||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2010)|
(Statius Muller, 1776)
|Range of E. tricolor Breeding range Year-round range Wintering range|
The tricolored heron (Egretta tricolor), formerly known in North America as the Louisiana heron, is a small heron. It is a resident breeder from the Gulf states of the USA and northern Mexico south through Central America and the Caribbean to central Brazil and Peru. There is some post-breeding dispersal to well north of the nesting range.
Tricolored heron's breeding habitat is sub-tropical swamps. It nests in colonies, often with other herons, usually on platforms of sticks in trees or shrubs. In each clutch, 3–7 eggs are typically laid.
This species measures from 56 to 76 cm (22 to 30 in) long and has a wingspan of 96 cm (38 in). The slightly larger male heron weighs 415 g (14.6 oz) on average, while the female averages 334 g (11.8 oz). It is a medium-large, long-legged, long-necked heron with a long pointed yellowish or greyish bill with a black tip. The legs and feet are dark.
Adults have a blue-grey head, neck, back and upperwings, with a white line along the neck. The belly is white. In breeding plumage, they have long blue filamentous plumes on the head and neck, and buff ones on the back.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Egretta tricolor". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Tricolored Heron". All About Birds. Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
- "Biological and Ecotoxicological Characteristics of Terrestrial Vertebrate Species Residing in Estuaries: Tricolored Heron". USGS.
- Hilty, Steven L. (2003). Birds of Venezuela. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-7136-6418-5.
- Field Guide to the Birds of North America. National Geographic. ISBN 0-7922-6877-6.
- Stiles, F. Gary; Skutch, Alexander F. (1989). A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica. Comstock Publishing Associates. ISBN 0-8014-9600-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Egretta tricolor.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Egretta tricolor|
- Tricolored Heron - Egretta tricolor - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Tricolored heron photos at Field Guide: Birds of the World on Flickr
- Tricolored heron Bird Sound at Florida Museum of Natural History
- Tricolored heron videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Tricolored heron photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Tricolored Heron species account at NeotropicalBirds (Cornell University)