|Town of Townsend|
|Elevation||66 ft (20.1 m)|
|Area||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|- land||0.6 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||582.3 / sq mi (225 / km2)|
|Mayor||Jermaine D. Hatton|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Townsend is a town in New Castle County, Delaware, United States. The population was 2,049 at the 2010 census, an increase of 492.2% from 2000. The center of population of Delaware is located in Townsend.
Townsend is located at (39.394200, -75.692670).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 346 people, 132 households, and 95 families residing in the town. The population density was 582.3 people per square mile (226.4/km²). There were 151 housing units at an average density of 254.1 per square mile (98.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 84.10% White, 11.56% African American, 0.87% Native American, 0.87% Asian, 2.60% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.60% of the population.
There were 132 households out of which 36.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.1% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 20.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $47,500, and the median income for a family was $48,875. Males had a median income of $27,250 versus $28,409 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,671. About 2.1% of families and 1.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
On April 3, 1885 the town incorporated. Its primary business was selling agricultural produce via the Delaware Railroad. The railroad has since lost prominence over freight hauling, but the town still remains primarily agricultural with plenty of rural area and local produce. The town has since created a "Comprehensive Development Plan", as required by state law February 2003, for land preservation.  As of 2014 it is one of 3 towns in Delaware whose mayor signed supporting Same-sex marriage. 
Mayors of the town
Note: List of Mayors is incomplete. Please add cited sources to complete this list.
- 2007(?)-2009 - Dave Raughle
- 2010–11 – John Hanlin
- 2012 – Steve High
- 2013 – Joel Esler
- 2014 – Jermaine Hatton
- "The Delaware Census State Data Center". Stateplanning.delaware.gov. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "2010 Census Interactive Population Search- DE, Townsend town". US Census Bureau. Retrieved May 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Update to the 2003 Town of Townsend Comprehensive Plan" (PDF). The University of Delaware’s Institute for Public Administration (IPA). Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Mayors for the Freedom to Marry". Freedom to Marry, Inc. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Town Council Minutes". Town of Townsend. Retrieved 2014-01-09.