15 July 1979 |
nr. Echuca, Victoria, Australia
|Occupation||Actor, former model|
Travis Fimmel (born 15 July 1979) is an Australian actor and former model. He is best known for his high-profile Calvin Klein campaign, for co-starring opposite Patrick Swayze in the TV series The Beast and for his break-out role as the lead in the History Channel's critically acclaimed series Vikings.
Fimmel was born near the small country town of Echuca, between Melbourne and Sydney, and raised there. He is the son of Jennie, a nurse, and Chris, a cattle farmer. He is the youngest of three brothers, and grew up on a 5500-acre dairy farm in Lockington. He moved to Melbourne in his late teens to play professional AFL Football for the St Kilda Football Club, but a broken leg sidelined him before the season began. He was accepted into Melbourne University to study commercial architecture and engineering but later deferred to travel abroad.
Fimmel's modelling career first began when he was spotted working out at a gym in the Melbourne suburb of Hawthorn by the flatmate of Matthew Anderson, a talent scout for the prestigious Chadwick Models agency.
Fimmel headed overseas and was signed on the spot with agency LA Models in 2002 after walking into their office broke and barefoot. He then became the first male in the world to secure a six-figure deal to model exclusively for Calvin Klein for a year. He fronted CK's Crave men's fragrance campaign and modelled the brand's famous underwear. It was reported that one of his London billboards had to be pulled down after complaints from an auto club of traffic congestion and accidents by 'rubbernecking' female drivers, but Fimmel insisted the story started with a rumor spread on the internet.
He was named one of the world's sexiest bachelors by America's People magazine in 2002 and at the time was regarded as "the most in-demand male model in the world". It has even been suggested by some journalists that Fimmel was the inspiration for Sex and the City heartthrob 'Jerry' Smith Jerrod.
Fimmel appeared on magazine covers including France's Numero Homme and America's TV Guide, as well as on top-rating American TV shows in 2003 including Jimmy Kimmel Live!, The Sharon Osbourne Show, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, MTV's Total Request Live and entertainment TV news program Extra. He also made a cameo appearance in the bar scene of a video clip for Janet Jackson's "Someone to Call My Lover" and played a hunk loading hay onto the back of a pick-up truck in Jennifer Lopez's "I'm Real" (not to be confused with her song of the same name featuring rapper Ja Rule).
Fimmel studied under Hollywood acting coach Ivana Chubbuck, taking two years to pluck up the courage to audition for his first role, saying "half of acting is overcoming your fears [and] letting yourself be vulnerable in front of people". He landed the title lead in Warner Bros. 2003 TV series Tarzan, described by CNN as one of the "five hottest things happening in entertainment right now”, in which he did most of his own stunts. In addition, he appeared in the studio's pilot Rocky Point (with Lauren Holly) in 2005, the Fox movie Southern Comfort Madeleine Stowe) in 2006 and The Big Valley with Richard Dreyfuss and Jessica Lange in 2011.
Fimmel has played a diverse spectrum of characters on the small and big screens. In 2008, he portrayed a murderer in Restraint and a party boy in Surfer, Dude with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. In 2010, he portrayed a compassionate cowboy in Pure Country 2: The Gift and a forensic photographer in Australian horror movie Needle, co-starring Ben Mendelsohn.
He depicted a talented classical pianist in Ivory, a “creative, edgy, out-of-the box” independent film that was an Official Selection in the 2010 Montreal World Film Festival and the Strasbourg International Film Festival. Produced by Academy Award-winner Gray Frederickson and co-starring Martin Landau and Peter Stormare, Ivory “details the troubled lives of classical pianists at a major American conservatory as they confront personal and professional rivalry during the rigors of training.”
It was Fimmel's role as Helweg, a cheeky-but-brutish prison guard, that saw him star opposite Academy Award recipients Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker as well as Cam Gigandet in the 2010 film release The Experiment. It was reported that the role originally went to Elijah Wood, who pulled out of shooting for reasons unknown, so Fimmel instead took the job. The film is based on a real-life experiment on volunteers by Stanford University that was cut short after spinning out of control, with 'guards' exhibiting sadistic behaviour and 'prisoners' suffering depression.
