|Founded||New York, New York, USA (1992)|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, USA|
|Key people||Liz Elting and Phil Shawe, Co-Founders and Co-CEOs|
|Revenue||$401 million USD (2013)
$342 million USD (2012)
$300 million USD (2011)
$251 million USD (2010)
$221 million USD (2009)
$204 million USD (2008)
$156 million USD (2007)
$113 million USD (2006)
|Employees||3,000 (2014)|
TransPerfect Translations, commonly known as "TransPerfect", is a privately held translation services company. The TransPerfect group of companies provides language and global business services in 170 languages. The company is headquartered at 3 Park Avenue in New York City, United States (U.S.) and 85 TransPerfect offices exist internationally.
TransPerfect has received recognition for its rapid growth as a privately held company in the U.S. and is one of the largest privately held companies in New York. The company’s annual revenue for 2013 was over US$401 million.
TransPerfect founders Elizabeth Elting and Phil Shawe met in a New York University (NYU) dormitory room and founded the company in 1992. With no external financing, TransPerfect grew from a two-person dormitory-based operation into one of the 125 largest privately held companies in the New York area.
In July 2013, TransPerfect prevailed in a U.S. Federal patent trial against competitor MotionPoint. The trial began as a result of MotionPoint's claim that TransPerfect's use of its own translation technology patent was invalid. TransPerfect chose to take the matter to court to defend its intellectual property, and MotionPoint filed a counter-suit. After three weeks of arguments, a California jury voted in favor TransPerfect and awarded $1 million in damages.
In 2014, Elting sought to remove Shawe as an officer of TransPerfect Translations International, Inc. (TPI). Elting also motioned for an injunction barring Shawe from conducting any managerial activity related to TransPerfect and sought the dissolution of TransPerfect, alleging that Shawe had engaged in "erratic and abusive behavior". In response, Shawe sought an order of protection against Elting after an incident in which she allegedly "pushed, shoved, kicked, slammed and otherwise assaulted and battered” Shawe.
TransPerfect is a certified Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) under the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC).
- Typesetting and graphics
- Voiceover and dubbing
- Multicultural marketing
- Linguistic validation
- Virtual data room services
Awards and honors
- TransPerfect named a Winner of the SmartCEO 2014 Brava! Awards.
- TransPerfect named Recipient of World Trade Week's 2014 "Global Technology Award".
- TransPerfect Ranked on the Women Presidents' Organization's "50 Fastest-Growing Women-Owned/Led Companies" List for 2014.
- Delta Air Lines Names TransPerfect as Their 2014 Women-Owned Business of the Year.
- Crain’s New York Business includes TransPerfect on its list of the top 50 fastest-growing companies in 2012.
- Crain's New York Business includes TransPerfect on its list of the top 125 largest privately held companies for eight consecutive years.
- Crain's New York Business ranks TransPerfect among the New York Area's "Largest Women-Owned Companies" for eight consecutive years.
- TransPerfect included on the Women Presidents' Organization's list of "Top 50 Fastest Growing Women-Led Companies” on three occasions.
- TransPerfect ranked number 1 on DiversityBusiness.com’s list of the “Top 100 Women Owned Businesses in New York.”
- TransPerfect ranked one of the fastest growing companies in North America on "Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™" on six occasions.
- TransPerfect VP Jessica Eker Named "National VP of Sales of the Year" at the 2010 Stevie Awards.
- TransPerfect wins "Sales Meeting of the Year" at the 2009 Stevie® Awards.
- Shawe is included in the Crain's New York Business "Forty Under 40" list in 2008.
- Ernst & Young's "Entrepreneur of the Year" Business Services Award for the New York Region in 2001.
- "About Us". Transperfect. Transperfect. 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "TransPerfect". Inc.com. Mansueto Ventures LLC. 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Aaron Elstein (21 November 2010). "Many top private firms in NY area predict 2010 revenue rise". Crain's New York Business. CRAIN COMMUNICATIONS INC. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Top 125 Privately Held Companies". Crain's New York Business. Crain Communications, Inc. 19 November 2012. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Paul Demery (29 July 2013). "In a web translation patent battle, the jury sides with TransPerfect". Internet Retailer. Vertical Web Media. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Donald DePalma (15 July 2013). "Jury Decides Translation Automation Case". Common Sense Advisory. Common Sense Advisory, Inc. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Elting v. Shawe (Supreme Court Of The State Of New York County Of New York August 4th, 2014). Text
- Ross, Barbara. "Co-founder of $400 million company seeks restraining order against his business partner and former lover". New York Daily News. NYDailyNews.com. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Services". Transperfect. Transperfect. 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- WPO (24 April 2014). "The 7th Annual 50 Fastest Growing Women-Owned/Led Companies". Women Presidents' Organization. WPO. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- BusinessWire (23 April 2013). "TransPerfect Wins Women-Owned Business Delta Star Award". Yahoo Finance. Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Buck Ennis (24 June 2012). "Fast 50 2012". Crain's New York Business. Crain Communications Inc. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "NY Area's Largest Women-Owned Companies". EBSCO Host Connection. EBSCO Publishing. 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml".[dead link][dead link]
- "http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/us/Industries/technology/technology-fast500/89225738ab4cb210VgnVCM3000001c56f00aRCRD.htm".[dead link][dead link]
- "2010 Honorees". Stevie Awards. Stevie Awards, Inc. 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "2009 Honorees". Stevie Awards. Stevie Awards, Inc. 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Erik Ipsen (12 October 2012). "Phil Shawe, 38". Crain's New York Business. Crain Communications, Inc. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Hall of Fame". Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year. Ernst & Young. 2001. Retrieved 19 June 2013.