|Industry||Investment banking Placement agent, Fundraising, Secondary market|
|Headquarters||New York, Paris, Dubai|
|Employees||28 (October 2013)|
Triago is a leading global placement agent, specializing in raising capital for private equity investment firms from a range of institutional investors. It is one of a number of placement agents that also has significant private equity secondary market operations, acting as a sell side intermediary in secondary transactions. Triago also provides strategic advisory for private equity investors and fund managers.
Founded in 1992 by Antoine Dréan, Triago was among the first independent placement agents established in Europe to focus on private equity fundraising and is among the oldest agents in the private equity industry.
Triago initially focused on bringing outside capital from North America, the Middle East and Asia to European private equity managers at a time when many European private equity teams were captive to banks and insurance companies, and when there was little institutional capital available for investment in private equity in Europe. As the U.S. private equity industry matured in the late 1990s and the growth of domestic funds available for investment in private equity slowed, Triago expanded its business by matching European funds available for alternative investments, with U.S. private equity teams.
The firm has raised capital for over 140 private equity funds for such clients as Bridgepoint, Wilbur Ross's WL Ross & Co. and Kelso Place Asset Management. The firm's dedicated private equity secondary market advisory team has transferred more than 1,100 positions, making it one of the industry's largest intermediaries. Triago is also a widely referenced source of benchmark data, analysis and commentary on private equity trends and developments.
- Dow Jones Private Equity Analyst, Special Section "Sources of Capital," page 23 "Placement Agent Ranking" Total Raised From New LPs - 5th,
- "Time Out" The Deal, by Paul Whitfield March 18, 2010,
- Company website
- The Wharton Global Alumni Forum "Dréan biography" March, 2009
- "The Revolution Within" Banker Middle East, January 5, 2010
- "Placement Agency Triago has Witnessed Huge Changes in Private Equity" Acquisitions Monthly, February 1, 2008
- "Kelso (Place) Closes Institutional Fund on £100 million", Real Deals
- "Agents of Change" May 5, 2010, see "Firms in Focus" "Triago", Real Deals
- "Shopping used private equity" Fortune magazine, August 9, 2010
- "Private Equity Secondaries" Financial Times, May 26, 2011
- "K.K.R. and Apollo to Manage $6 billion for Texas Pension Fund" New York Times, November 7, 2011
- "G4S U-Turn a Symptom of M&A unwillingness" Financial Times, November 5, 2011
- "Investors to Buyout Funds - Keep the Cash" Wall Street Journal, Heard on the Street, March 28, 2011
- "Private Equity Investors Shrug Off Allocation Snag" Financial News, November 7, 2011
- "Boom-Time Dry-Powder Stretches Holding Periods" RealDeals, November 7, 2011
- "One Careful Owner? What the secondary market says about the state of private equity" The Economist, December 10, 2011
- "Wharton Video: Guest Lecture Series - Triago History and Business Lines" March 22, 2010
- "Triago CEO: PE Shakeout "Will be Huge"" by Luisa Beltran, PE Hub July 20, 2010
- "Triago: Secondaries Deal Volume to Spike this Year" by Christopher Witkowsky, Private Equity Online March 30, 2010
- "Triago to Help Raise $500 Million Fund" by Arif Sharif, Bloomberg, March 21, 2010