||This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (October 2013)|
|Stanford Cardinal — No. 93|
|Date of birth:December 22, 1990|
|Place of birth: Scottsdale, Arizona|
|Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||Weight: 261 lb (118 kg)|
|High school: Phoenix (AZ) Brophy|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at ESPN.com|
Murphy was the 2013 national college football sack leader with 15 sacks, Murphy was also the 2013 highest career sack leader with 32.5 sacks.
2014 NFL Combine results
|Height||Weight||Hand span||Arm length||40 yard dash||10 yard split||20 yard shuttle||3 cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench 225 lbs|
|6 ft 5⅜in||250 lbs||11 1/8 in||33 7/8 in||4.72 sec||1.63 sec||2.2 sec||6.78 sec||35.5 in||118 in||19 reps|
High school career
Trent Murphy graduated in 2009 from Brophy College Preparatory and played football for head coach Scooter Molander. In Murphy’s junior season (2007–08) he helped back Brophy Prep to an Arizona 5A1 Division championship. As a senior in 2008-09 he served as team captain, leading Brophy to a runner-up 5A1 Division finish. Murphy also lettered in basketball and track and was the 2009 Arizona State Discus Champion.
Freshman / Sophomore years 2009 / 2010
Murphy did not see field action in his freshman year (2009) and was sidelined due to injuries two games into his sophomore year (2010). During the two games he played in his sophomore year, Murphy logged two solo tackles against Sacramento State.
Junior year 2011
In 2011, Murphy bounced back from his 2010 injury to record stellar numbers, logging 40 tackles, 6.5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. In his first game against San Jose State, Murphy recorded 5 tackles. Murphy registered a career high with 10 tackles, 9 solo, including 2 tackles for loss of yards against the Oregon Ducks. In the Jan 2, 2012 Fiesta Bowl against  13th-ranked Oklahoma State, Murphy sacked Brandon Weeden for a 9 yard loss. In sum over the 2011 season Murphy logged 6.5 sacks for -43 yards, 10 tackles for loss for -50 yards, 25 solo tackles and 15 assists.
Senior year 2012
Murphy started all 14 games of the 2012 season for Stanford's Pac-12 championship season. He led the Cardinal defense with 10 sacks and 18 tackles for loss, the best defensive records for Stanford since 2000 and 2004 respectively. Murphy’s season included 6 QB hurries, 4 passes broken up and 1 forced fumble. Murphy recorded his first career interception of a pass made by Keith Price, resulting in a 40 yard return for a touchdown. Murphy registered another career high game against number 1 ranked Notre Dame, with 10 tackles 1.5 sacks including 2.5 tackles for loss of yards. The Stanford defense was the 2012 NCAA Division I-A Sack Leader, with Murphy topping the list. Murphy was named to the All-Pac-12, 2012 1st team, CBS All America Team 3rd  2012 Associated Press All-American 3rd Team 3rd, and the 2012 Sports Illustrated All-American Team. He was a Butkus Award semi-finalist  and won the Stanford-player voted Jack Huston Award recipient for exceptional performance and unheralded effort 
|Trent Murphy 2012 Season||Sacks||Sack Yards||Solo Tackles||Tackles for Loss*||QB Hurry|
|San Jose State||0.0||0.0||3.0||1.0||0.0|
|at Notre Dame||1.5||11.0||5.0||2.5||3.0|
|at Oregon (Ducks)||2.0||8.0||4.0||2.0||0.0|
|at UCLA Pac-12 Championship||0.5||3.0||2.0||1.5||0.0|
|vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl||0.0||0.0||1.0||0.0||0.0|
− Source: cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy, *TFL 87 yards total, **Pick Six, 40 yard return
5th year Senior 2013
