TravelCenters of America
|Traded as||NYSE: TA|
|Headquarters||Westlake, Ohio, United States|
Number of locations
|249 (July 2014)|
|Services||Diesel fuel and gasoline; Truck repair and maintenance; Restaurants; Convenience stores; Driver amenities|
|Revenue||US$6,166.2 Million (2008)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references
Number of locations
TA and Petro Stopping Centers is the largest full-service travel center company in the United States. The majority of customers are professional truck drivers. The corporate headquarters is located in Westlake, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. The company operates under both its namesake brand and the Petro Stopping Centers brand.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2008)|
Around 1997, TA bought out the first chain of national truckstops, Union 76 and closed or sold most of the old truckstops. TA kept a few and changed them over to TA locations. On August 25, 1998, the company announced it would acquire 19 Burns Bros. Travel Stops, closing two of the locations.
On May 31, 2007, TravelCenters of America acquired rival Petro Stopping Centers Much like the later merger between Pilot Travel Centers and Flying J, T/A has continued to use both the T/A and Petro brands, though some Petro's were later sold off to rival chains or had their franchise contracts eliminated if they were within competition of a T/A location.
On October 4, 2007 Land Line magazine reported that the company will spend $135 million to fix up its truck stops. The work was expected to be completed by the end of 2008.[dated info] In 2008, TA was listed as 395 on the Fortune 500 list. TA's main competitors include Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores and Pilot Flying J.
Recently,[when?] the company launched a line of "Goasis" travel stops designed to cater to families and other non-professional drivers. The centers include family bathrooms and a wider range of food and beverage offerings.
Most if not all of the TA truck stops offer Truck services to include but not limited to: Preventive Maintenance, Tire sales and service, Alignments, HVAC system diagnosis and repair, State-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, In-depth electrical repair, and extensive vehicle repair and diagnosis. The truckshops endorse TIA and ASE certifications. TA also boasts the most comprehensive PM service and checks on the road. 24 HR road services and back by ROADSQUAD.
Goasis in Ashland, Ohio
On February 27, 2006, Travelcenters of America LLC had a lawsuit about conspiring to refuse to process payment card transactions using the TCH electronic processing platform, and paid a $5,000,000 settlement.
- "TA and Petro Stopping Centers Location and Amenities Guide" (.xls). Travel Centers of America. 8 July 2014. Archived from the original on 2 August 2014.[self-published source]
- "TravelCenters of America to Acquire Burns Bros. Travel Stops Expands Network in Western and Northwestern States" (Press release). Travel Centers of America. 25 August 1998. Archived from the original on 2 December 1998.[self-published source]
- money.aol.com[dead link]
- "TravelCenters of America Acquires Petro" (Press release). PETRO Shopping Centers. 31 May 2007. Archived from the original on 15 August 2007.[self-published source]
- WD Partners. "Goasis". Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "TravelCenters, Flying J End Antitrust Case".