TriWest Healthcare Alliance
|Founded||Phoenix, Arizona (1996)|
|Headquarters||Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.|
|Area served||21-state TRICARE West Region|
|Key people||David J. McIntyre, Jr., President and CEO
Dr. Kenneth L. Farmer, Jr., Exec. VP & COO
Lawrence Haggerty, Exec. VP and CFO
TriWest Healthcare Alliance is a Phoenix, Arizona based corporation that manages health benefits under the United States Department of Defense (DoD) TRICARE program in the 21-state TRICARE West Region.
In 1996, TriWest Healthcare Alliance was established in order to compete for a U.S. Government contract to manage civilian health care benefits under the newly established TRICARE program within the 16-state TRICARE Central Region, also known as Regions 7 and 8. In 1996 TriWest was awarded the contract for the TRICARE Central Region and began operations. The TRICARE Central Region included the following states: Arizona; Colorado; southern Idaho; Iowa; Kansas; Minnesota; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Mexico; North Dakota; South Dakota; El Paso, Texas; Utah; and Wyoming. TriWest was awarded an extension to this contract, which continued until 2004.
On August 21, 2003, TriWest was awarded the TRICARE Managed Care Support Contract for the TRICARE West Region. The five-year contract, valued at approximately $10 billion, expanded TriWest's service area to 21 states and 2.7 million beneficiaries with the addition of Alaska, California, Hawaii, northern Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.
On July 13, 2009, TriWest was awarded the contract (also known as the "T-3 contract") to continue providing military families access to health care and manage the 21-state TRICARE West Region for the Department of Defense (DoD).
On March 26, 2012 it was announced that TriWest will protest the Department of Defense award of the contract to UnitedHealth. David McIntyre (President and CEO of the TriWest Healthcare Alliance) cited the long history of performance and legal problems with the subsidiary which would handle the T-3 contract.
On July 2, 2012 it was announced that TriWest lost its appeal to keep the West Region contract. 
- "About TriWest: Our Story". Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- "TriWest Healthcare Alliance Awarded $10 Billion Contract to Assist Department of Defense in Meeting Health Care Needs for 21 State TRICARE West Region" (Press release). TriWest Healthcare Alliance. 2003-08-21. Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- "TriWest Healthcare Alliance Awarded Third TRICARE Contract, Remains Health Care Contractor for Department of Defense in 21-State TRICARE West Region" (Press release). TriWest Healthcare Alliance. 2009-07-13. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Important Message for TriWest Beneficiaries and Providers" (Press release). TriWest Healthcare Alliance. 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "TriWest Healthcare Alliance to Protest TRICARE Contract Award" (Press release). MarketWatch. 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "TriWest loses appeal to keep military health contract" (Press release). USA Today. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-09-20.