|• Mayor||Garrett Miller|
|• Total||1.1 sq mi (2.9 km2)|
|Elevation||731 ft (223 m)|
|• Density||2,674.2/sq mi (1,033.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Towanda is a borough in and the county seat of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, United States, 66 miles (106 km) northwest of Wilkes Barre, on the Susquehanna River. The name means "burial ground" in the Algonquian language. Settled in 1784 and incorporated in 1828, Towanda was once known primarily for its industrial interests, which included flour, planing and silk mills, a foundry and machine shop, dye works, and manufacturers of talking machines, cut glass, toys and furniture. The population in 1900 was 4,663 and, in 1910, 4,281. The population was 3,024 at the 2000 census. Currently, the 2010 census confirmed that the population of Towanda is 2,919.
Towanda is located at .(41.770251, -76.446545)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2).
As of the 2000 census, there were 3,024 people, 1,279 households and 795 families residing in the borough. The population density was 2,674.2 per square mile (1,033.3/km²). There were 1,459 housing units at an average density of 1,290.2 per square mile (498.5/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 96.36% White, 0.86% African American, 0.36% Native American, 1.19% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 1.09% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.19% of the population.
There were 1,279 households of which 30.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.8% were non-families. 31.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.92.
Age distribution was 25.1% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 28.3% from 25 to 44, 22.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.9 males.
The median household income was $35,814, and the median family income was $41,884. Males had a median income of $35,663 versus $23,796 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $17,438. About 9.9% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.5% of those under age 18 and 4.0% of those age 65 or over.
Towanda has a council-manager form of government.
- Nate Bump - relief pitcher for the Florida Marlins.
- Edward T. Fairchild, Wisconsin jurist
- William W. Kingsbury - United States House of Representatives, territorial delegate-Minnesota Territory.
- Gregory La Cava - film director, perhaps best known for directing My Man Godfrey.
- Charles M. Webb - Wisconsin politician.
- David Wilmot - politician.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towanda, Pennsylvania.|
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.