Transnistrian presidential election, 2011
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Candidate registration is open from 11 September to 11 November. On 14 September, opposition MP and former speaker of the Supreme Council Yevgeny Shevchuk was the first to nominate himself at the CEC. Shevchuk is affiliated with Renewal, who are already supporting Kaminski, signalling a possible split. Shevchuk had been followed by Pridnestrovie Communist Party chairman and MP Oleg Khorzhan, as well as newspaper editor Andrey Safonov, who was also a candidate in the 2006 election.
Soin, Smirnov, Khorzhan, Safonov, Shevchuk and Kaminsky were registered as candidates, Safonov was initially refused registration by CEC with reference to more than 15% of invalid signatures among those gathered in his support, but later registered according to a ruling by Tiraspol city court.
- First round
An exit poll taken showed Smirnov in the lead with 47.38%, with opposition vote split between Shevchuk (23.21%) and Kaminski (22.6%). Transnistrian law requires a majority to be elected, meaning a second round would be necessary.
After the election, the incumbent Smirnov called for the results to be scrapped due to irregularities. Announcement of results was postponed from 12 December to 14 December.
Preliminary results (with 95% of the vote counted) showed that Smirnov was only in third place with 25.5%, with Shevchuk at 39% and Kaminski at 27.7% reaching the run-off round. Kaminski is reportedly Russia's preferred candidate.
A run-off was held on December 25 and according to a source in the Central Election Commission of Transnistria quoted by RIA Novosti Shevchuk won it after garnering 74% of the votes. His rival Anatoliy Kaminskiy received only 20% and acknowledged his defeat. The turnout was 51.7%.
|Candidate||Party||1st round||2nd round|
|Oleg Khorzhan||Pridnestrovie Communist Party||12,646||5.09|
|Total number of votes cast||248,386||100.00||224,010||100.00|
|Total number of registered voters||100.00||426,958||100.00|
|Source: Olvia Press 2 Transnistrian CEC|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Ведущая партия Приднестровья определит своего кандидата в президенты (in Russian). Tiraspol: RIA Novosti. 15 July 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- "Schedule for the elections" (in Russian). Transnistrian Central Electoral Commission. 11 August 2011. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Nominated candidates" (in Russian). Transnistrian Central Electoral Commission. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Список зарегистрированных кандидатов(Russian)
- ЦИК ПМР зарегистрировала Соина Д. Ю. кандидатом в Президенты ПМР(Russian)
- Сегодня, 26 ноября 2011 года ЦИК осуществила регистрацию Сафонова Андрея Михайловича как кандидата в Президенты Приднестровской Молдавской Республики(Russian)
- "Igor Smirnov won presidential elections in Transnistria, according to exit poll data". FOCUS News Agency / Interfax. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- Евгений Шевчук побеждает на выборах президента ПМР, 26.12.2012 (Russian)