Barnetta training with Switzerland in 2006
|Full name||Tranquillo Barnetta|
|Date of birth||22 May 1985|
|Place of birth||St. Gallen, Switzerland|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|FC Schalke 04|
|1991–1996||FC Rotmonten St. Gallen|
|2004–2005||→ Hannover 96 (loan)||7||(2)|
|2013–2014||→ Eintracht Frankfurt (loan)||15||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 March 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Tranquillo Barnetta (Italian pronunciation: [traŋˈkwillo barˈnetta]; born 22 May 1985) is a Swiss professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for FC Schalke 04 and the Swiss national team. He usually plays out wide as a left winger but can also play in a more withdrawn role as a central midfielder. Barnetta is known for his "extreme pace, mobility and creativity."
Barnetta started his career with St. Gallen in his hometown but was soon snapped up by German side Bayer Leverkusen in January 2004 During his first season at Bayer, he had a loan spell at Hannover 96, returning to Bayer in March 2005.
After a good showing at the World Cup in Germany, Barnetta became a regular in the Bayer squad. The 2008–09 season was one to forget for him, after Bayer finished two places lower than the previous season and his goals tally dropped slightly. During the summer transfer window, he was linked with a move away from Bayer as his place in the squad seemed under threat from loanee Toni Kroos. He regained his good form in the 2009–10 season, scoring a brace in only his second league game of the season and contributing to Bayer's unbeaten run for the entire first half of the season.
On 2 July 2012, after his contract ran out at Bayer Leverkusen, Barnetta signed a three-year deal with Bundesliga rivals Schalke 04 in preparation for the Gelsenkirchen club's participation in the Champions League.
Barnetta is a former youth international and was in the Swiss U-17 squad that won the 2002 U-17 European Championships along with future senior teammates Philippe Senderos and Reto Ziegler. He has been a member of the senior national team and was first called up to the squad for the Euro 2004 but did not make an appearance. At the 2006 World Cup, he scored the second goal in Switzerland's group stage win over Togo, but missed a penalty kick in the shootout against Ukraine, which Switzerland lost 3–0. On 4 July, Barnetta was shortlisted for the tournament's Best Young Player award. He was ever present in 2010 World Cup qualifying as the Swiss secured a place by finishing top of their group. On 4 June 2011, Barnetta scored two free kicks in quick succession against England in the Euro 2012 qualifiers.
As of 16 October 2012
|Barnetta – goals for Switzerland|
|1.||1 March 2006||Hampden Park, Glasgow||Scotland||1–0||3–1||Friendly|||
|2.||27 May 2006||St. Jakob-Park, Basel||Ivory Coast||1–0||1–1||Friendly|||
|3.||19 June 2006||Westfalenstadion, Dortmund||Togo||2–0||2–0||2006 World Cup|||
|4.||22 August 2007||Stade de Genève, Geneva||Netherlands||1–0 (penalty)||2–1||Friendly|||
|6.||7 September 2007||Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna||Chile||1–0||2–1||Friendly|||
|7.||4 June 2011||Wembley Stadium, London||England||1–0||2–2||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|||
|9.||15 August 2012||Stadion Poljud, Split||Croatia||2–1||4–2||Friendly|
|10.||16 October 2012||Laugardalsvöllur, Reykjavík||Iceland||1–0||2–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 30. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Palmer, Kevin. "Champions League 2012–13, Group B". ESPN Soccernet. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Tranquillo Barnetta" (in Italian). swissinfo.ch. 6 March 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Leverkusen holt St. Gallens Jungstar Barnetta". Netzeitung (in German). 9 January 2004. Retrieved 13 June 2009.
- "Barnetta zurück zu Bayer". Blick (in German). 9 March 2005. Retrieved 13 June 2009.
- Ostendorp, Heiko; Böni, Andreas (15 May 2009). "Tranquillo kann in jeder Liga der Welt spielen". Blick (in German).
- "Schalke clinch Barnetta signing". ESPN Soccernet. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- Tschoumy, Renaud (10 November 2009). "Les «Rouge» admirent les «Rougets»". Le Matin (in French).
- "Ice-cool Barnetta soothes Swiss nerves". fifa.com. 16 June 2006.
- "Swiss duo riding high". fifa.com. 21 October 2009.
- White, Duncan (4 June 2011). "England 2 Switzerland 2: match report". Telegraph. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- "Football – Match Friendlies : Scotland vs. Switzerland". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Football – Match Friendlies : Switzerland vs. Ivory Coast". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Togo-Switzerland". FIFA.com. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Football – Match Friendlies : Switzerland vs. Netherlands". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Football – Match Friendlies : Switzerland vs. Chile". footballdatabase.eu. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "UEFA EURO 2012 – England-Switzerland". UEFA.com. 4 June 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tranquillo Barnetta.|
- barnettafan.ch – Tranquillo Barnetta's official fanshop (German)
- Leverkusen who's who
- Tranquillo Barnetta at fussballdaten.de (German)