||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (March 2013)|
|Part of a series on|
The label of transgender male is not interchangeable with that of transsexual male although the two are often combined or mistaken for the same thing. The difference is that while transgender males identify with the male gender identity, transsexual males may intend to undergo physical changes to align their body with their gender identity. A transgender male is someone whose gender identity is male, but who does not necessarily change himself physically.
The term "trans man" is used as a short form for either identity (transsexual man and transgender man). Trans men may identify as transsexual, as transgender, neither, or both. "Transgender man" is an umbrella term that may include anybody who was assigned the female sex at birth but identifies as male. For instance, some drag kings, cross dressers, androgynous, bigender, and genderqueer people might identify as transgender.
The term "transsexual" originated in the medical and psychological communities. However, unlike the term transgender, transsexual is not an umbrella term, and many transgender people do not identify themselves as such.
The FTM community has coined the phrase transfag to describe a trans man attracted to other men. However, this phrase is still controversial because of its previous usage as a derogatory slur directed towards trans women.
Originally, the term "trans men" referred specifically to female-to-male transsexual people who underwent HRT and/or surgery. In recent years, the definition of "transition" has broadened to include theories of psychological development or complementary methods of self-acceptance.
Transsexual men may seek medical interventions such as hormones and surgery to make their bodies as congruent as possible with their gender presentation. However, many transgender and transsexual men cannot afford or choose not to undergo surgery or hormone replacement therapy.
Many who have not undergone top surgery choose to bind their breasts. There are a few different methods of binding, including using sports bras and specially made binders (which can be vest-type, or wrap-around style). Tape or bandages, although often depicted in popular culture, should never be used for binding as they tighten with wear and compress the ribcage, and could result in injury.
Some trans men might also decide to pack, to create a male like bulge in the crotch of clothing. However, this is not universal. Trans men who decide to pack may use anything from rolled up socks to specially made packers, which resemble a man's penis. Some packers are also created for trans men to be able to urinate through them (stand-to-pee, or STP, devices).
Transitioning might involve some or all of the following steps:
- Social transition: name change, wearing clothing seen as gender appropriate, disclosure to family, friends and usually at the workplace
- Sex reassignment therapy: hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and/or surgery
- Legal affirmation: name and (sometimes) sex marker correction in legal identification documents. Being socially accepted as male (sometimes known as passing) may be challenging for trans men who have not undergone HRT and/or surgery. Some trans men may choose to present as female in certain social situations (e.g. at work). After physical transition, trans men usually live full-time as male.
Notable trans men
- Buck Angel, an adult film actor and director
- Ben Barres, an American neurobiologist who teaches at Stanford University
- Anthony Barreto-Neto, Medical and cultural Educator, international activist, Public Speaker, subject of 20/20 interview on Transsexuals in law enforcement, [ Kim Pearce writer/director], T.O.P.S. Transgender Officers Protect and Serve 
- Thomas Beatie, an American advocate for transgender rights. Also became famous as the "pregnant man".
- Chaz Bono, American author and activist, the only child born out of musicians Sonny Bono and Cher's marriage
- Willmer "Little Ax" Broadnax (1916–1994), an African-American hard gospel quartet singer
- Balian Buschbaum, German pole vaulter
- Alec Butler, Canadian playwright and filmmaker
- Mauro Cabral, trans and intersex advocate, and co-director of Global Action for Trans Equality
- Meryn Cadell, Canadian singer, writer and performance artist
- Patrick Califia, writer and poet
- Loren Cameron, American photographer, author and activist
- Ryan Cassata, American Singer-songwriter, public speaker and transgender activist
- Axil Cricchio, American activist, university professor, and public speaker, 
- Harry Leo Crawford, Australian convicted murderer and victim of a miscarriage of justice born Eugenia Falleni 
- Aaron Devor, Canadian sociologist and sexologist
- Michael Laurence Dillon (1915–1962), physician and author
- Robert Eads (1945–1999), subject of documentary Southern Comfort
- Reed Erickson (1917–1992), businessman and philanthropist
- Tyler Ford, actor/singer featured on The Glee Project
- Jack Bee Garland (1869–1936), American journalist, nurse, and adventurer
- Dr Dan Christian Ghattas, historian, intersex and trans advocate, and author of Human Rights between the Sexes
- Alexander John Goodrum (1960–2002), an African American transgender civil rights activist
- Jamison Green, writer and educator
- Alan L. Hart (1890–1962), an American physician who pioneered the use of x-ray photography in tuberculosis detection, and helped implement TB screening programs
- Ian Harvie, American stand-up comedian
- Katastrophe (Rocco Katastrophe Kayiatos) Homo-Hop MC
- Andreas Krieger, German shot putter
- Shannon Minter, attorney
- Ryan Sallans, Trans-activist and public speaker
- Lucas Silveira, rock musician.
