|Traded as||TYO: 4704|
|Founder||陳怡樺 (Eva Chen)
張明正 (Steve Chang)
1 No. 2 - chome, Shibuya-ku Yoyogi
|Eva Chen (CEO)
Mahendra Negi (CFO)
Wael Mohamed (COO)
Steve Chang (Chairman)
|Products||Trend Micro Internet Security (aka PC-cillin and VirusBuster), Deep Security, Deep Discovery, OfficeScan, Smart Surfing for Mac, Titanium Internet Security for Netbooks, Worry-Free Business Security, Hosted Email Security, Worry-Free Business Services, InterScan Web Security, InterScan Web Security as a Service, InterScan Messaging Security, Data Loss Prevention, Core Protection for Virtual Machines, Enterprise Security Suite, HouseCall, Web Protection Add-on, Smart Surfing for the iPhone, HijackThis|
|Revenue||¥ 115,205 million (2014)|
|¥ 33,652 million (2014)|
|¥ 22,303 million (2014)|
Number of employees
Trend Micro Inc. (TYO: 4704) (Japanese: トレンドマイクロ株式会社 Torendo Maikuro Kabushiki-Gaisha; Chinese: 趨勢科技) is a global security software company founded in California, USA. It is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan and markets Trend Micro Internet Security, Trend Micro Deep Security, Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security, OfficeScan, and other related security products and services. Eva Chen has been CEO for the company since 2005 succeeding Steve Chang, who is now Chairman. In September 2014, Trend Micro announced a three-year agreement with INTERPOL to help support the international police organization and its 190 member countries with additional knowledge, resources and tactics to decrease cybercrime on a global scale.
Trend Micro competes in the threat and breach detection industry against FireEye, Sourcefire and Palo Alto. TrendLabs Trend Micro creates cloud security solutions for customers of VMware, AWS, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Office 365. In the antivirus industry Trend Micro competes against Avira, F-Secure, Kaspersky, McAfee, Panda Security, Sophos and Symantec among others.
The company was founded in 1988 in Los Angeles by Steve Chang (張明正, Chang Ming-cheng), his wife, Jenny Chang, and her sister, Eva Chen (陳怡樺). Shortly after establishing the company, its founders moved headquarters to Taipei.
In 1992, Trend Micro took over a Japanese software firm to form Trend Micro Devices and established headquarters in Japan. It then made an agreement with CPU maker Intel under which it produced an anti-virus product for local area networks (LANs) for sale under Intel’s name. Intel paid royalties to Trend for sales of LANDesk Virus Protect in the United States and Europe, while Trend paid royalties to Intel for sales in Asia. In 1993, Novell began bundling the product with its network operating system. In 1996 the two companies agreed to a two-year continuation of the agreement in which Trend was allowed to globally market the ServerProtect product under its own brand alongside Intel's LANDesk brand.
The 2014-2015 range of products for consumers are Trend Micro Antivirus+ Security, Trend Micro Internet Security, Trend Micro Maximum Security, Trend Micro Premium Security, and Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac, as well as Trend Micro SafeSync and Password Manager.
There are also various versions for mobile devices, including Mobile Security & Antivirus for Android, Mobile Security & Antivirus for iOS, Smart Surfing for iPhone and SafeSync Mobile.
The company also offers a variety of free tools to diagnose and mitigate security issues:
- HouseCall is a free web-based utility which scans for and cleans computers of viruses, Trojans, spyware, and other malware. It performs additional security checks to identify and fix vulnerabilities to prevent reinfection. According to Trend Micro HouseCall is compatible with all browsers and the following operating systems: Windows XP (32-bit) Home or Professional; Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit) Ultimate, Business, Home Premium, or Home Basic; and Windows 7, RC (32-bit, 64-bit). The latest version of HouseCall (8.0) allows users to perform a Full Scan, Quick Scan, or Custom Scan. It is launched by a program downloaded from the Trend Web site, and does not require Java to be installed.
- Smart Surfing for the iPhone
- ThreatWatch App for iPhone
- Rootkit Buster
Small business products
Trend Micro offers Worry-Free Business Security Standard and Advanced as on-premise solutions, Worry-Free Business Security Services hosted solution and InterScan Messaging Hosted Security for small businesses.
The 2014 Trend Micro Enterprise products include OfficeScan, Deep Security, Deep Discovery, InterScan Web Security, InterScan Web Security as a Service, and InterScan Messaging Security. Trend Micro acquired the OSSEC project along with its acquisition of Third Brigade, and has promised to keep it open source and free.
