|Type||Public (LSE: TPK)|
|Founded||1988 through merger between Travis & Arnold and Sandell Perkins|
|Headquarters||Northampton, United Kingdom|
|Area served||United Kingdom|
|Key people||Robert Walker (Chairman)
John Carter (CEO)
|Products||Building and home improvement materials, tool hire|
|Revenue||£5,148.7 million (2013)|
|Operating income||£347.6 million (2013)|
|Net income||£249.5 million (2013)|
|Employees||circa 24,000 (2013)|
Travis Perkins plc (LSE: TPK) is a British builders' merchant and home improvement retailer based in Northampton and is a supplier of building materials. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company began in 1797, when the Benjamin Ingram company of joiners and carpenters was founded at 33 Beech Street in the City of London. Benjamin Ingram subsequently merged with Perkins to become Ingram Perkins.
Sandell Perkins was formed in 1970 following the merger of Sandell Smythe & Drayson and Ingram Perkins. Sandell Smythe & Drayson was itself the product of a 1964 merger of Joseph Sandell (formed in 1812) and Smythe & Drayson which had itself formed in 1954 from J. & A.S. Smythe (formed 1785) and Geo. Drayson & Son (formed 1875).
Together with a number of smaller acquisitions Sandell Perkins acquired Broad & Co. (formed in 1881) in 1975. Sandell Perkins was listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1986. At that time it had 49 branches principally based around London and the South-East.
Travis Perkins was formed by a merger between Travis & Arnold and Sandell Perkins in 1988.
Subsequent acquisitions have included AAH (46 branches) in 1994, BMSS (26 branches) in 1996, Keyline Builders Merchants (101 branches) and Sharpe & Fisher (38 branches) in 1998, City Plumbing Supplies Limited (48 branches) and Commercial Ceiling Factors (20 distribution centres) in 2002, Jayhard (53 branches) and B&G (12 branches) in 2003, Wickes (171 stores) in 2005 and Tile Giant in 2007.
The company's product lines include general building materials, kitchens and bathrooms, hand and power tools, landscaping materials, painting and decorating materials, timber and joists. Businesses comprise:
- Travis Perkins - general builders' merchant
- BSS - specialist distributor of heating, ventilation, tools, pipeline
- Wickes - home improvement stores
- PTS - Plumbing trade supplies - bathroom, heating and plumbing products to trade and public
- CCF - distributor of insulation, dry-lining, partitioning
- Keyline - heavyside and civils merchant
- DHS - Direct Heating Spares - heating spares
- City Plumbing Supplies - specialists in quality plumbing and heating supplies to the trade and public
- SBS - Sustainable Building Solutions
- Toolstation - direct sale and online supplier of trade tools, accessories and hardware products
- Connections - distributor of plumbing and heating products
- City Heating Spares - heating spares
- F & P Wholesale - plumbing & heating supplies
- Benchmarx - trade supplier of kitchens and joinery
- BPT - Birchwood Price Tools - wholesaler of power tools, hand tools and site equipment
- Tile Giant - tile and ceramics merchant
- "Preliminary Results 2013". Travis Perkins.
- Travis Perkins: History
- Travis Perkins buys rival for £184m
- Travis Perkins buys Wickes
- Travis Perkins buys Tile Giant
- "Travis Perkins takes mybuilder.com stake". 29 May 2008.
- Fletcher, Nick (28 May 2010). "BSS jumps 34% after £553m offer from Travis Perkins". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- Wickes owner buys remaining 70% of Toolstation Retail Gazette, 3 January 2012
- Travis Perkins: Our businesses
- Northampton Saints Link updated - 9/8/13