|Joint venture between Thomas Rothman and Sony Pictures Entertainment|
|Founded||August 9, 2013|
|Headquarters||Sony Studio lot, Culver City, California, USA|
|Thomas Rothman (Chair)
Lindsay Sloane (SVP, TV)
David Beaubaire (EVP, film)
Nicole Brown(SVP, film)
Sony Pictures Entertainment
The new company shares its name with the current TriStar Pictures distribution label of Sony Pictures under which TriStar Productions' four films per year will be released joining the other titles released from TriStar Pictures. The television programming however, will be produced for Sony Pictures Television. The TriStar name was selected as Rothman considers himself a film buff, its historical name, and the good will with the Hollywood creative types to give the unit an edge.
It was jointly announced on August 1, 2013 by Rothman, Michael Lynton, the CEO of Sony Entertainment and co-chairman and CEO of SPE, and Amy Pascal, co-chairwoman of SPE. The venture was launched on September 1 and Rothman would hold an equity share in the venture with the ability to bring in other outside investments. TSP first deal was for To Walk the Clouds autobiography, which is about Philippe Petit, a French high wire walker who walker in 1974 between the Twin Towers.
- Announced deals
- Ricki and the Flash (June 26, 2015) financing & distribution, stars Meryl Streep
- The Walk (October 2, 2015) production partner Robert Zemeckis & ImageMovers
- The Lady in the Van (late 2015) with BBC Films adapted from Alan Bennett‘s memoir & play starring Maggie Smith
- The Yank with Mosaic and Gary Sanchez Productions starring Will Ferrell
- Ben Fountain’s novel “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” movie adaptation, produced with Film4 and Ink Factory with Ang Lee directing and producting
- Faughnder, Ryan (August 1, 2013). "Tom Rothman teams with Sony Pictures to create TriStar Productions". Los Angeles Times.
- Abrams, Rachel (August 1, 2013). "Tom Rothman in Joint Venture With Sony to Run TriStar Productions". Variety. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- Nellie Andreeva. (October 23, 2013) Tom Rothman & Sony’s TriStar Prods. Makes TV & Film Executive Hires. Deadline Hollywood. Accessed on October 28, 2013.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (August 1, 2013). "Tom Rothman To Launch New TriStar Productions Label For Sony". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- CIEPLY, MICHAEL (August 1, 2013). "Sony Hires Rothman to Head Revived TriStar Unit". New York Times. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "Tom Rothman’s TriStar Unveils First Pic Dates: ‘Ricki And The Flash’ & Robert Zemeckis’ Philippe Petit Movie". Deadline Hollywood (Penske Business Media). May 6, 2014. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- Yamato, Jen (June 3, 2014). "TriStar Boards UK Adaptation ‘The Lady In The Van’ From ‘Madness Of King George’ Duo; Maggie Smith To Reprise Iconic Role". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (September 18, 2014). "Ang Lee to Direct ‘Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk’ at TriStar". Variety. Retrieved October 30, 2014.
|This article about a film production company or film distributor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a media company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|