Tracie Margurite Andrews (born 9 April 1969) is an English woman who murdered her fiancé, Lee Raymond Dean Harvey (born 20 September 1971) on 1 December 1996. She was sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of murder at her trial in July 1997 and served 14 years before being released from prison.
Andrews, a former aspiring model and barmaid, stabbed Harvey over 42 times with a pen knife after they had stopped in his car following an argument on the way to their flat in The Becks, Alvechurch, Worcestershire. At a press conference on 3 December 1996, she claimed that Harvey was killed in a road rage attack, saying that a "fat man with staring eyes" had stabbed him over 30 times. Later that month however she was charged with Lee Harvey's murder.
Andrews was convicted in the Birmingham Crown Court on 29 July 1997, and was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a recommendation that she serve at least 14 years. Andrews appealed the sentence, claiming that she was the victim of a miscarriage of justice because of damaging publicity surrounding her case. In October 1998, the appeal was denied. In April 1999, Andrews admitted that she did stab Harvey to death, whilst still maintaining she acted in self-defence.
In November 2009 Tracie Andrews underwent a submandibular osteotomy operation to correct a class III occlusion. Specifically, this corrected her bottom jaw from protruding further than her top jaw.
Andrews was released in July 2011. She was banned from travelling within 25 miles of her victim's family without supervision.
Media based on the case
Maureen Harvey, Lee's mother, has written a book called Pure Evil: How Tracie Andrews Murdered My Son, Deceived the Nation and Sentenced Me to a Life of Pain and Misery.
- "Andrews loses appeal". BBC News. 1998-10-14. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Weathers, Helen (31 August 2010). "Can this really be justice? Tracie Andrews stabbed her fiance to death. Now, 14 years on (and after Â£5k of NHS cosmetic surgery) she's out shopping". Daily Mail (London).
- Summers, Chris (2008-06-25). "Killers who cry crocodile tears". BBC News. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Wilkes, David (2009-06-08). "Road rage murderer Tracie Andrews gets £5,000 of plastic surgery at taxpayers' expense". Mail Online (London: The Daily Mail). Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- Daily Mail, Daily Mail (11 November 2009). "Road rage murderer Tracie Andrews gets £5,000 of plastic surgery at taxpayers' expense". Daily Mail (London: Daily Mail). Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Weathers, Helen (28 July 2011). "Tracie Andrews has never shown remorse for murdering my son. Freeing her is the last twist of the knife, says mother of Lee Harvey". Daily Mail (London).
- Harvey, Maureen. Pure Evil. London: John Blake Publishing Ltd. ISBN 1-84454-573-3.
|This biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|