Trans-Harbour Line (Mumbai Suburban Railway)
|System||Mumbai Suburban Railway|
|Locale||Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
|Operator(s)||Central Railway (CR)|
|Line length||20 km|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) Broad gauge|
|Harbour and Trans-Harbour Lines|
The Trans-Harbour Line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway connects Navi Mumbai to Thane. It is operated by Central Railway (CR). It runs from Thane to Vashi and Nerul. According to V Malgaonkar, Chief PRO of the Central Railway, "The objective of the trans harbour line project was to reduce the load at Kurla. The line caters to the chemical industrial belt in Navi Mumbai that goes up to Thane." Services from Panvel and Nerul have also reduced the load on Vashi. The line was started in 1993 to run goods trains between Turbhe and Kalwa. It was upgraded in 2004 to transport commuters till Thane. Services from Panvel to Thane (via the Harbour Line) and Nerul to Thane were started in 2010.
On 19 January 2013, the conversion of all 10 rakes on the Trans-Harbour Line into 12-car trains was completed As of May 2013, there are 210 services operating on the Trans-Harbour line, of which 128 are 12-car and 80 are 9-car services.
|#||Station Name||Station Code||Connections|
|5||Kopar Khairane||कोपर खैराणे||कोपर खैराणे||None|
|† - when travelling from/to Vashi
‡ - when travelling from/to Nerul
The Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) plans to provide direct suburban rail connectivity between Navi Mumbai and Kalyan and beyond via the Trans-Harbour Line. A 2km long viaduct, costing around 300 crore would have to be built near Parsik tunnel.
- "Trans-Harbour snag leaves passengers stranded - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Trans harbour line eases rush at Kurla and Vashi". Hindustan Times. 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "State boost for Churchgate-Virar elevated corridor - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Somit Sen (2012-10-21). "Soon, all Trans-harbour services to be 12 car". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "Central Rly to check if 15-car fast trains can be run beyond Kalyan". Hindustan Times. 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "Soon, Cidco to hand over Navi Mum railway stations to Central Railway - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation plans direct rail link between Kalyan, Navi Mumbai". The Times Of India. 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-07-17.