Fimmel's TV profile received a boost when he starred opposite Patrick Swayze in cable network A&E's 2009 series, The Beast (screened in Australia on ABC2). He played rookie undercover FBI agent Ellis Dove partnered with a hardened veteran cop, Swayze's Charles Barker. Fimmel's character relies on his wits to navigate a high-pressure environment, browbeaten by Barker and resisting attempts by Internal Affairs to force him to spy on his mentor. Production ceased after 13 episodes due to Swayze's death from pancreatic cancer”.
He then played fugitive Mason Boyle in two episodes of NBC's 2010 action-adventure Chase (season 1, episodes 1 and 8), produced by Emmy Award-winning Jerry Bruckheimer. Fimmel depicted a dangerous man on the run after a murderous rampage, tracked down by a team of US marshals who later try to enlist his help in nabbing a serial killer.
Fimmel appeared in FX's TV pilot Outlaw Country in 2011 with Luke Grimes, described as a “modern drama set against the back drop of a southern organized crime family”. According to Variety magazine, he plays a rugged, “hard-drinking gang member and the main character's best friend”.
He co-starred with Billy Bob Thornton and Eva Longoria in the 2013 redneck Southern comedy flick The Baytown Outlaws. He played one of the three hapless Oodie brothers who bites off more than he can chew when he agrees to help a woman get her godson back from her deadbeat ex-husband.
Displaying a penchant for tough characters, Fimmel plays the lead in 2012's Harodim (originally called The Lazarus Protocol) with Peter Fonda as a former intelligence officer trained in black ops tracking down the world's most wanted terrorist who is compromised by his own chain of command. A thriller blending a fictional narrative with actual news footage, the film was shot in 21 days among disused ironworks outside of Vienna.
BlackBoxTV, a horror, science fiction and thriller channel featured Fimmel in Reawakening. He is cast with another Calvin Klein model-turned-actor, Dylan Bruno, as a fat murdered cop who gets a chance to settle a few scores through a body swap with a superior human.
Fimmel was signed as the lead character in the television series Vikings, costarring Jessalyn Gilsig, Katheryn Winnick and Gabriel Byrne. Premiering in 2013, the show was filmed in Ireland over 18 weeks and chronicles "the extraordinary and ferocious world of the mighty Norsemen who raided, traded and explored during medieval times." He plays Ragnar Lothbrok who is loosely based on Ragnar Loðbrók, the legendary Viking leader who is frustrated by the unadventurous tendencies of his local chieftan and strikes out to pillage new lands. USA Today described Fimmel's performance as "engaging", while the Huffington Post called it his "breakout role". Created by renowned writer and period drama specialist Michael Hirst, Vikings is distributed globally by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Episodes were directed by Ciarán Donnelly (The Tudors, Titanic: Blood and Steel), Ken Girotti (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) and Johan Renck (Breaking Bad). Following strong ratings, it was announced that the show would be renewed for a ten-episode second season. Fimmel will be starring in Warcraft, a live action adaptation based on the video games of the same name.
Fimmel also played a celebrity cricket match in the 2009 Australia vs England Hollywood Ashes with fellow Australian actors Jesse Spencer (from House) and Cameron Daddo (from Models Inc.), plus celebrity chef Curtis Stone, INXS bass guitarist Garry Gary Beers and fast bowler Michael Kasprowicz.
