He appears in Book 3 of François Rabelais's Pantagrueline chronicles. He appears in Victor Hugo's Le Roi s'amuse and its opera version, Giuseppe Verdi's Rigoletto: "Rigoletto" was a blend of "Triboulet" and French rigoler (to laugh), intending to deflect the censorship that Hugo's work had received. A triboulet, a jester dressed entirely in red, is a character associated with the carnival of Monthey in Switzerland.
Attributed famous quotes
- Triboulet once came to the Monarch with a complaint.
- Triboulet: "A noble has threatened to hang me!"
- The Monarch: "Don't worry! If he hangs you I'll have him beheaded fifteen minutes later."
- Triboulet: "Well, would it be possible to behead him 15 minutes before?"
- Once, Triboulet could not contain himself and slapped the monarch on the bum. The monarch lost his temper and threatened to execute Triboulet. A little later, the monarch calmed down a little and promised to forgive Triboulet if he could think of an apology more insulting than the offending deed.
- A few seconds later, Triboulet responded: "I'm so sorry, your majesty, that I didn't recognize you! I mistook you for the Queen!"
Media related to Triboulet at Wikimedia Commons
- (French) Biographie
|This French biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|