Murphy chose to return to Stanford for a fifth-year senior season, despite his option to enter the 2013 NFL Draft. At the end of the 2013 season Murphy ranked first for sacks in the Pac-12 and also first for total number of sacks in the NCAA by a margin of 1.5 sacks and 15 yards lost over the second ranked defender, Marcus Smith, with a total of 15 sacks, 119 yards lost an average of 1.07 per game. In the category of tackles for loss, Murphy ranked second overall with 23.5 (83 yards total, 1.68 avg per game). Murphy was named PAC-12 Defensive Player of the week in weeks 6 (Oct. 7) and 9 (Oct. 28). On November 1, 2013 Murphy was named the Chuck Bednarik Player of the week, shortly after moving to the semi-finalist round of voting for the Bednarik Award. On November 8, 2013 Murphy moved to the semi-finalist round for the Lombardi Award given to the nation's best O/D lineman or linebacker. For the second year, Murphy was named to the All Pac-12 First team, along with 5 Stanford Cardinal team mates. On Dec. 7 the Stanford Cardinal defeated ASU to earn the Pac-12 Championship title for the second year in a row and earned the honor of playing in the 2014 Rose Bowl game, as they did in 2012. Also for the second year running, Murphy received Stanford's Jack Huston Award, voted by his peers as the player exemplifying aggressiveness, exceptional performance and unheralded efforts. Additionally, at the Dec. 8, 2013 football awards ceremony, Murphy received the Frank Rehm memorial award for outstanding lineman in the Big Game.(reference for 2 Stanford awards pending publication) Murphy was named to the 2013 Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American first team, in its 124th year. In addition to the Walter Camp Foundation honor, Murphy was voted to All-American teams by the Football Writer's Association of America, American Football Coaches Association and Sporting News. These honors resulted in Murphy being named to the 2013 College Football Consensus All-American Team. Murphy logged 4 tackles playing defensive end in the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama on January 25, 2014. During the practices leading up to the game was tested at both defensive end and outside linebacker positions. He participated in the NFL Combine February 22–25, 2014 in Indianapolis.
2013 season statistics
|Trent Murphy 2013 Season||Sacks||Sack Yards||Solo Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Tackles for Loss (TFL)||TFL yards||QB hurry|
|San Jose State||2.0||24.0||2.0||0||2.0||24.0||1.0|
|PAC-12 champ vs ASU||1.0||8.0||7.0||0||2.0||11.0||0|
|2014 Rose Bowl vs Michigan State||1.0||8.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||10.0||0|
Source: cfbstats.com/2013, * TFL yards as of 11/02/2013, ** Pick Six, 30 yard return.
2013 Season Awards, Honors and Commendations
- Pre-season All-American second teams: SI.com Phil Steele Athlon Sports
- Pre-season All-PAC-12: Phil Steele Athlon Sports Lindy's All Pac-12
- Team Captain
- Award watch list and semifinalist: Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Award, Butkus Award, Rotary Lombardi Award 
- Stanford's co-Defensive Player of the Game: vs San Jose State, vs Washington State, vs Oregon State 
- PAC-12 Defensive Player of the Week, October 7 and again October 28 
- Stanford's Jack Huston Award for exceptional performance and unheralded efforts, second year running.
- Stanford's Frank Rehm Memorial Award presented to the Outstanding Lineman in the Big Game.
- Post-season All Pac-12 teams: ESPN.com Athlon Sports Second Team Sporting News
- Post-season All American Second teams; Associated Press CBSSports.com  USA Today Athlon Sports 
- Post-season All American First teams: Walter Camp Football Foundation American Football Coaches Association Football Writers Association of America  Sporting News SI.com, ESPN.com
- Based on the votes for All-American honors, "Murphy is Stanford's first consensus defensive player since 1974" 
- Reeses Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama 
- "NFL Scout Profile". nfldraftscout.com.
- "2014 NFL Draft Prospects". cbssports.com.
