|NC State Wolfpack|
June 30, 1993 |
Lake Worth, Florida
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Turner attended Park Vista Community High School in Lake Worth, Florida, where he played for his school's baseball team for all four years. Turner was lightly recruited by college programs, only receiving scholarship offers from North Carolina State University (NC State) and Florida Atlantic University. The Pittsburgh Pirates selected Turner in the 20th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft, but Turner opted to attend NC State, to play college baseball for the NC State Wolfpack baseball team in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I.
As a freshman in 2012, Turner recorded 57 stolen bases, which was more than the team totals of 158 Division I teams, and set an NC State record. He batted .336 on the season and tied the ACC record for steals in one game with five. He was named to the All-Tournament Team in the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament.
In 2013, Turner had a .378 batting average with seven home runs, 41 RBIs, and 27 stolen bases. He was named to the All-ACC first team, and was named a second team All-American by Perfect Game and a third team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Baseball America. He was named a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, given to the best shortstop in NCAA's Division I. That summer, Turner played for the United States national collegiate baseball team. Aaron Fitt of Baseball America considers Turner a likely first round choice in the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft.
- "N.C. State's Trea Turner combines power with speed". Fayobserver.com. June 15, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "NC State Wolfpack freshman Trea Turner still sneaking up on opposition – NCAA baseball tournament – ESPN". Espn.go.com. May 31, 2012. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Baseball: Park Vista grad Trea Turner sets N.C State record | High School Buzz". Blogs.palmbeachpost.com. April 12, 2012. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Woodward, Bill. "RALEIGH: N.C. States Trea Turner more than a base-stealing phenom | NC State". NewsObserver.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "NC State's Trea Turner Named Brooks Wallace Award Finalist". digtriad.com. June 16, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Rupard, Wade (July 24, 2013). "DURHAM: Team USA experience a grind for NC States Turner | NC State". NewsObserver.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.