|Trinity College, Dublin|
|Type||fortnightly student newspaper|
|Deputy editor||D. Joyce Ahearne|
|Headquarters||6 Trinity College
Dublin 2, Ireland
Trinity News is a student newspaper of Trinity College, and the oldest student newspaper in Ireland. It is an independent newspaper which reports on the news and views of the students and staff of Dublin University. The newspaper was first published in 1953; it is using this date as the first volume that the volume numbers are currently derived.
Over the years, Trinity News has appeared in many formats including broadsheet and tabloid; For 2012/'13 it is a broadsheet which publishes on a fortnightly basis during term time. The newspaper is produced exclusively by students of the University under the direction of a student Editor; due to the increased number of issues and workload, it has become common practice for the editor to take a sabbatical from studies for the year.
In addition to advertising revenue, Trinity News is funded in part by a grant from the Dublin University Publications Committee, but the newspaper claims full editorial independence. It is printed by NWN Media. The print run is 3,000 copies for each issue, which are distributed around Trinity College, various other city centre locations, Froebel College, Blackrock and Marino College. A small number of copies are also distributed by post to alumni and friends of the newspaper.
Notable past stories
In October 2005, a story published in Trinity News revealed that the American air force was funding a research program in Trinity College. This story caused controversy among students and was reported on in the national press. It was also raised during question time in the Dáil.
In recent times Trinity News has won many accolades in the Irish Student Media Awards including Newspaper of the Year, Editor of the Year and Journalist of the Year. It won "Student Newspaper of the Year" in Ireland in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Below are the awards currently held by Trinity News and staff:
- Newspaper of the Year 2013 - Trinity News
- Magazine of the Year 2013 - TN2
- Layout & Design of the Year 2013 - Dargan Crowley-Long
- Web Designer of the Year 2013 - trinitynews.ie - Andrew Murphy
- Publication of the Year 2013 - USI Awards 2013 - Trinity News
- Photographer of the Year 2013 - USI Awards 2013 - George Voronov
- Editor of the Year 2012 - Kate Palmer
- Layout & Design of the Year 2012 - Alex Towers
- Newspaper of the Year 2009 - Trinity News
- Magazine of the Year 2009 - Gearóid O'Rourke & Catriona Gray
- Layout and Design of the Year 2009 - Gearóid O'Rourke (Editor)
- Newspaper of the Year 2008 - Trinity News, Gearóid O'Rourke (Editor)
- Editor of the Year 2008 - Gearóid O'Rourke (Editor)
- Journalist of the Year 2008 - Gearóid O'Rourke (Editor)
- Sports Writer of the Year 2008 - Eoin Fleck ((Deputy Sports Editor))
- Best Social & Political Features Writer 2003 - Neasa Cunniffe (Features Editor / TN2 Editor)
- Ed Mulhall (Head of News and Current Affairs, RTÉ)
- Mark Little (Prime Time presenter, RTÉ)
- Robin Hanan, (Coordinator European Anti Poverty Network, (Ireland), 1999–2007; CEO Irish Refugee Council, 2007–2009, Seanad candidate 2011)
- Tadhg Peavoy (Multimedia journalist, RTÉ)
- "Societies and Other Institutions". University of Dublin Calendar - Part 1 (PDF). Dublin: Trinity College, Dublin. 2006. p. U12. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "Front Page". Trinity News official website. Trinity News. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Oxygen.ie - Ireland's Number 1 Student Website