|Headquarters||Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.|
|Key people||Donato A. Montanaro, CEO
Richard J. Hagen, Jr. President & COO
Thomas A. Desmond, Chief Financial Officer
Launched in December 2005, TradeKing offers online brokerage services for active stock and option traders. The firm was an early user of social networking for investors and traders, offering free blog support and other Web 2.0-based tools to registered members and accountholders since the firm’s inception.
In July 2007, TradeKing released the Options Playbook, a primer for options trading explaining common options trading strategies (or “plays”) in jargon-free terms. Investors can access a free online version of the book's full content at http://www.optionsplaybook.com.
May 15, 2012 – TradeKing and Zecco, the industry’s first two socially-enabled online brokerages, announced they have agreed to merge their businesses.
Industry awards and rankings
TradeKing earned four stars and finished fourth overall in the StockBrokers.com 2011 Online Broker Review and was also recognized as having the Best Investor Community. In 2012, they earned four stars, a sixth place finish, and Best Investor Community. For 2013, TradeKing earned three and a half stars, a sixth place finish, and Best Investor Community as well as Most Innovative Broker.
Product reviews and criticisms
Independent product reviewers often rank TradeKing positively for its customer service, trading platform, low pricing, and active community. Critics often cite high commissions for penny stock trades and lack of paper trading platforms.
- Charles Schwab
- Fidelity Investments
- Merrill Edge
- Place Trade
- TD Ameritrade
- Comparison of online brokerages
- List of social networking websites
- List of stock market indices
- Financial markets
- Options broker
- Penny Stock
- Web 2.0
- “MySpace for Traders”, Business Week, September 10, 2007.
- "Cyber Traders Turn to Blogging", August 21, 2007, Reuters video.
- “Investors share tips, track records online, July 12, 2007, USA Today.
- Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options, NYSE Alternext US LLC et al., 1994 (updated 2008).
- Matt Krantz, “Better Know Your Option Options”, USA Today, November 16, 2007.
- Jeffrey M. Laderman, “A Playbook for Traders”, Business Week, November 5, 2007.
- "Online Stock Investing: Manage and Trade Stocks", SmartMoney, July 10, 2007.
- "SmartMoney's Annual Broker Survey", SmartMoney, May 20, 2008.
- "SmartMoney's 2009 Broker Survey", SmartMoney, May 19, 2009.
- TARQUINIO, J. ALEX. SmartMoney http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/stocks/the-2011-broker-survey-and-the-winner-is-1304553695118/
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- TARQUINIO, J. ALEX. http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/markets/SmartMoneys-Annual-Broker-Survey-23119/. Retrieved 20 May 2010. Missing or empty
- Theresa W. Carey, "The Best Online Brokers – Tools of the Trade", Barron's March 5, 2007. (password-protected)
- Theresa W. Carey, "Making It Click: Annual Ranking of the Best Online Brokers", Barron’s, March 17, 2008.
- Theresa W. Carey, "Blue Chips ", Barron’s, March 16, 2009.
- Carey, Theresa (2010-03-15). "Newest Trading Play: Screen Savings". Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- Carey, Theresa (2011-03-12). "Making the Right Connection". Barron's. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- "Online Broker Review 2011", January 18, 2011.
- "Online Broker Review 2012", February 21, 2012.
- "Online Broker Review 2013", February 19, 2013.
- Herb Weisbaum, "Want to be your own broker? Here's some help: Consumer Reports gives high marks to Firstrade, E*Trade, TradeKing", MSNBC, April 30, 2007.
- TopTen Reviews 2009 Silver Award
- MoneyNing TradeKing blogger review
- BrokerReview.org TradeKing review
- The Digerati Life by Silicon Valley Blogger, TradeKing review
- Investor Junkie - TradeKing review
- Howtotradestocks.org blogger review
- Online Stock Trading Web blogger review
- WiseStockBuyer Review
- "FINRA Member Firms: List of Members", Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. May 11, 2013. Accessed May 11, 2013.