|Headquarters||Los Angeles, United States|
|Industry||Travel, Cultural Exchange, networking|
Triptrotting is a global community of travelers and hosts (aka "Triptrotters"), who are matched to each other based on similar interests. Site users can meet up for social activities, cultural exchange, and accommodation while traveling. It is a Google Ventures portfolio company.
The site matches like-minded travelers and hosts to each other with an algorithm written by eHarmony’s former chief scientist, Galen Buckwalter. Triptrotters can also sign up for activities from walking tours to parties and weekend trips (some paid, some free of charge) in their own city or while traveling. The activities are based on users’ preferences and can be viewed by location, date, time and price.
- "To connect people with similar interests from different corners of the world, who otherwise would have never met each other. Through face-to-face interaction, people will learn to understand each other beyond cultural differences and boundaries. With the help of the Triptrotting community, we hope to make the world a better place through cultural exchange and understanding."
Triptrotting was founded in 2009 by Aigerim Shorman and Shana Zheng, both graduates from the University of Southern California. It is based in Los Angeles. Triptrotting has been funded a total of $1.8M to date, with contributions from Google Ventures, Idealab, LaunchpadLA, 500 Startups, Golden Seeds, WI Harper Group and individual angels.
- Garver, Abe. "Travel: The #1 Place To Go In 2012". Forbes.
- "Google Ventures Companies". Google.
- Perez, Sarah. "Triptrotting Revamps Its Website, Adds Social Activities And Curated Events For Travelers". Tech Crunch. Tech Crunch.
- "What Else? TripFab finally launches, Gogo swims, Triptrotting activities, Reevoo poll, MSC Facebook". Tnooz.
- "About Us". Triptrotting.
- Sweet, John. "Q&A with Aigerim Duiseneyeva, Triptrotting". Daily Trojan. University of Southern California.
- Carney, Michael. "Triptrotting Founders Raise $1.8M For 'eHarmony For Like-Minded Travelers And Locals'". Women 2.0.