|Also known as||Hard Hitters|
|Origin||Decatur, Georgia, United States|
|Labels||Porter House Music Group, RCA|
|Associated acts||Tyga, Waka Flocka Flame|
Strap Da Fool
Travis Porter is an American hip hop group from Decatur, Georgia. Ali and Quez are step brothers; the two met Strap while attending the same middle school. The three grew up together and in 2006 began exploring music. The group's biggest hits are "Aww Yea", "Go Shorty Go", "Bananas", "Ayy Ladies", "Bring It Back" and "Make It Rain" produced by F-K-I. Travis Porter released a biographical film titled Proud to be a Problem on May 18, 2010. Travis Porter has a YouTube channel with over 130 million views and a Twitter page. In November 2010 the trio signed with Jive Records.
Travis Porter consists of Lakeem "Ali" Mattox, Donquez "Quez" Woods and Harold "Strap" Duncan. The group started out as the Hard Hitters, but changed their name to Travis Porter in late 2008 to be more marketable. Besides performing throughout the USA, Travis Porter has performed internationally. In 2008 the trio played in Kaiserslautern and Bamberg, Germany. Travis Porter would quickly earned major popularity through their mixtapes, show performances & through social media. Four of their biggest underground hits include "Black Boy White Boy", "Uh Huh", "Go Shorty Go" & "All the Way Turnt Up". They appeared in one of Atlanta's biggest concerts, Birthday Bash, during the summer of 2010 and on the The Mo'Nique Show. They performed with Canada’s own Drake at BMI’s Unsigned Artist showcase in Atlanta. Though when they were unsigned they still worked with notable signed artist such as Roscoe Dash, Fast Life Yungstaz & Waka Flocka Flame. Travis Porter was also featured on MTV Jams Feb 5. The group also received Myspace’s #1 unsigned group title. Their single "Go Shorty Go" made it on the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Chart and in fall 2010. They also recently joined the BMI family.[when?] The trio was honored in the Underground Music Awards 2010 in New York City with other well-known underground artists like J. Cole with the “Most Dynamic Rap Group Duo” award. Gucci Mane reportedly announced interest in signing Travis Porter to 1017 Brick Squad Records, saying "Just give me 12-15 songs. I don't know about that other stuff. Handle your business". But the group would eventually end up signing a record deal with Jive Records.
2010-2013: From Day 1
On December 22, 2010 their debut studio album single "Make it Rain" hit number 50 on the urban radio charts and debuted on the charts at number 97 then climbed to number 46. On October 7, 2011 RCA Music Group announced it was disbanding Jive Records along with Arista Records and J Records. With the shutdown, the group (and all other artists previously signed to these three labels) will release their future material on the RCA Records brand.  On February 7, 2011 Travis Porter released their second single entitled "Bring It Back".
In 2012, their single "Ayy Ladies" with Young Money rapper Tyga peaked at #56 on the Hot 100 and topped the Heatseekers Songs chart, becoming Porter's most successful song to date. Their debut studio album, From Day 1, was released on May 29, 2012 on RCA Records and Porter House Music.
"All the Way Turnt Up" caused controversy with Roscoe Dash. After Roscoe Dash came up with the song and asked Travis Porter to be featured on it Travis Porter added the song to their mixtape causing fans to believe it was not Roscoe Dash’s song, but Travis Porter's. Soon Roscoe Dash released another version of the song through his label Interscope Records featuring Soulja Boy.
Young Dro and Yung L.A.
- Studio albums
- From Day 1 (2012)
- TBA (2015)
|2012||Red Rock||As Themselves||Co-Directed & Co-Produced|
- Metcalf, S. (2010, March 02). "Rap group Travis Porter finally answers the popular question, 'Who is Travis Porter?'". Retrieved from http://www.theriteher.com/2010/03/rap-group-travis-porter-finally-answers-the-popular-question-who-is-travis-porter-2/
- Lujano, J. (Artist). (2010). The Travis porter movie. [Web]. Retrieved from http://wearetravisporter.com/about-2/
- Boyd, M. (2010, May 03). Bringing you up to speed: Travis Porter. Retrieved from http://hiphopatlunch.com/2010/05/bringing-you-up-to-speed-travis-porter/
- Marschhauser, Brian (2010, November 30). Travis Porter Talks to benzino About Jive Deal. http://www.thesource.com/articles/32482/Travis-Porter-Talks-to-The-Source-About-Jive-Deal
- Travis Porter - City Hall in Denver - Denver Post
- Travis Porter | Topics | BET
- Metcalf, S. (2010, March 02). Rap group travis porter finally answers the popular question, “who is travis porter?”. Retrieved from http://www.theriteher.com/2010/03/rap-group-travis-porter-finally-answers-the-popular-question-who-is-travis-porter-2/
- Lujano, J. (2010, November 22). "Upcoming Tour Dates, Travis Porter". Retrieved from http://blog.wearetravisporter.com/?p=419
- Porter House Music Group. (2010). Events. Retrieved from http://blog.wearetravisporter.com/?page_id=156
- McBee, J. (Photographer). (2010). Their Exclusive video: travis porter on how they got to birthday bash 15. They also started their own record label Porter House Music Group. [Web]. Retrieved from http://hotspotatl.com/videos/jazzy/exclusive-video-travis-porter-rock-their-hometown/
- King, V. (Photographer). (2010). travis porter live on Mo’nique perform go shorty go. [Web]. Retrieved from http://keepittrill.com/videos/2010/03/travis-porter-live-monique-perform-shorty/
- "Drake & Travis Porter Headline BMI Unsigned Urban Showcase in Atlanta". broadwayworld.com. April 21, 2010.
- Banks, Rico. (2009, December 01). Travis porter & waka flocka flame – streets r us– dj teknikz. Retrieved from http://www.wordofsouth.com/2009/12/01/travis-porter-waka-flocka-flame-dj-teknikz-%E2%80%93-streets-r-us/
- Says, T. (2010, July 05). Watch Travis Porter on MTV Jams.
- Boyd, M. (2010, May 03). Bringing you up to speed: travis porter
- . (2010, November 17). Travis Porter, “The Basics”. Retrieved from http://www.billboard.com/artist/430388/travis+porter/chart
- Horowitz, S.J. (2010, August 24). J. cole, tiye phoenix win at underground music awards
- (2010). Gucci Mane Wants To Sign Travis Porter To Bricksquad. [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhYRdMv5Cb4Wl9UL39.
- "RCA's New Executive Team Named Under CEO Peter Edge Amid Layoffs (Update)". Billboard.biz. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- Ryon, Sean (March 22, 2012). "Travis Porter Announce Release Date And Title Of Debut LP". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- Reid, S. (2010, November 22). Unsigned Atlanta trio say new mixtape is 'giving most signed artists problems,' in Mixtape Daily
- Williford, Fredrickus. "Travvvy! Travis Porter From ATL to the World." Ezine Articles 06 Mar 2010: n. pag. Web. 07 Sep 2010.