|Born||Travis Kuualiialoha Browne
July 17, 1982
Oahu, Hawaii, U.S.
|Ethnicity||European American Native Hawaiian|
|Height||6 ft 7 in (201 cm)|
|Weight||243 lb (110 kg; 17 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||80.0 in (203 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.|
|Team||Jackson's Submission Fighting
Glendale Fight Club (mid 2014 - present)
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2009 – present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Amateur Muay Thai record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Travis Kuualiialoha Browne (born July 17, 1982) is an American mixed martial artist who competes as a heavyweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of January 17, 2014, he is #3 in official UFC Heavyweight rankings and ranked the #4 Heavyweight in the world by Sherdog.
Browne was born in Oahu, Hawaii, and competed in basketball, winning the 2000 Coastal North League Player of the Year while attending high school in San Diego and then continued his career at Palomar College. Browne had no martial arts experience before being introduced to Brazilian jiu-jitsu at the age of 26. Browne also began training in boxing and had his first professional fight less than a year later.
Mixed martial arts career
Browne began his professional MMA career in 2009, fighting in smaller organizations such as Bellator Fighting Championships, Gladiator Challenge and King of the Cage. He quickly amassed an undefeated winning streak of 9–0.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In March 2010, Browne signed with the UFC. He made his debut at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale against James McSweeney. Browne won the fight via TKO at 4:32 of the first round.
Browne fought UFC veteran Cheick Kongo at UFC 120. The fight was even heading into the third round, with Browne winning the first round on the judge's scorecards and Kongo taking the second. In the third and final round, Kongo was penalized with a point deduction for repeatedly grabbing and holding Browne's shorts.
Browne agreed to fight UFC newcomer Chad Griggs on April 21, 2012 at UFC 145. He defeated Griggs by submission due to an arm-triangle choke in the first round. The performance earned Browne Submission of the Night honors.
Browne faced Antonio Silva on October 5, 2012 at the main event of UFC on FX 5. Browne came out aggressive, showing a variety of striking techniques. Browne tore his left hamstring. Silva was able to capitalize, backing Browne up, landing a big right hand and finishing with punches from the top, giving Browne his first professional loss. During the post-fight press conference, Browne said that even though he got injured, it didn't take anything away from Bigfoot's victory. A camera crew from Vice Media followed and interviewed Browne before and after the fight with Silva.
Browne faced Gabriel Gonzaga on April 13, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. Browne defeated Gonzaga via first round knockout by elbows to the back of the head. The performance earned Browne Knockout of the Night honors but was heavily scrutinized because of the illegality of Browne's elbows, which landed on the back of Gonzaga's head and were thrown in a prohibited "12 to 6" motion. Gonzaga's appeal to the Nevada State Athletic Commission was denied.
Browne faced Alistair Overeem on August 17, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 26. After surviving Overeem's initial flurry, Browne won via knockout due to a front kick and punches in the first round. The impressive knockout also earned Browne his third Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Browne faced Josh Barnett on December 28, 2013 at UFC 168. Browne won exactly a minute into the match via knockout due to elbows while Barnett was attempting a takedown. This earned him the Knockout of the Night bonus for his third straight fight.
