A transit hotel is a short stay hotel typically used at international airports in the transit zone where passengers on extended waits between planes (typically a minimum of six hours) can stay. The hotel is within the or airside security/passport checkpoints and close to the airport terminals.
The transit hotel "V Express" at Sheremetyevo International Airport in Moscow drew international attention in June 2013 when Edward Snowden was reported to be staying at one of the hotels after leaving Hong Kong en route to another country. Snowden's stay at the transit hotel meant that he did not have to present a visa/passport to enter Russia as the United States had revoked his passport.
List of Airports with Transit Hotels
- Bangkok, Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport
- New Deli, India Indira Gandhi International Airport
- Singapore Changi Airport
- Amsterdam, Netherlands Schiphol
- Leung, Jane. (2011-10-21) Transit hotels: How to get to sleep during your stopover | CNN Travel. Travel.cnn.com. Retrieved on 2013-06-26.
- Sheremetyevo airport: hotels. Svo.aero. Retrieved on 2013-06-26.
- Edward Snowden out of sight in Moscow. The Washington Post (2013-06-20). Retrieved on 2013-06-26.