Triberg im Schwarzwald
|Triberg im Schwarzwald|
|• Mayor||Dr Gallus Strobel|
|• Total||33.32 km2 (12.86 sq mi)|
|• Density||140/km2 (370/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Triberg im Schwarzwald is a town in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, located in the Schwarzwald-Baar district in the Black Forest. In 2004, it had a population of 5,377. Triberg lies in the middle of the Black Forest between 500 and 1038 metres above sea level.
The Triberg Waterfalls, a series of waterfalls in the Gutach River, are among the tallest in Germany. With a total vertical drop of 151m (496 feet), the falls are shorter than the tallest waterfall in Germany, the Röthbachfall. However, the Triberg Falls are better known and have easier public access.
Elektrizitäts-Gesellschaft Triberg, a regional utility, was founded 1896 by Friedrich Wilhelm Schoen, Wilhelm Eduard von Schoen and the famous industrialist and inventor Carl von Linde. It is still active today and partially owned by local municipalities. Watchmaking was once a thriving local industry, but no longer plays a central role in the economy. A private hospital, Asklepios Klinik, is the town's major employer. The number of inhabitants decreased from 8,000 to 5,000.[when?]
Other points of interest are:
- the Black Forest museum (Schwarzwaldmuseum)
- the pilgrimage church Maria in der tanne (Mary in the Fir), a baroque church dating from the 18th Century
- the handcarved council chamber
- the world's biggest Cuckoo clock
- the 40 tunnels of the Schwarzwaldbahn (Baden) (Black Forest Railway) around Triberg.
- two Men's parking spaces, a global first introduced in 2012
The world's largest cuckoo clock located in Triberg
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012 (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011)". Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 12 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Triberg im Schwarzwald.|
- (German) Triberg: informations and pictures
- Triberg Tourism Information and Pictures
|This Schwarzwald-Baar location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|