Treasure Beach, Jamaica
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
The region is isolated from the main tourist areas and the minor roads connecting with the main highway at Black River or Santa Cruz tend to suffer damage in heavy rain, but are usually passable with care. There are a few small hotels and guest houses serving tourists seeking a very quiet seaside location.
Fort Charles Bay
Fort Charles Bay is the first Beach you get to from Black River. The beach is 11 miles long and a great swimming beach.
Button Bay Beach Getaway is 1 mile from Fort Charles Bay. A great Bed and Breakfast property.
Billy's Bay is 2 miles east of Fort Charles Bay and is the second fishing beach and settlement reached when approaching Treasure Beach from Black River.
There are a number of small, bustling restaurants.
Calabash Bay is the first of the Treasure Beach settlements and beaches reached when approaching from Santa Cruz.
Its 600m long beach has a narrow strip of black and yellow-red sand. The swimming is good but since the beach is open to the south, small breakers sometimes appear when strong seas are running. The presence of tourists attracts a few hawkers to the beach to sell their wares.
There are a few simple restaurants in the village.
One of the largest buildings is the former Old Wharf Hotel. It housed a residential treatment facility named Tranquility Bay, which closed in January 2009. It is now used as a training facility of the Jamaica Constabulary Force.
Great Pedro Bay
Treasure Beach general
- [http://wikimapia.org/#lat=17.8760006&lon=-77.7571964&z=14&l=0&m=b&v=8 Aerial view.
- Treasure Beach Community Web Site
- Treasure Tours
- 360 VIRTUAL TOUR IN HD
- Travel Articles around the world on Treasure BeachAccommodationTreasure Beach scene
Great Pedro Bay
- "Wikimapia". Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Berkmoes, Ryan Ver (2008-10-01). Caribbean Islands (5th Revised edition ed.). Lonely Planet. ISBN 978-1-74059-575-9.
- UK Directorate of Overseas Surveys 1:50,000 map of Jamaica sheet E, 1958.
- Harris, Patricia (September 2003). "Jamaica's Other Side". Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- Home Page. Tranquility Bay. August 13, 2003. Retrieved on October 2, 2010. "Tranquility Bay, Calabash Bay P.A., St. Elizabeth, Jamaica 876-965-0003."