M.A. Smith, 1930
- Common names: Fan-Si-Pan horned pitviper.
Trimeresurus cornutus is a venomous pit viper species endemic to Vietnam. Previously, it had been known from only two specimens, but was recently rediscovered in the central part of the country. No subspecies are currently recognized.
Gumprecht et al. (2004) write that, previously, this species had been known from only two specimens, but was rediscovered in central Vietnam (Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park, Quảng Bình Province) in 2001 (Ziegler and Herrmann, 2002).
This species is classified as Data Deficient (DD) on the IUCN Red List (v2.3, 1994). This means that there is inadequate information to make a direct, or indirect, assessment of its risk of extinction based on its distribution and/or population status. A taxon in this category may be well studied, and its biology well known, but appropriate data on abundance and/or distribution is lacking. Data Deficient is therefore not a category of threat or Lower Risk. Listing of taxa in this category indicates that more information is required and acknowledges the possibility that future research will show that threatened classification is appropriate. It is important to make positive use of whatever data are available. In many cases great care should be exercised in choosing between DD and threatened status. If the range of a taxon is suspected to be relatively circumscribed, if a considerable period of time has elapsed since the last record of the taxon, threatened status may well be justified. Year assessed: 1996.
- List of crotaline species and subspecies
- Trimeresurus by common name
- Trimeresurus by taxonomic synonyms
- Crotalinae by common name
- Crotalinae by taxonomic synonyms
- McDiarmid RW, Campbell JA, Touré T. 1999. Snake Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, Volume 1. Herpetologists' League. 511 pp. ISBN 1-893777-00-6 (series). ISBN 1-893777-01-4 (volume).
- The Reptile Database. www.reptile-database.org.
- Gumprecht A, Tillack F, Orlov NL, Captain A, Ryabov S. 2004. Asian Pitvipers. GeitjeBooks. Berlin. 1st Edition. 368 pp. ISBN 3-937975-00-4.
- "Trimeresurus cornutus". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 3 August, 2007.
- Trimeresurus cornutus at the IUCN Red List. Accessed 2 September 2007.
- 1994 Categories & Criteria (version 2.3) at the IUCN Red List. Accessed 2 September 2007.
- Smith, M.A. 1930. Two new Snakes from Tonkin, Indo-China. Annals and Magazine of Natural History, Series 10, 6: 681-683.