|Closed Joint Stock Company|
Number of locations
|14 in Russia,
1 in Germany
|Russia, Eastern Europe|
|Products||locomotives, railway vehicles|
|Services||repair operations and service maintenance|
|45.2 billion rubles (receipts 2007)
$3.2 billion (2008)
|275.5 million rubles profit 2007|
|Owner||Breakers Investments B.V. (100%)
RZD (25% +1.)
Other shareholders: Alstom 25(+1)%
Number of employees
|more than 53,000|
- This article is about Transmashholding, for other Russian companies bearing the transmash name see the disambiguation page: Transmash
CJSC Transmashholding is the largest manufacturer of locomotives and rail equipment in Russia, with annual sales of US$3.2 billion and a workforce of 55,000 people in 2008. The company includes 14 engineering and production sites in Russia and one production and engineering site in Germany.
Transmashholding is owned by:
- Russian Railways (25% + 1 share)
- Alstom (25% + 1 share)
- Andrei Bokarev (President of Transmashholding)
- Iskander Makhmudov
The company actively works with JSC Russian Railways, the Ministry of Transportation of the Russian Federation, and other Russian Federation ministries, including Ministry of Industry and Power, Ministry of Economic Development and Trade, and Ministry of Finance.
In 2012, Transmashholding took in 130 billion rubles in revenue. This revenue represents a 22 percent increase over 2011 revenues.
Russian Railways is the company’s biggest customer. Transmashholding has major customers in Bulgaria, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, and Serbia. The company manufactures and sells subway cars, passenger diesel locomotives, diesel engines, freight cars, flat cars, and diesel trains.
The company structure includes several major industrial plants in Russia:
- Novocherkassk Electric Locomotive Plant (NEVZ) / Novocherkassk Electric Locomotive Plant / Новочеркасский электровозостроительный завод ; is the largest electric locomotive producer in Russia.
- Bryanskiy Machine-building Plant / Bryansk Engineering Plant / Брянский машиностроительный завод ; is Russia's largest manufacturer of diesel shunters, also produces freight wagons and marine diesel engines.
- Kolomensky Zavod / Kolomensky Plant / Коломенский завод ; produces diesel locomotives and diesel engines and generators.
- Demikhovsky Machine-building Plant / Демиховский машиностроительный завод ; major producer of electric multiple units.
- Metrovagonmach / Метровагонмаш ; produces urban (metro) electrical multiple units and railcars, also trucks.
- Penzadieselmach / Пензадизельмаш ; produces diesel and gas generator sets, located in Penza.
- Bezhitskiy Staleliteiniy Plant / Bezhitsa Steel Foundry / Бежицкий сталелитейный завод ; produces steel castings including coupling parts.
- Oktyabrskiy Electrovagonoremontniy Plant / Oktyabrsky Electric Railway Car Repair Plant / Октябрьский электровагоноремонтный завод ; performs modernisation, repair and overhaul of passenger rolling stock.
- Tsentrosvarmash / Центросвармаш ; Russia's largest producer of welded products including bogies, railway vehicle superstructure, bridges and mining equipment.
- Transconverter / Трансконвертер ; Joint venture with Siemens AG producing electric supplies for railway vehicles.
- KMT Industrial group / Производственная фирма «КМТ» ; designs and manufacturers passenger vehicle equipment.
- Tverskoy Vagonostroitelniy Zavod (TVZ) / Tver Carriage Works / Тверской вагоностроительный завод (25%) ; develops and produces locomotive hauled passenger vehicles.
- VELNII / Всероссийский научно-исследовательский и проектно-конструкторский институт электровозостроения (ВЭлНИИ); Electric locomotive design company, acquired in 2009.
In May 2008, Bombardier and TMH signed an agreement to form a joint company for the production of locomotives. The equal share companies were organised under the previously formed Bombardier Transportation Transmashholding AG, one as an engineering design centre: Transmashholding Bombardier Transportation (Engineering) Rus and another for the manufacturing of inverter drives (based on Bombardier's MITRAC technology) used in electric locomotives: Transmashholding Bombardier Transportation (Industrial) Rus.
