Transformers Classics is a line of Transformers toys based on and resembling the first generation (G1) characters introduced in the 1980s. The toy line was created to fill the gap in Transformers product releases between the end of the Transformers: Cybertron series and the start of 2007 live-action movie; as well as tie-in to the release of the Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD edition, and later Transformers Animated, then in Transformers Universe Classics / Henkei.
The character designs were updated to appeal to a modern audience as well as fans of the original 1984 toyline. The face and body have more detail than the 1984 toys due to advancements in design technology. The line is notable for being the first Transformers toyline since the original to feature Decepticon leader Megatron as a transforming handgun. It is also the first line since 1998 (except for reissues) to include temperature sensitive insignias, a feature included among second and third year G1 toys.
Main toy line
The main Classics toy line consists of all-new molds designed to resemble updated versions of several 1984 Transformers characters.
- Bumblebee (Deluxe, Peugeot 206 with Wave Crusher jetski on trailer/flight pack) - The initial release had a slight curve to the roof vent under the rub-symbol, causing the symbol to pull away from the toy. Later releases, including the Cliffjumper repaint, flattened the roof vent to improve adhesion.
- Optimus Prime (Voyager, COE semi-trailer truck)
- Rodimus (Deluxe, Dome Zero)
- Astrotrain (Deluxe, NASA Space Shuttle/bullet train triple changer)
- Megatron (Voyager, gray/purple Nerf Maverick REV-6). The Japanese release was redecoed in chrome silver to closely resemble his G1 incarnation.
- Starscream (Deluxe, McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Eagle)
- Grimlock (Deluxe, Tyrannosaurus)
- Jetfire (Voyager, armored space fighter) - Don Figueroa's design for the character in Transformers: Stormbringer was based on this toy.
- Mirage (Deluxe, Renault R26 Formula 1 racer)
- Cliffjumper (Deluxe, Peugeot 206) - Red redeco of Bumblebee.
- Ramjet (Deluxe, modified McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle) - Remold of Starscream with different wings and nosecone transformation.
- The Ultimate Battle - Comes with bonus DVD.
- Megatron (Decepticon; Deluxe; tank) - a completely separate mold from the Voyager model, similarly based upon his Generation 2 body.
- Optimus Prime (Autobot; Deluxe; Kenworth T800 COE semi-trailer truck) - a completely separate mold from the Voyager model, similar in design to Robot Masters G1 Convoy.
- Battle for Autobot City (Target exclusive)
- Constructicon Devastator (Walmart exclusive; Green/purple redeco of Transformers: Energon Constructicon Maximus).
- Soundwave (Toys "R" Us Exclusive)
Several Mini-Con teams originally intended for release in the Transformers: Cybertron toy line were released in the Classics line for expansion purposes. They do not resemble any G1 characters, even though some characters share the same names. Four of the Mini-Cons were released in the Cybertron line as pack tie-ins with Cybertron Primus.
- Night Rescue Team: Strongarm (police cruiser), Firebot (fire engine), Divebomb (Apache attack helicopter).
- Demolition Team: Broadside (tank), Sledge (front-end loader), Wideload (dump truck).
- Dinobots: Knockdown (Triceratops), Swoop (Pteranodon), Terrorsaur (Tyrannosaurus).
- Dirt Digger Team: Dirt Rocket (dirtbike), Grindor (monster truck), Oil Slick (muscle car).
- Predator Attack Team: Dreadwing (eagle), Overbite (tiger), Snarl (wolf).
- Clear Skies Team: Nightscream (dragon), Steel Wind (A-10 attack jet), Thunderwing (jet fighter).
Classic legends are repainted versions of the Micro class Legends of Cybertron subline from Transformers: Cybertron toy line. Similar to the Mini-Cons, they were repainted and released under the Classics heading to expand the toy line. While they were not designed as Generation One updates like the main line, their names and color schemes are homages to original characters.
- Bumblebee (sports car) - repaint of LoC Hot Shot.
- Fireflight (cargo jet) - repaint of LoC Jetfire. Originally intended to be Powerglide, but Hasbro couldn't obtain a trademark on that name.
- Jetfire (jet fighter) - repaint of LoC Thundercracker.
- Leo Prime (lion) - repaint of LoC Leo Breaker, a homage to Beast Wars II Lio Convoy.
- Menasor (flatbed truck) - repaint of LoC Optimus Prime. Originally intended to be Motormaster, but Hasbro couldn't obtain a trademark on that name.
- Perceptor (satellite rocket carrier) - repaint of LoC Cybertron Defense Red Alert.
- Trypticon (three-headed dragon) - repaint of LoC Scourge.
- Whirl (helicopter) - repaint of LoC Evac.
Exclusive toys at BotCon 2007, although sold under the Transformers: Timelines label, have been made as an extension to the Classics line.
Games of Deception convention boxed set:
- Thundercracker (Deluxe, jet fighter) - repaint of Classics Starscream.
- Dirge (Deluxe, jet fighter) - repaint of Classics Ramjet.
- Thrust (Deluxe, jet fighter) - remold of Classics Ramjet with new wings.
- Bugbite (Deluxe, compact car) - repaint of Classics Bumblebee. Based on the eHobby redeco of Bumblebee as a Decepticon.
- Dreadwind (Voyager, armored space fighter) - repaint of Classics Jetfire with new head.
- Mirage (Deluxe, Formula One racer) - recast in transparent blue plastic. This was the special attendance toy given to convention goers who purchased the Games of Deception boxed set.
- Springer (Deluxe, armored assault vehicle) and Huffer (Basic semi tractor) - repaints of Cybertron Defence Hotshot and Cybertron Armorhide.
- Weirdwolf (Deluxe, wolf) - repaint of Cybertron Snarl. Weirdwolf was sold with Alpha Trion, a repaint of Vector Prime with a new head, featured in the previous Transformer Collectors Club story. While Weirdwolf was given a Classics bio card that matched those of Games of Deception figures and the other BotCon 2007 exclusives, Alpha Trion's bio card was instead in the pattern of earlier club exclusives such as Astrotrain.
- Seacons - It was stated, that if a store will accept them as an exclusive boxed set, they would be packaged as Classics, in the fashion of the Constructicon Devastator set.
- Jazz - Name mentioned as one Hasbro would like to make.
- Elita One - She is depicted on the Classics poster from BotCon 2007, and is rumored to be released later as a Transformers Collectors Club exclusive.
- Greg Lombardo, Hasbro's Director of Marketing, "Hasbro Introduces ‘More Than Meets the Eye’ Transformers Classics Line"