|Studio album by System of a Down|
|Released||September 4, 2001|
|Recorded||March – July 2001
|Genre||Alternative metal, nu metal|
57:26 (special edition)
|Producer||Rick Rubin, Daron Malakian, Serj Tankian|
|System of a Down chronology|
|Singles from Toxicity|
Toxicity is the second album by Armenian American rock band System of a Down. Produced by Rick Rubin, Toxicity was released on September 4, 2001 by American Recordings, debuting at number 1 on both the United States, with 220,000 copies, and number 1 on the Canadian charts. Toxicity has sold over 12 million copies worldwide and is certified multi-platinum in the United States.
The cover artwork shows words "System Of A Down" as a parody of the Hollywood Sign
The album is listed in Blender's 500 CDs You Must Own. MusicRadar held a public poll and Toxicity was ranked as 28th greatest heavy metal album in the list of The 50 Greatest Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. The album is ranked at number 44 in Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of the Decade for 2000s.
Digital Dream Door has currently ranked Toxicity at number 72 on their list of the "100 Greatest Metal Albums", and number 16 on their list of "100 Greatest Albums of the 2000s". Alternative Press ranked it number 9 in its "25 Best Albums of 2001" (Feb 2002, p. 64). Mojo ranked it number 93 in its "100 Modern Classics" (p. 54).
|E! Online||A−|
|The Escapist|||
|Alternative Press|||
|Ultimate Guitar|||
On review aggregator website Metacritic, Toxicity attained a score of 73 out of 100, based on reviews from nine critics, which indicates "generally favourable reviews". Don Kaye of Blabbermouth.net gave the album ten out of ten, one of only 21 albums to achieve a perfect rating from the site.
Keith Harris of Rolling Stone gave the album 3.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Both manic and schizoid, Tankian veers easily from sing-rap rhythm to Korn-ish hysterics to demonic baritone growl to doomily ruminative....the music insists on forward motion without trapping itself in a thrashy lock-step rut" (Sept. 27 2001, p. 70).
Tom Sinclair of Entertainment Weekly gave the album a B- and wrote, "Strange and engaging....It all adds up to bizarro type of metal that has a warped majesty and strength" (Sept 7 2001, pp. 161–162). Q gave the album 4 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Matches Slipknot for manic intensity while employing a freeform approach to songcraft which invites comparison to the lunatic-fringe rock of the '60s" (Sept. 2001, p. 121). Spin wrote, "System have an undeniable nerd-prog charm" (February 2005, p. 89).
However, not all reviews were favorable. Uncut wrote, "Toxicity is virtually unlistenable: thrash metal splintered into a million pieces by unnecessary time changes, topped off with excruciatingly theatrical vocals."
"Shimmy" appeared in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. "Toxicity" was playable in Guitar Hero: Metallica. "Science" appeared in ATV Offroad Fury 2. "Chop Suey!" was playable in Rock Band 2.
|1.||"Prison Song"||Tankian, Malakian||Malakian||3:21|
|2.||"Needles"||Tankian, Malakian||Tankian, Malakian||3:13|
|3.||"Deer Dance"||Tankian, Malakian||Malakian||2:55|
|4.||"Jet Pilot"||Tankian||Odadjian, Malakian||2:06|
|6.||"Chop Suey!"||Tankian, Malakian||Malakian||3:30|
|9.||"ATWA" (Air, Trees, Water, Animals)||Tankian, Malakian||Malakian||2:56|
|10.||"Science" (feat. Arto Tunçboyacıyan)||Tankian||Malakian||2:43|
^ I "Aerials" contains a hidden track often referred to as "Arto" due to it featuring Arto Tunçboyacıyan. The track is actually an adaptation of "Der Voghormia" (meaning "Lord Have Mercy"), a traditional Armenian church hymn.
|French Special Edition bonus CD|
|1.||"Sugar" (live)||Tankian||Odadjian, Malakian||2:27|
|4.||"Know" (live)||Tankian||Odadjian, Malakian, Tankian||3:03|
- System of a Down
- Serj Tankian – vocals, keyboards, guitars
- Daron Malakian – guitars, vocals
- Shavo Odadjian – bass, backing vocals
- John Dolmayan – drums
- Produced by Rick Rubin and Daron Malakian
- Co-Produced by Serj Tankian
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Engineered by David Schiffman
- Additional Engineering by Greg Collins and Darren Mora
- Assistant Engineers: Darrn Mora, Al Sanderson, Ryan McCormick, Jim Champagne
- Assistant Mixdown Engineer: Rich Balmer
- Additional Vocals/Music by Arto Tunçboyacıyan
- Additional Piano by Rick Rubin
- Strings Written by Serj Tankian
- additional guitar on "Aerials" by Kirk Hammett
- Additional Strings Written by Marc Mann
- Strings Arranged and Conducted by Marc Mann
- Photography: Martyn Atkins (Studio), Glen E. Friedman (Back Cover, Water), John Dolmayan, Hallie Sirota
- Cover Art: Mark Wakefield
- Art Direction: Shavo Odadjian & Brandy Flower
- Album Art Concepts: Shavo Odadjian & System of a Down
- Inside Collage Art: John Dolmayan & Brandy Flower
- Co Label Art: Shavo Odadjian
- A&R direction: Dino Paredes
- Production Coordinator: Lindsay Chase
- Worldwide Representation: David Benveniste, Velvet Hammer Music and Management Group
- Recorded at Cello Studios, Hollywood, CA
- Mixed at Enterprise Studios, Burbank, CA
- Mastered by Eddy Schreyer at Oasis Mastering, Studio City, CA
|2001||"Chop Suey!"||Billboard Hot 100||76|
|Modern Rock Tracks||7|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||12|
|Australian ARIA Top 50||14|
|2002||"Toxicity"||Billboard Hot 100||70|
|Modern Rock Tracks||3|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||10|
|Australian ARIA Top 50||39|
|"Aerials"||Billboard Hot 100||55|
|Modern Rock Tracks||1|
|Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|Australian ARIA Top 50||36|
Iowa by Slipknot
|Canadian Albums Chart number-one album
September 22, 2001
Silver Side Up by Nickelback
Aaliyah by Aaliyah
|Billboard 200 number-one album
September 22, 2001
The Blueprint by Jay-Z
- System of a Down Mezmerizes Music Fans Worldwide
- Terrybezer (28 July 2009). "Albums Of The Decade: System Of A Down – ‘Toxicity’". Metal Hammer. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Alternative Rock: 500 CDs You Must Own
- Metal Edge, June 2002
- Toxicity at Metacritic
- Blabbermouth Review
- Rolling Stone Review at the Wayback Machine (archived July 8, 2007)
- Entertainment Weekly Review
- Spin Review
- "OLiS: sales for the period 08.10.2001 - 14.10.2001". OLiS.
- "Austrian album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter System of a Down in the field Interpret. Enter Toxicity in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2009 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2003". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Brazilian album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Brazilian album certifications – System of a Down – System of a Down" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity". Music Canada.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (System Of A Down; 'Toxicity')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "New Zealand album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (System Of A Down; 'Toxicity')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Toxicity in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – System of a Down – Toxicity". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 2004". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Chop Suey!" music video on YouTube
- "Toxicity" music video on YouTube
- "Aerials" music video on YouTube