After the Beast Machines toyline ended, Hasbro planned a follow-up series called Transtech with character designs commissioned from designer Draxhall Jump. The Transtech line was intended to take the Transformers toyline to its design limits with futuristic-looking bodies and vehicle modes instead of the animal modes used in Beast Wars and Beast Machines. The series was planned to include several surviving Beast Machines characters, one character who died in Beast Wars, and several Transformers: Generation 1 characters. Many concept sketches and several toy prototypes were created, but Hasbro abandoned the idea, importing Car Robots to their markets as a placeholder under the title Transformers: Robots in Disguise until the Transformers: Armada franchise was in production.
Releases and designs
Although the Transtech line never reached production, prototypes for Starscream and Cheetor were constructed, and eventually found their way into the hands of private collectors. Concept sketches have also been seen for Blackarachnia, Cheetor, Depth Charge, Megatron, Nightscream, Optimus Prime, Scavenger, Shockwave, Silverbolt, Starscream and a new character called Immorticon. Below is a more descriptive guide to the designs:
- Blackarachnia: A returning character from Beast Machines, several designs were produced for Blackarachnia, one of which resembled her Beast Machines body. Her vehicle mode is unknown.
- Cheetor: A returning character from Beast Machines, Cheetor's body resembled his Beast Machines form, only much older. His vehicle mode is a F-1 racer.
- Depth Charge: A returning character from Beast Wars, Depth Charge was killed in that series' finale. His vehicle mode is a submarine.
- Megatron: Megatron (unknown which one it is) transforms into a tank.
- Nightscream: A returning character from Beast Machines, several designs were produced for Nightscream which make him appear more bat-like but with no known vehicle mode.
- Optimus Prime: A returning character from Generation 1, Prime replaces Optimus Primal as leader of the Maximals. His body resembles his original Generation 1 incarnation, with the addition of two large power generators on his back. His vehicle mode is a truck.
- Scavenger: A new character, several designs were produced for Scavenger. His vehicle mode is a bulldozer.
- Shockwave: A returning character from Generation 1, Shockwave is now an assassin. His vehicle mode is a six-wheeler low rider which emits shockwaves from its engine.
- Silverbolt: A returning character from Beast Machines, Silverbolt maintains his samurai-like look. His vehicle mode is a jet, although his final head design was never completed.
- Starscream: A returning character from Generation 1, Starscream has a new form which is blue and bears no resemblance to his original form. His vehicle mode is a jet. This character eventually received a biography in the Transformers Collectors Club Magazine.
- Immorticon: Immorticon is a new character although his head design was not completed.
Transtech has also been used in an exclusive 2008 comic produced for the official magazine.
- "The Official Transformers Collectors' Club". Transformersclub.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.