Tous les garçons et les filles
|"Tous les garçons et les filles"|
|Single by Françoise Hardy|
|from the album Françoise Hardy|
|Format||45 RPM vinyl single|
|Writer(s)||Françoise Hardy, Roger Samyn|
The tune recounts the feelings of a young person who has never known love and her envy of the couples that surround her.
It was telecast on the evening of 30 October 1962 in a musical interlude during an election referendum. The song quickly became a success, selling 500,000 copies by the end of the year, and eventually selling over 700,000 copies in France. Additionally, it is quoted several times by the main characters in J. L. Carr's 1988 novel What Hetty Did.
Françoise Hardy also recorded the song in English ("Find Me a Boy", 1964), Italian ("Quelli della mia età", 1962; collected in Françoise Hardy canta per voi in italiano, 1963), and German ("Peter und Lou", 1963; collected in Françoise in Germany, 1965.)
On a French talk show named "Tout le Monde en Parle" Jimmy Page stated that he played the guitar as a session musician on the recording.
The song has been covered by many artists in many languages, including:
- Lill-Babs (in Swedish, "Vart Jag Än Går", 1963).
- Sophie Blaede (1962).
- Ginette Reno (1962).
- Catherine Spaak (1962).
- Aimable (on the accordion, 1963).
- Eny Mara (in Portuguese, "A Idade Do Amor", 1964).
- Dulce Salles Cunha Braga (1965).
- Mia Frye (in English, "All the Girls and Boys", 1984).
- Eurythmics (bonus track on the album Be Yourself Tonight and, in some countries, B-side of the single "It's Alright - (Baby's Coming Back)"); sung in French by Annie Lennox.
- The Paquitas (accompanists of Xuxa) (in Portuguese, "Alguem para amar", 1991).
- Laurent Voulzy and Carla Bruni singing with the Enfoirés (album Les Enfoirés à l'Opéra comique, 1995).
- Marie Myriam (1996).
- Gigliola Cinquetti ("Quelli della mia età", 1999).
- Saint Etienne ("Find Me a Boy", album The Misadventures of Saint Etienne, music for the film Les Folies de Margaret (The Misadventures of Margaret), released in Japan in 1999).
- The Dresden Dolls.
- Thanh Lan in French and Vietnamese.
- Zona Zul (album Beira, 2006).
- Cœur de pirate.
- Elastic No-No Band (2007 live recording, released in 2012 compilation Not Like Most Folkies, Part 2: Early Covers).
- Bestsellers Les Meilleures Ventes Tout Temps de 45 T. / Singles, InfoDisc, accessed on line April 30, 2009.
- Partial source: site officiel de Françoise Hardy
- Video on YouTube