Browne faced Fabricio Werdum on April 19, 2014 at UFC on Fox 11. Despite being a betting favorite with better considered striking, Browne was outstruck for nearly all five rounds after scoring an early knockdown on Werdum in the first round. Browne also said that he suffered a broken hand, ribs and dislocated his foot at some point during the fight. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Championships and Accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Gladiator Challenge
- Gladiator Challenge Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- Victory Fighting Championship
- VFC Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- MMA Insider.net
- MMA Nuts.com
- World MMA Awards
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|20 matches||17 wins||2 losses|
|Win||17–2–1||Brendan Schaub||TKO (punches)||UFC 181||December 6, 2014||1||4:50||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||16–2–1||Fabricio Werdum||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||5||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States||UFC Heavyweight title eliminator|
|Win||16–1–1||Josh Barnett||KO (elbows)||UFC 168||December 28, 2013||1||1:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||15–1–1||Alistair Overeem||KO (front kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||1||4:08||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||14–1–1||Gabriel Gonzaga||KO (elbows)||The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale||April 13, 2013||1||1:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Loss||13–1–1||Antonio Silva||TKO (punches)||UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot||October 5, 2012||1||3:27||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||13–0–1||Chad Griggs||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||1||2:29||Atlanta, Georgia, United States||Submission of the Night|
|Win||12–0–1||Rob Broughton||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 135||September 24, 2011||3||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||11–0–1||Stefan Struve||KO (superman punch)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||1||4:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Draw||10–0–1||Cheick Kongo||Draw (unanimous)||UFC 120||October 16, 2010||3||5:00||London, England||Kongo was deducted 1 point for holding onto Browne's shorts|
|Win||10–0||James McSweeney||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale||June 19, 2010||1||4:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Aaron Brink||KO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge 111||February 21, 2010||1||0:35||San Jacinto, California, United States||Won Gladiator Challenge HW Championship|
|Win||8–0||Abe Wagner||TKO (punches)||VFC 30 – Night of Champions||February 5, 2010||1||0:10||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States||Won VFC HW Championship|
|Win||7–0||Brian Campbell||KO (head kick)||Gladiator Challenge 107||November 8, 2009||1||0:10||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Matt Anderson||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge 98||July 23, 2009||2||0:49||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Mychal Clark||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 10||June 5, 2009||3||5:00||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Sergio Calderon||KO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge 93||April 23, 2009||1||1:53||Pauma Valley, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Tom Lozano||Submission (armbar)||EF 9 – Espartan Fighting 9||March 14, 2009||1||0:55||Puerto Escondido, Mexico|
|Win||2–0||Michael Westbrook||TKO (punches)||King of the Cage – Immortal||February 27, 2009||3||1:22||San Bernardino, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Evan Langford||TKO (punches)||Cage of Fire 15||February 7, 2009||1||0:43||Tijuana, Mexico|
- "Travis Browne - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Werdum vs. Browne". UFC.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Travis Browne Explains His Departure From Jackson’s MMA – EXCLUSIVE". bjpenn.com. October 2, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (September 1, 2014). "Travis Browne training with Ronda Rousey's coach in Glendale, hasn't been back to Jackson's MMA since loss to Fabricio Werdum". MMAmania.com.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog’s Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". January 5, 2014.
- "Bellator vet Travis Browne signs with UFC, faces James McSweeney in debut". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-05.
- "James McSweeney vs. Travis Browne set for The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-08.
- "Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve targeted for UFC 130 in May". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved January 6, 2010.
- Stupp, Dann. "UFC 135 main-card results: Jones chokes out 'Rampage,' Koscheck KOs Hughes". mmaJunkie.com. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "UFC 145; seven bouts shift to Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. January 20, 2012.
- "UFC on Fox 4 Fight Card Updates". ufc.com. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Heavyweights Travis Browne, Antonio Silva to headline UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis". mmajunkie.com. July 27, 2012.
- "Before and After the Fight with Travis Browne". youtube.com. January 9, 2013.
- Staff (2013-02-11). "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Travis Browne booked for The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- Steven Marrocco and John Morgan (2013-05-22). "Alistair Overeem vs. Travis Browne set as UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 non-headliner". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Staff (2013-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 26 bonuses: Browne, Brown, Sonnen, McDonald, Pickett earn awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Brett Okamoto (2013-12-28). espn.com http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/10195102/travis-browne-makes-statement-stops-josh-barnett. Retrieved 2013-12-28. Missing or empty
- Steven Marrocco (2014-01-13). "UFC on FOX 11 heads to Florida with Werdum vs. Browne, Tate vs. Carmouche". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-13.
- Cole, Ross (21 April 2014). "Travis Browne Broke Hand, Ribs And Dislocated Bones In Foot During Loss To Fabricio Werdum". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Marc Raimondi (2014-09-09). "Travis Browne returns to meet Brendan Schaub at UFC 181 in December". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- MMA Fighting Newswire (2015-02-18). "UFC 187 rounds out main card with fights between Andrei Arlovski-Travis Browne, John Moraga-Joseph Benavidez". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-18.
- "Travis Browne Girlfriend Jenna Renee". December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Travis Browne looks to take down Stefan (Skyscraper) Struve at UFC 130". Winnipegfreepress.com. 2011-05-27. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Travis Browne: Contender and Working Class Hero!". Fightpros.com. 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2011-05-29.