed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh Museum, Khatkar Kalan
Science and technology
- Golden Temple, Amritsar
- Gurdwara Shri Baoli Sahib Goindwal Sahib
- Khadur Sahib
- Baba Bakala
- Dera Baba Nanak,in Gurdaspur district
- Gurudwara Ber Sahib, Sultanpur Lodhi
- Kiratpur Sahib
- Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib
- Gurdwara Jyoti Sarup
- Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib
- Takht Sri Damdama Sahib
- Gurdwara Dukh Nivaran Sahib
- Mehdiana Sahib
- Parivar Vichora
- Gurdwara Sri Tarn Taran Sahib
- Gurdwara Manji Sahib, Ludhiana
- Gurdwara Karamsar Rara Sahib
- Gurudwara Naulakha Sahib Patshai Nauvi, Village - Naulakha, Fatehgarh Sahib
- Gurudwara Achal Sahib. It is made for the historical visit of shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Achal.
- Gurudwara Kandh Sahib. Here the Baraat of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was stayed. The Guru Sahib said,"This wall will be live forever".
- Gurudwara Dera Sahib. Here Guru Nanak Dev Ji was married with Mata Sulakhni Ji. This Gurudwara is just near the Kandh Sahib.
- Devi Talab Mandir in Jalandhar
- Ram Tirath Temple - Amritsar
- Durgiana Temple, Amritsar
- Kali Devi Temple, Patiala
- Achaleshwar Temple Batala. It is an ancient temple which has history of Satyug. After Diwali the fair has held. Which is known as Mela Nauvin Dasvin.........Every year there is a lot of people visit this place..
- Kali Dwara Temple, Batala. It is also an ancient Devi temple in Chakri Bazaar Batala. In Navratras, many people make their son langoors.
- Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar
- Bansar Garden, Sangrur
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh Garden, Faridkot
- Ram Bagh Garden, Amritsar
- Shalimar Garden, Kapurthala
- Bara Dari Garden, Patiala
- Moti Bhag palace, Patiala
- Rock Garden, Chandigarh, the capital of Punjab
- Rose garden, Chandigarh,
- Shantikunj garden, Chandigarh,
Wild Life, Zoo, Wet Lands
- Hari-ke-pattan, Amritsar, Ferozepur (National Wetland & Wildlife Sanctuary)
- Kanjli Wetland, Kapurthala
- Beed on Faridkot mukatsar highway near Sadiq
- Satluj Water Body Wetland, Ropar
- Zoological Park, Chhatbir
- Tiger Safari Ludhiana & Deer Park at Neelon
- Sukhna Lake, Chandigarh
- Rural Olympics, Kila Raipur
- Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, SAS Nagar
- Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports, Patiala
- Hockey Stadium Astrotruf Ground Faridkot
- Hockey Stadium Astrotruf Ground Bathinda
- Indus Valley civilization site at Ropar
- Ancient Buddhist and Hindu archeological sites at Sanghol in Fatehgarh Sahib and Dholbaha in Hoshiarpur district respectively.
- Qila Mubarak, Bathinda
Fairs and Festivals
- Maghi Mela/Muktsar Fair
- Bhatinda Virasat Mela and Heritage Fesivals at Faridkot, Patiala, Rupnagar, Kapurthala, Amritsar
- Punjab Heritage Vintage and Classic car Drive
- Hola Mohalla,Anandpur Sahib
- Rauza Sharif Urs
- Baba Sheikh Farid Aagman Faridkot
- Diwali, Golden Temple
- Harbhallabh Sangeet Festival, Jalandhar
- Shaheedi Jor Mela, Fatehgarh Sahib
- Vasant Panchami, Patiala
Tourism sites at Dams
Eating, Shopping & Amusement parks
- Haveli, Jalandhar, Faridkot Phagwara, Rajpura
- Bharavan the Dhaba, Amritsar
- Kesar da dhaba, Amritsar
- West-End Mall, Ludhiana
- Hardy's World (Amusement park), Ludhiana
- Ansal Plaza Mall, Phagwara
- Viva Mall, Jalandhar, Phagwara
- Floating Restaurent, Sirhind Fatehgarh Sahib
- Manoranjan Park 5D cinema Faridkot
- AC Market Patiala
Shere-e- Punjab Sector 35, Chandigarh
The Fort at Bathinda.
The Fort at Bathinda, a view from inside the Fort.
The main gate of the Quila Mubarak, Patiala at night.
Mohindra College Patiala.
Punjabi Phul Cinema on The Mall facing the Fountain Chowk is built in Art Deco style in Patiala.
A Punjabi Phulkari from Patiala.
Jalandhar Railway Station's reception block.
The Punjabi Sutlej River Valley from Rampur ca. 1857.
Gurdwara Sri Katalgarh Sahib, Chamkaur Sahib
Gurdwara Patalpuri, Kiratpur Sahib
Interior view of Mughal Serai, Doraha
- Places of tourist interest in Punjab Report in Summer Program in Punjab Studies by University of California, Santa Barbara
- Department of Museums, Government of Punjab
- Department of Tourism, Government of Punjab