Trabuco Hills High School
|Trabuco Hills High School|
|27501 Mustang Run
Mission Viejo, California, 92691
|School type||Public, Comprehensive High School|
|School district||Saddleback Valley Unified School District|
|Faculty||112.4(on FTE basis)|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue & Gray|
|Mascot||Monty and Millie the Mustangs|
|Communities served||Rancho Santa Margarita, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Foothill Ranch, Trabuco Canyon, and Portola Hills|
|Feeder schools||Rancho Santa Margarita Intermediate School
Los Alisos Intermediate School
Serrano Intermediate School
|Website||Official school site|
Trabuco Hills High School is a high school in Mission Viejo, California, United States. It is the largest school in the Saddleback Valley Unified School District in terms of attendance, with over 3,100 students enrolled as of the 2013-2014 school year.
Below is a selection of significant state and national recognition that THHS has received.
- 2002 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
- "THHS is the only high school in California to have earned all of the highest state and national honors available in the past few years: California Distinguished School (2001),California Excellence in Arts Education, National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence (2002), California Exemplary Career Technical Education (2003), and Orange County Stellar Technology Model High School (2004-2007)."[clarification needed]
- Trabuco Hills’s API was 815 (out of 1000) for 2006-2007 school year. This is an increase of 6 points compared to the previous year's API. All students took the test.
- API RANKINGS: Based on 2005–2006 test results, the 2010–2011 school year began with an API base score of 843. The state ranks all schools according to this score on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being highest). Compared to all high schools in California, Trabuco Hills received a 10 out of 10.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2013)|
Trabuco Hills High School houses a significant number of extracurricular programs, many of which have received official recognition at the state and national level.
Trabuco Hills' drumline, colorguard, and marching band have performed in different California and national circuits.
The Trabuco Hills Thundering Mustangs Marching Unit has competed on various circuits like Western Band Association (WBA), Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA), and Southern California Judging Association (SCJA). For their 2002, 2004, and 2007 season, the unit went to the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. In 2009, the unit won first place in WBA 4A division, as well as 5th place overall for 4A and 5A.
During their 2010 season, the drumline placed 1st in the Percussion Scholastic A Class at the Southern California Percussion Alliance (SCPA) Championships.
The Trabuco Hills Winter Guard performs on the Winter Guard International (WGI) and Winter Guard Association of Southern California (WGASC) circuits.
The Trabuco Hills Jazz Ensemble took first in the Intermediate Division at the Irvine High School jazz festival. The jazz program also includes a seven-piece jazz combo which performs and competes both alongside and independent of the Jazz Ensemble.
The Symphonic Orchestra has performed at a national festival in Orlando Florida in 2004, and set an all time record for highest score achieved at that festival.
Model United Nations
Trabuco Hills High School Model United Nations is currently an extra-curricular club with an option to earn academic credit. Local conferences spanning Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties are attended at a rate of approximately one per month, with one or two optional advanced "Away" conferences placed where appropriate. Trabuco Hills High School Model United Nations also runs the annual Intermediate Invitational Model United Nations Conference (IIMUN) each Spring.
The Academic Decathlon is a class at Trabuco Hills High School, but it also serves as an extracurricular program. A team of nine students compete against other Orange County teams in ten academic events including a speech, essay, and interview. If they win the regional competition or do well relative to other teams statewide, they can advance to the California State finals. The Trabuco Hills team now accommodates more than nine students, allowing it to have several teams. Trabuco Hills's Academic Decathlon team has also fielded freshman and sophomore teams.
The Trabuco Hills Theater department consists of several levels of Drama classes and multiple film production classes. The most advanced stage acting group is The Off the Wall Theater Company, which is best known for its touring anti-violence show "Bang Bang, You're Dead." Magic Box Productions is the company name of the most advanced film acting group. It is there where students work on the filmmaking process from scriptwriting to shooting and assembling their own films—all which culminates in a popular student film festival at the end of each year. Trabuco Hills also has an improv group that works in the Comedy Sportz H.S. League.
Students practice the fundamentals of law in a real court setting. They compete at the Santa Ana Courthouse in front of real judges and attorney scorers. For the first time in school history, the Mock Trial team went all the way to the Final 4 Round in the 2010-2011 season.
The girls cross country program competes in the South Coast league. They also placed 2nd at Cif Finals and 3rd at State in 2013.
- Patrick Barnes (1993) - NFL Quarterback 7 years, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders and the Cleveland Browns
- Jonathon Blum (2007) - National Hockey League Player Nashville Predators
- Randy Josselyn (1992) - Actor, Undressed, 7th Heaven, Fever Lake, Sister, Sister, Picket Fences, Phenon, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Blossom, Full House, Family Matters, Just the 10 of Us, Punky Brewster, Down to Earth
- Jarah Mariano (2002) - Supermodel signed with IMG, Victoria's Secret, Sephora, Jay-Z's "Show Me What You Got", Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, M·A·C
- Nick Punto (1996) - Major League Baseball player, Oakland Athletics
- Andrew Romine (2004) - Major League Baseball player, Detroit Tigers
- Josh Todd (1989) - Lead singer of many bands, including Buckcherry
- Trabuco Hills High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed October 27, 2007.
- Schools take state honors, The Orange County Register, April 13, 2001, "Two Mission Viejo high schools were named California Distinguished Schools this week. It was the first recognition for 15-year-old Trabuco Hills High School.."
- http://saddleback.schoolwisepress.com/home/site.aspx?entity=19175&year=2007&locale=en-US 2006-2007 Accountability Report