- http://news.rapgenius.com/Nfl-combine-linebackers-annotated#note-2835067, accessed Feb 25, 2014
- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trent-murphy?id=2543503, accessed Feb. 25, 2014
- http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft, accessed March 25, 2014
- "Post Season Team Selections (beginning 2007)". brophyfootball.org.
- http://www.maxpreps.com/state/football/arizona.html, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- "All-Arizona Track and Field Teams". azcentral.com. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/sack/gamelog.html,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/792600-oregon-ducks-ranked-third-in-usa-today-poll-too-much-pressure, accessed Nov. 4, 2013
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/sack/gamelog.html, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Fiesta_Bowl, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-at-no.-13-in-preseason-ap-poll-sooners-no.-16/article/3873149, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn%3A7417582 Brandon Weeden sacked by Trent Murphy, ESPN, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2011/player/674/1026169/sack/gamelog.html, accessed Dec 12, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8433915, accessed Nov. 4 2013, ESPN, accessed Aug. 2, 2013.
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21534509/notre-dame-still-1-in-one-bcs-computer-ranking, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy,http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/sack/gamelog.html,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks 2012 NCAA Division I-A Sack Leaders, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacksaccessed Aug. 2, 2013
- GoStanford, http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/50177/pac-12-2012-awards-announced, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21361908/ap-releases-2012-all-america-teams 2012
- http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-12-11/all-american-ap-johnny-manziel-alabama-marqise-lee-jadeveon-clowney-montee-ball, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21361908/ap-releases-2012-all-america-teams, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20121211/postseason-all-america-team/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208078810, accessed Aug 2, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/index.html cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://goldengatesports.com/2013/07/27/stanford-cardinal-football-how-much-depth-do-they-have-on-defense,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/_/id/9/pac-12-conference,accessed Nov. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks, accessed Nov. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks, accessed Dec. 8, 2013
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/player/split01/category21/sort01.html, accessed Jan. 23, 2014
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/64430/pac-12-names-players-of-the-week-6, accessed Nov. 2, 2013
- "Pac-12's Maxwell, Bednarik semifinalists". espn.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Lombardi Award semifinalists announced". collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/02/pac-12-football-awards-and-all-conference-teams-announced-0, accessed December 5, 2013
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/07/football-championship-game-final-stanford-rolls-past-asu-earn-rose-bowl-bid, accessed Dec. 8, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=209340255, accessed Dec. 12 2013
- http://www.collegefootballuniverseblog.com/1/post/2013/12/2013-college-football-consensus-all-america-team-winston-not-unanimous.html, accessed Jan. 2, 2014
- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000315979/article/stanford-lb-trent-murphy-happy-to-play-on-line, accessed Jan. 23, 2014
- http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trent-murphy?id=2543503, accessed Feb. 25, 2014
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/674/1026169/index.html, accessed Nov. 30, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130808/preseason-all-america-team/, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.philsteele.com/blogs/2013/JUN13/DBJune05.html, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- "College Football 2013 All-America Team". athlonsports.com. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "2013 Preseason All-Pac-12 Team". philsteele.com.
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208167737&DB_OEM_ID=30600, Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208167737&DB_OEM_ID=30600, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/11/11/pac-12-announces-football-players-week, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/66932/espn-coms-all-pac-12-team, accessed Dec. 19 2013
- http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-2013-postseason-all-america-team, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/usc/post/_/id/14634/postseason-honors-in-pac-12, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/ap-all-america-team-list, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24378905/ap-allamerica-team-winston-carey-mosley-lead-first-team, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.waltercamp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2013-Walter-Camp-All-America-Team.pdf?23e1d7, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=AllAmericaTeams, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/awards/allamerica/, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131217/college-football-all-america-team/ accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/ncf/feature/video/_/page/postseasonallamerica2013/2012-all-america-team, accessed Dec. 19 2013
- "It's Unanimous". gostanford.com. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Report: Stanford’s Trent Murphy Accepts Senior Bowl Invite". goldengatesports.com. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trent Murphy.|