- Lou Sullivan (1951–1991), American author, biographer and founder of FTM International
- Brandon Teena (1972–1993), a victim of a hate crime, subject of the film Boys Don't Cry
- Billy Tipton (1914–1989), an American jazz pianist and saxophonist
- Del Lagrace Volcano, performer and photographer
- Max Wolf Valerio, poet, writer and performer
- Stephen Whittle OBE, PhD., Professor of Equalities Law in the School of Law at Manchester Metropolitan University, and an active member of the United Kingdom TransActivist organisation Press for Change
- Kortney Ryan Ziegler PhD., Filmmaker and scholar
- Rev. Dr. Cameron Partridge D.Th., Episcopal Chaplain at Harvard, and Lecturer in the Committee on Degrees in women, Gender and Sexuality.
- Cindy Bullens American singer/songwriter/recording artist
- Boys Don't Cry, drama
- Southern Comfort, 2001 documentary
- Transparent, documentary
- Pick Up the Mic, documentary (features two FTM artists)
- My Dearest Senorita, 1972 Spanish drama film
- TransGeneration, documentary miniseries
- Gender Rebel, 2006 documentary
- Mom, I Didn't Kill Your Daughter, 2007 Israeli documentary
- Pregnant Man, 2008 documentary about Thomas Beatie in the final weeks of his pregnancy and the birth of his first child, Susan
- My Friend from Faro, 2008 german drama
- Gender Resignner, 2010 documentary
- Enough Man, 2010 documentary
- STILL BLACK: a portrait of black transmen, 2008 documentary about black trans men
- Becoming Chaz, 2011 documentary about Chaz Bono's transition
- Tomboy (2011 film), 2011 drama
- Romeos (2011), drama
- Boy I Am, documentary
- Methods of passing as male
- Trans woman
- List of transgender-related topics
- List of transgender people
- "How Frequently Does Transsexualism Occur?" by Lynn Conway
- "There are more of us than you think" by Joanne Herman
- The Alliance of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgendered and Straight Ally Students, FAQ - Transgenderism
- Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "GLAAD Media Reference Guide, 8th Edition. Transgender Glossary of Terms", GLAAD, USA, May 2010. Retrieved on 2011-03-04.
- Hudson's FTM Resource Guide,FTM Basics: Terminology
- LAMBDA Glossary
- "transfag". Urban Dictionary. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Hudson's FTM Resource Guide, FTM Basics: Terminology
- Institute for Judaism and Sexual Orientation, Glossary of Terms and Usage
- "What is transition?" FTM Australia
- Transgender emergence: therapeutic guidelines for working with gender-variant people and their families (2004), Arlene Istar Lev, Routledge, ISBN 0-7890-2117-X, 9780789021175.
- "The Misconception of 'Sex' In Title VII: Federal Courts Reevaluate Transsexual Employment Discrimination Claims" (2008), Amanda S. Eno, Tulsa Law Review, Spring, 2008, 43 Tulsa L. Rev. 765, University of Tulsa.
- "Does Gender Matter? by Ben A Barres | Learn Science at Scitable". Nature.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- [ABC 20/20 with John Stossel, 1995, Americas Most Wanted, adviser on film "Boys Don't Cry"
- [NPO, Reg. Florida 1995]
- Wilson, Cintra (2011-05-06). "Chaz Bono, Reluctant Role Model". The New York Times.
- [dead link]
- Cameron, Loren (1996). Body Alchemy. Cleis Press. ISBN 1-57344-062-0.
- "Ryan Cassata". Ryan Cassata. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Axil Cricchio | Professor and Public Speaker Tranings,Presentations, and Workshops on Trans/genderqueer Topics
- Web Easy Professional Avanquest Publishing USA, Inc. (2013-03-01). "Home". Jamisongreen.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "History of Rap Music". KatastropheRap. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- [dead link]
- Longman, Jere (2004-01-26). "East German Steroids' Toll: 'They Killed Heidi'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-03-28.[dead link]
- [dead link]
- RyanSallans.com (2013-01-18). "FTM: Scouting the Unknown". RyanSallans.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Middlebrook, Diane Wood (1999). Suits Me: The Double Life of Billy Tipton. Mariner Books. ISBN 978-0-395-95789-9.
- "d e l l a g r a c e v o l c a n o". Dellagracevolcano.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Valerio, Max Wolf (2006). The Testosterone Files. Seal Press. ISBN 978-1-58005-173-6.
- [dead link]
- Barlow, Rich. "New Episcopal Chaplain a Role Model | BU Today | Boston University". Bu.edu. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Christ Church Cambridge: Leadership: The Reverend Dr. Cameron Partridge". Cccambridge.org. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Mom, I Didn't Kill Your Daughter". San Francisco Jewish Film Festival. 2008.
- "Pregnant Man". September Films. 2008.
- Transman on the Open Directory Project
- Medical Therapy and Health Maintenance for Transgender Men: A Guide For Health Care Providers free ebook, ISBN 0-9773250-0-8
- FTM International An organization serving the female-to-male trans community.
- Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
- Just Add Hormones: An Insider's Guide to the Transsexual Experience by Matt Kailey
- Transmen and FTMs: Identities, Bodies, Genders, and Sexualities by Jason Cromwell
- FTM: Female-to-Male Transsexuals in Society. by Aaron H. Devor
- Second Son: Transitioning Toward My Destiny, Love and Life by Ryan Sallans