In April 2007, Knorr-Bremse AG and Transmashholding agreed to create a Russian joint venture to manufacture, sell and service rail vehicle braking systems in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.
In December 2007, ALSTOM and Transmasholding signed a cooperation agreement that would lead to the formation of joint ventures for the production of railway components in Russia. In October 2008 the partnership was further extended by the formation of a 51:49 joint venture for the production of double decker coaches TMH-Alstom DV. This intent was ratified on March 31, 2009, with Alstom providing ongoing technical expertise for the modernisation of TMH's production sites, and the development of new locomotive platforms; with TMH undertaking more than 75% of the manufacturing. At the same time Alstom took a 25(+1)% stake in TMH's capital holding company.
In April 2013, Alstom and Transmashholding inaugurated a joint production site intended to asynchronous traction motors for electric locomotives in Novocherkassk, that would later be used to equip the locomotives jointly developed and manufactured by Alstom and TMH for Russia and Kazakhstan. The inauguration ceremony was held in the presence of Russian Railways Senior Vice-President Valentin Gapanovich, TMH Managing Director Andrey Andreev, and Alstom Transport President, Henri Poupart-Lafarge.
Transconverter was formed as a joint venture with Siemens in April 2005 for the production of electrical equipment (high voltage static converters).
- Fahrzeugtechnik Dessau AG (Fahrzeugtechnik Dessau (German)) was part of Transmashholding from 2006 to 2008 and was taken over by the Romanian CTF at the end of 2008.
Transmasholding manufactures diesel-locomotive shunters, main-line and electric industrial locomotives, passenger and freight cars, electric train cars, locomotive and marine diesels, car castings and other products. The company has provided railcars to Warsaw Metro and Baku Metro, among others.
- Russian Railway newsletter Edition 3, 10/2008, Page 2 "Bombardier deal in Russia called off"
- About Transmashholding eng.thholding.ru
- What the Russian papers say - Business & Financial Markets - Transmashholding's blocking stake estimated at $370 million, 28 November 2007
- About the Company
- "Ex-Rosnedra chief Ledovskikh becomes advisor to Transmashholding president", Russia & CIS Business & Financial Daily, 19 Feb 2013
- Dukes, Fred (24 September 2012), "Former Rosnedra CWO joins TransMashHolding board of directors", Metal Mining Wire
- "Russia: Ex-head of Rosnedra becomes new chairman of Transmashholding's board", Kommersant, 16 November 2012
- TMH BOOSTS SALES 22% IN 2012", Ukraine Business Daily, 5 Mar 2013, accessed 13 Mar 2013 via Nexis
- Transmashholding : Enterprises eng.tmholding.ru
- Производственная фирма КМТ KMT tmholding.ru (Russian)
- KMT Industrial group tmholding.ru (English)
- Всероссийский научно-исследовательский и проектно-конструкторский институт электровозостроения. eng.tmholding.ru (in Russian). Transmashholding.
- "Transmashholding Buys Majority Shareholding in VELNII". rtdr.org. 17 February 2009.
- Hogan & Hartson Advises Transmashholding on Joint Venture Project With Bombardier, June 5, 2007
- Bombardier Transportation and Transmashholding Establish Engineering Joint Venture to Develop New Generation May 21, 2008 reuters.com
- Bombardier Transportation and Transmashholding Establish Engineering Joint Venture to Develop New Generation Locomotives 21 May 2008 marketwire.com
- Knorr-Bremse breaks into Russia 1 May 2007 railwaygazette.com
- Alstom and Transmashholding agree to form joint ventures in Russia 14 December 2007 transport.alstom.com
- Alstom Transport and Russian rolling stock manufacturer Transmashholding agree on strategic partnership 6 October 2008 alstom.com
- Alstom and the Russian rail manufacturer Transmashholding sign a strategic partnership agreement 1 April 2009 alstom.com
- "Alstom and partner Transmashholding open new production facility in Russia". Alstom. April 25, 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Transmashholding company press releases eng.tmholding.ru