San Diego Padres
June 30, 1993 |
Lake Worth, Florida
Trea Vance Turner (born June 30, 1993) is an American professional baseball shortstop in the San Diego Padres' organization. He played college baseball at North Carolina State University (NC State). He was drafted by the Padres in the first round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft.
Turner attended Park Vista Community High School in Lake Worth, Florida, where he played for his school's baseball team. Turner was lightly recruited by college programs, only receiving scholarship offers from North Carolina State University (NC State) and Florida Atlantic University. The Pittsburgh Pirates selected Turner in the 20th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft, but Turner opted to attend NC State, to play college baseball for the NC State Wolfpack baseball team in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I.
As a freshman in 2012, Turner recorded 57 stolen bases, which was more than the team totals of 158 Division I teams, and set an NC State record. He batted .336 on the season and tied the ACC record for steals in one game with five. He was named to the All-Tournament Team in the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament.
In 2013, Turner had a .378 batting average with seven home runs, 41 RBIs, and 27 stolen bases. He was named to the All-ACC first team, and was named a second team All-American by Perfect Game and a third team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Baseball America. He was named a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, given to the best shortstop in NCAA's Division I. That summer, Turner played for the United States national collegiate baseball team. As a junior in 2014, he hit .321 with eight home runs and 26 stolen bases. After the season, he was named the winner of the Brooks Wallace Award.
Aaron Fitt of Baseball America considered Turner a likely first round choice in the 2014 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft. The San Diego Padres selected Turner in the first round, with the 13th overall selection. He signed on June 13, receiving a $2.9 million signing bonus. He made his professional debut three days later with the Eugene Emeralds of the Class A-Short Season Northwest League. After he batted .228 in 26 games for Eugene, the Padres promoted him to the Fort Wayne TinCaps of the Class A Midwest League, where he batted .369 in 46 games. The Padres assigned him to play for the Surprise Saguaros of the Arizona Fall League after the regular season.
On December 19, 2014, the Padres reportedly agreed to trade Turner to the Washington Nationals as a player to be named later as part of a three-team trade, in which the Padres traded Jake Bauers, Burch Smith, and René Rivera to the Tampa Bay Rays and Joe Ross to Washington, and Washington traded Steven Souza and Travis Ott to Tampa Bay. This unusual arrangement was a result of Turner being ineligible to be traded before mid-June because of MLB rules that prevent players to be traded within a year of their being drafted. Turner's agent, Jeff Berry, stated to the media that it was an unfair process to force him to play half the season for a team that traded him and had no further interest in promoting his development. He claimed he would be filing a grievance through the players union.
- Strelow, Bret (June 15, 2013). "N.C. State's Trea Turner combines power with speed". Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "NC State Wolfpack freshman Trea Turner still sneaking up on opposition – NCAA baseball tournament". ESPN.com. ESPN. May 31, 2012. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Baseball: Park Vista grad Trea Turner sets N.C State record | High School Buzz". Palm Beach Post. April 12, 2012. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Woodward, Bill (April 23, 2012). "RALEIGH: N.C. State's Trea Turner more than a base-stealing phenom | NC State". The News & Observer. Raleigh, North Carolina. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "NC State's Trea Turner Named Brooks Wallace Award Finalist". WFMY-TV. June 16, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Rupard, Wade (July 24, 2013). "DURHAM: Team USA experience a 'grind' for NC State's Turner | NC State". The News & Observer. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "N.C. State's Trea Turner Wins Brooks Wallace Award". WFMY-TV. June 28, 2014. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Shortstop Turner goes to Padres at No. 13". MLB.com. June 6, 2014. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Kring-Schreifels, Jake (June 13, 2014). "First-rounder Turner signs with Padres". MLB.com. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Sanders, Jeff (June 17, 2014). "Minors: Trea Turner debuts for Eugene". U-T San Diego. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Sanders, Jeff (September 19, 2014). "Trea Turner visits Petco Park: Padres' first-rounder just beginning busy offseason". U-T San Diego. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Cahill, Teddy (October 21, 2014). "Turner leads group of Padres prospects in AFL". MLB.com. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Cwick, Chris (December 19, 2014). "Padres, Rays and Nationals complete Wil Myers trade". CBS Sports. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Rosenthal, Ken (December 19, 2014). "Free Trea Turner: Age-old rule requires Nats' PTBN to stay with Padres till June". Fox Sports. Retrieved December 19, 2014.