In June 2008, Trend Micro introduced Trend Micro Smart Protection Network, a cloud-client content security infrastructure designed to protect customers from web threats, such as data-stealing malware. This combines in-the-cloud technologies with other client-based anti-virus technologies to reduce dependency on conventional pattern-file downloads on the endpoint. AVTest.org results from December 2009 testing showed Trend Micro Office Scan ahead of its competitors. Reported behavior indicates security risks for users of Trend Micro Internet Security who access internet-banking facilities.
The Smart Protection Network has received bad reviews from web-hosting companies. The BOTs used by Trend Micro have been reported[by whom?] to hammer websites over and over (including password-protected areas), with complete disregard to robots.txt directives. Many[quantify] web-hosting companies have blocked Trend Micro's web addresses.[dead link]
Mergers and acquisitions
- In May 2005: Trend Micro acquired InterMute Inc., a developer of anti-spyware products.
- In June 2005: Acquired Kelkea Inc; an IP filtering and reputation company.
- In February 2007: Acquired HijackThis, an antispyware program from Merijn
- On October 25, 2007: Acquired Provilla, Inc; a provider of data loss prevention solutions.
- On February 25, 2008: Acquired Identum Ltd; a provider of Identity-based Encryption (IBE)
- On April 29, 2009: Acquired Third Brigade; a provider of intrusion detection and prevention (IDS/IPS) systems.
- On June 10, 2010: Acquired humyo; an online storage and data synchronization company, based in Leeds, UK
- On November 29, 2010: Acquired Mobile Armor; an innovative encryption specialist based in St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- On June 16, 2012: Acquired AffirmTrust; a provider of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates needed for secure web-based transactions
- On September 17, 2012: Acquired IndusGuard, a web application vulnerability scanner from IndusFace
- On October 10, 2013: Acquired Broadweb; a Taiwan-based provider of advanced network security solutions
In 2008, Trend Micro sued Barracuda Networks for the latter's distribution of ClamAV as part of a security package. Trend Micro claimed that Barracuda's use of ClamAV infringes on the software patent for filtering viruses on an Internet gateway. The free software community had responded in part by calling for a boycott of Trend Micro. The boycott was backed by the Free Software Foundation.
- "2014 Financial Data". Trend Micro. 2015-02-19.
- "Breach Detection System". www.nsslabs.com. NSS Labs.
- "Trend Micro Deep Security on AWS Marketplace". aws.amazon.com.
- How Can We Improve Code Signing?. Eweek.com (2008-05-09). Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- "Company Overview - Trend Micro USA". Us.trendmicro.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Wiener, Sally. (2010-01-28) HouseCall (32-bit version). PCWorld. Retrieved on 2013-07-26.
- "Trend Micro to Acquire Third Brigade".[dead link]
- Stefanie Hoffman. "Trend Micro Releases New 'Smart Protection Network'".[dead link]
- "Competitive Benchmark Tests – AV-Test.org - Trend Micro USA". Us.trendmicro.com. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "Project Honeypot". Project Honeypot. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- "Stop spamming our sites!!!!!!".
- "Project Honey Pot".
Trend Micro Brute Force Bot
- "Trend Micro press release announcing Intermute acquisition".[dead link]
- Trend Micro press release announcing Kelkea acquisition[dead link]
- Everett, Cath (2005-06-15) Trend Micro tackles spam with Kelkea buy[dead link] ZDNet
- Trend Micro acquires HijackThis antispyware tool CNET
- Trend Micro to Snap Up Provilla for DLP eWeek
- "Trend Micro press release announcing acquisition of Identum".
- "Crypto vendor Identum bought by Trend Micro".
- "Trend Micro Accelerates Dynamic Datacenter Security Strategy with Acquisition of Third Brigade".
- Trend Micro to Buy Cloud Storage Provider Humyo CNET
- Mobile Armor to be acquired by Trend Micro for expanded data protection[dead link] Trend Micro Inc.
- AffirmTrust acquired by billion-dollar Japanese company
- Trend Micro Launches New Web App Security Offering
- Trend Micro Acquires Broadweb to Enhance Network Protection Against Targeted Attacks and Advanced Threats
- "Trend Micro patent claim provokes FOSS community, leads to boycott". Linux.com. 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- US patent #5,623,600
- "Boycott Trend Micro". Free Software Foundation. 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- Official website
- TrendWatch Threat Resource Center
- Malware Blog
- Trend Cloud Security Blog
- Threat Encyclopedia
- Trend Micro Smart Protection Network