- This article is about software. For other uses, see Transcription (disambiguation)
Transcription software assists in the conversion of human speech into a text transcript. The primary meaning of the term "transcription software" has changed over time, with the introduction of new technologies such as natural language speech recognition. References also depend on the purpose for the transcript. The term "transcription software" can refer to a completely automated solution, or to software which helps a human transcriber manually convert spoken audio into text transcripts. In the latter case, the term digital dictation is sometimes used.
Transcription software, as with transcription services, is often provided for business, legal, or medical purposes. Compared with audio content, a text transcript is searchable, takes up less computer memory, and can be used as an alternate method of communication, such as for closed captions.
The definition of transcription "software", as compared with transcription "service", is that the former is sufficiently automated that a user can run the entire system without engaging outside personnel. However, the advent of software-as-a-service and cloud computing models blur this distinction.
Transcription software products and vendors
A number of transcription software tools are available for research and/or for commercial use:
Automatic (Natural Language Recognition) tools
- Synthema SpeehScribe - Speech-to-Text Software and Service
- Textshark - Speech to text software suite and SaaS
- AuditorySciences.com's Interact-AS
- Digital Syphon - Sonic Extractor
- Nuance - Dictaphone, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, eScription, MacSpeech Scribe, PowerScribe
- S.Scribe! - Speech-to-Text Software
- Scribe Healthcare Technologies
- Vocapia - VoxSigma speech-to-text software suite and SaaS
- VoiceBase, Inc.'s VoiceBase.com web service for automated machine and human transcription.
Manual tools (digital dictation, transcription assistants)
- Audiotranskription.de's f4 (Windows) and f5 (Mac)
- NCH Software - Express Scribe
- InqScribe by Inquirium
- ResearchWare, Inc.'s HyperTRANSCRIBE
- Wreally's Transcribe
- TranscriptionGear.com's GearPlayer