|Trachymys scripta elegans, the red-eared slider|
(Thunberg, 1792), (Schoepff, 1792)
The pond slider (Trachemys scripta) is a common, medium-sized semi-aquatic turtle. There are three subspecies of sliders. The most recognizable subspecies is the red-eared slider (T. s. elegans), which is popular in the pet trade. This subspecies has been introduced to other parts of the world by people releasing it to the wild. Slider hatchlings have a green shell (carapace) and skin with yellow green and dark green striped markings. Markings and colors fade in adults to a muted olive green color. Some individuals become almost black with few visible markings. The carapace is oval and flattened. The underside of the shell is yellow with dark markings in the center of each scute.
The pond sliders are native to the US and Mexico
- Trachemys scripta scripta – Yellow-bellied slider
- Trachemys scripta elegans – Red-eared slider
- Trachemys scripta troostii – Cumberland slider
|Red-eared slider at the Cincinnati Zoo|
|Subspecies:||T. s. elegans|
|Trachemys scripta elegans
The red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), also known as red-eared terrapin, is a semiaquatic turtle belonging to the family Emydidae. It is a subspecies of the pond slider. It is the most popular pet turtle in the United States and is also popular as a pet in the rest of the world, as, among other factors, it is easy to maintain. It has, therefore, become the most commonly traded turtle in the world. It is native to the southern United States and Mexico.
- Tortoise & Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group (1996). "Trachemys scripta". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved March 4, 2010.
- Rhodin 2010, p. 000.103
- Fritz 2007, pp. 207-208
- Trachemys scripta elegans X Trachemys scripta scripta Project Noah
- Tortoise & Freshwater Turtle Specialist Group. (1996). Trachemys scripta. In: IUCN 2009. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.1. <http://www.iucnredlist.org>. Downloaded on 17 August 2009.
- Rhodin, Anders G.J.; Paul van Dijk, Peter; Inverson, John B.; Shaffer, H. Bradley (2010-12-14). "Turtles of the World 2010 Update: Annotated Checklist of Taxonomy, Synonymy, Distribution and Conservation Status" (pdf). Archived from the original on 2010-12-15. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- Fritz, Uwe; Havaš, Peter (2007-10-31). "Checklist of Chelonians of The World" (pdf). Archived from the original on 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Dewey, T. and T. Kuhrt. (2002). "Trachemys scripta" (On-line), Animal Diversity Web. Accessed July 29, 2008 at http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Trachemys_scripta.html.
- Rhudy, Robyn "Sliders" (On-Line), Accessed April 29, 2009. at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/sliders.htm