Toy performing at Waves Vienna in 2012
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, indie rock, shoegazing|
|Associated acts||Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong|
The band was formed in 2010 in Brighton by schoolfriends and former Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong band members, singer/guitarist Tom Dougall (younger brother of Rose Elinor Dougall, formerly of The Pipettes), guitarist Dominic O'Dair and bassist Maxim "Panda" Barron along with Gloucester born drummer Charlie Salvidge and Spanish keyboard player (and part time A&E nurse) Alejandra Diez. Salvidge had previously presented "The Sixties Show" on Bristol radio station BCFM, and played with punk band Mudfite. Shortly after, the band moved to London and six months later signed to Heavenly Records.
The band's first live performance was at London venue, The Lexington, in support of The Heartbreaks in December 2010. The band played at festivals in 2011 including Field Day and supported The Horrors on their UK autumn tour.
The band's debut single, "Left Myself Behind", was released in 2011 by Heavenly Records, the initial pressing of 100 selling out in a day. It was reissued in January 2012. The single was described by The Guardian as "excellent...recalls some kind of late-80s/early-90s jam session between Stereolab, Felt and Pulp".
The band were picked as one of NME's "100 New Bands You Have to Hear" in January 2012, with Rhys Webb of The Horrors describing them as "the most exciting band to come out last year" and "my favourite band for 2012".
They announced the release of their second album, Join the Dots on 14th October 2013. It is expected for release on 9th of December in Europe and the UK, and the 10th in the USA.
The band's sound has been described as a combination of psychedelic rock, krautrock and post-punk. According to O'Dair, early electronic music is one of the band's influences, as are their friends The Horrors.
- "Left Myself Behind b/w Clock Chime" (2011), Heavenly
- "Motoring b/w When I Went Back" (April 2012), Heavenly
- "Dead & Gone b/w Andrew Weatherall remix" (August 2012), Heavenly
- "Lose My Way b/w Bright White Shimmering Sun" (September 2012), Heavenly
- "Make It Mine E.P." (December 2012), Heavenly
- "Heart Skips a Beat" (March 2013), Heavenly
- "Join the Dots" (October 2013), Heavenly
- Baggs, Michael (2012) "Toy: 'We're already writing our second album'", Gigwise.com, 28 June 2012. Retrieved 7 DEcember 2013
- "Interview: Toy", thestoolpigeon.co.uk, 16 January 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2013
- "From Mudfite to… Toy – Go On Charlie Salvidge!", daveevansmusic.info, 23 May 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2013
- "Field Day 2011: The Quietus Review", The Quietus, 11 August 2011, retrieved 2012-01-15
- Lidbetter, Liam (2011) "The Horrors/TOY, Brighton, Concorde 2, 24/10/11", The Fly, 7 November 2011, retrieved 2012-01-15
- "WATCH: New Toy Video", The Quietus, 12 December 2011, retrieved 2012-01-15
- Robinson, John (2012) "This Week's New Live Music", The Guardian, 14 January 2012, retrieved 2012-01-15
- "100 New Bands You Have to Hear: UK 2012: Generation Next", NME, 7 January 2012, p. 38
- "The best new acts to watch out for in 2012", Time Out London, retrieved 2012-01-15
- Fullerton, Jamie (2012) "RADAR: Toy", NME, 4 February 2012, retrieved 2012-02-01
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toy (band).|