- 2008: Restraint as Ron
- 2008: Surfer, Dude as Johnny Doran
- 2010: Ivory as Jake
- 2010: The Experiment as Helweg
- 2010: Needle as Marcus Rutherford
- 2010: Pure Country 2: The Gift as Dale Jordan
- 2011: Supremacy (short film) as Garrett Tully
- 2011: The Big Valley (post production)
- 2012: Harodim as Lazarus Fell
- 2013: The Baytown Outlaws as McQueen Oodie
- 2014: Overdrive as Andrew
- 2016: Warcraft
- 2003: Tarzan (Tarzan, 8 episodes) as John Clayton/Tarzan
- 2003: Extra (one episode) as
- 2003: MTV's Total Request Live (one episode) as
- 2005: Rocky Point (1 episode) as Taj Walters
- 2006: Southern Comfort (TV movie) as Bobby
- 2009: The Beast (main character, 13 episodes) as Ellis Dove/Carlson
- 2010: Chase (2 episodes) as Mason Boyle
- 2011: Outlaw Country (post production)
- 2012: Reawakening (one episode)
- 2013–present: Vikings (main character) as Ragnar Lothbrok
- Prudom, Laura Vikings On History: Travis Fimmel Previews The Journey Of Ragnar Lothbrok The Huffington Post, 4 March 2013
- Vikings Renewed for Season 2 by History, The Huffington Post, Retrieved 5 April 2013
- People Magazine official website, , 3 November 2003
- Kee, William K.C. Talents from Down Under The Star, 14 June 2010
- SPE Networks-Asia, Sony Entertainment official website, , Retrieved 25 March 2011
- Official Website  Retrieved 5 May 2011
- Lee, Luaine 'The Beast's' Travis Fimmel is Happy Down on the Farm The Denver Post, 28 January 2009
- Lewis, Felicity Model Hunter, The Age Melbourne Magazine, 29 February 2008
- Hello magazine,, Retrieved 26 March 2011
- Epaminondas, George, Naked in New York, The Age, 27 January 2002
- Internet Movie Database official website , Retrieved 25 March 2011
- Tai, Elizabeth Partners in Crime Drama 10 May 2009
- People Magazine, 24 June 2002
- Herald Sun, Former Calvin Klein Model Travis Fimmel Films Horror Movie with Jessica Marais, Luke Wilson" 21 December 2009 
- The Daily Telegraph Travis Fimmel Shows Off His Body at Hollywood Ashes 11 May 2009
- The Age, With Stars In Their Eyes 21 August 2003
- Hello Magazine,  Retrieved 25 March 2011
- ShareTV official site,  Retrieved 8 April 2011
- The Daily Telegraph Don't Make Me A Supermodel Judge: Travis Fimmel 6 July 2008
- Hello! Magazine Profile: Travis Fimmel Retrieved 9 May 2011
- CNN, Five of the Hottest Things Happening in Entertainment Right Now 18 September 2003
- McDaniel, Mike From Jockeys to the Jungle, 20 July 2003
- The Telegraph, Ben Mendelsohn ties the knot with British writer and Hollywood 'it' girl Emma Forrest in Los Angeles 10 June 2012
- Official Website  Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- Price, Matthew,  The Oklahoman, Retrieved 6 July 2012]
- IMDB trivia The Experiment Retrieved 6 May 2011
- Sony Lockdown on 'Experiment' The Hollywood Reporter, 4 August 2009
- Zimbardo, Philip Simulation Experiment of the Psychology of Imprisonment Conducted at Stanford University, Retrieved 18 March 2012
- Salem, Rob Watching, Waiting and Hoping for Swayze, 12 January 2009
- Sydney Morning Herald Patrick Swayze Dead 15 September 2009
- TV Guide  Retrieved 29 April 2011
- Access Hollywood NBC Announces Jerry Bruckheimer's 'Chase' for Fall Lineup 10 May 2010
- David, Greg Killer Conversation: An Old Face From Annie's Past Resurfaces on 'Chase' TV Guide, 16 November 2010
- Kroll, Justin Travis Fimmel to Star in FX's 'Outlaw Country', 9 September 2010
- McClintock, Pamela Billy Bob Thornton Redneck Comedy 'Baytown Disco' Adds Three New Stars Hollywood Reporter, 28 April 2011
- Terra Mater Factual Studios  Retrieved 13 March 2012
- Horn, Andrew Red Bull Charges Into Theaters Variety, 8 December 2011
- BlackBox TV  Retrieved 7 June 2012
- UPI  Retrieved 29 June 2012
- Goldberg, Lesley 'Glee's' Jessalyn Gilsig to Co-Star in History Channel's 'Vikings' Drama Hollywood Reporter, 28 June 2012
- Irish Film Board  Retrieved 24 January 2013
- Bianco, Robert Vikings takes the pillage, raises it to derring-do USA Today, 26 February 2013
- Irish Film & Television Network, Aussie Actor Travis Fimmel Lands Lead Role In 'Vikings' Retrieved 28 June 2012
- ‘Vikings’ Actor Travis Fimmel Game for Legendary’s ‘Warcraft’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Official Website
- Ellis, James Travis Fimmel Metro UK, Retrieved 2 May 2011
- Aussies Defeat England in Hollywood Ashes 2009 14 May 2009
- Travis Fimmel at the Internet Movie Database
- Official website
- Travis Fimmel's pics and bio in hola.com
Michael T. Weiss
|Actors to portray Tarzan