Summer 2012 cover of travelgirl featuring Celine Dion
|First issue||June 2003|
travelgirl, an American magazine published by travelgirl, Inc., started in June 2003, specializing in travel, principally recreational for tourism. The magazine is targeted at women, who make more than 75% of all family travel decisions.
travelgirl magazine was the first national travel publication launched after the tragic events of 9/11 and was named "one of the most notable launches of 2003" by industry guru Samir "Mr. Magazine" Husni, Ph.D..
The magazine addresses numerous topics, such as health, humor, family, finance, romance, fitness, spirituality and wellness, and especially tips to save money and time in the world of travel. Its editorial staff includes nurses, flight attendants, chefs and seasoned journalists, including several former CNN employees. One of the contributing editors, Janice McDonald, is also a former Miss South Carolina USA.
Since its third issue in Winter 2003, each issue features travel advice and relevant generational lifestyle content using hard-to-get interviews from a noted celebrity as the cover girl, including political figures, actresses, supermodels, television journalists, and many other talented personalities.
The magazine was awarded a North American Travel Journalists Association Judge's Award on January 1, 2005, for Overall Achievement and Excellence.
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Winter 2003
- Jane Fonda, February–March 2004
- Carol Alt, May–June 2004
- Lauren Hutton, October–November 2004
- Cher, January–February 2005 (issue features the legendary story of the late fashion designer Oleg Cassini)
- Phyllis George, March–April 2005
- Soledad O'Brien, May–June 2005
- Jayne Seymour, July–August 2005 (cover designed by artist Peter Max)
- Paula Zahn, September–October 2005
- Christina Applegate, Winter 2005-2006
- Niki Taylor, January–February 2006
- Miss USA Chelsea Cooley, March–April 2006
- Cindy Adams, May–June 2006
- Diane von Furstenberg, July–August 2006
- Danica Patrick, September–October 2006
- Liza Minnelli, November–December 2006
- Melissa & Joan Rivers, January–February 2007
- Robin Roberts, March–April 2007
- Annika Sörenstam, May–June 2007
- Kerry Butler & Olivia Newton-John, August–September 2007
- Reba McEntire, October–November 2007
- Sutton Foster, December–January 2008
- Carol Alt, February–March 2008
- Christine Baranski, April–May 2008
- Advertising Age - Female Consumers Dominate Travel Business Purchasing, by Marti Barletta. Accessed August 31, 2006.