|First appearance||Ultimates #2 (April, 2002)|
|Created by||Bryan Hitch|
|In story information|
|Type||Base of operations|
|Notable locations||Washington D.C.|
The Triskelion is a fictional building used by intelligence/defense agency S.H.I.E.L.D. in the Ultimate comic universe published by Marvel Comics. The Triskelion's architectural design was planned and layout by architect Frank Gehry. The Triskelion was originally designed by British architect Norman Foster and planned to have mobility like the Helicarrier, but never came to be due to monetary problems.
The Triskelion is the island headquarters of S.H.I.E.L.D. and formerly inhabited by the Ultimates. The Triskelion was partially, but significantly, destroyed by the Liberators when its super-soldiers pushed and scuttled S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier onto the facility, which the Scarlet Witch, who was present in Nick Fury's office, used her powers in saving only the first three floors of the building and everyone within them. While in the process of repair, the Triskelion later experienced a massive prison break caused by the Green Goblin.
During Ultimatum, the Triskelion was attacked by suicide-bomber duplicates of Multiple Man until Hank Pym sacrificed himself in stopping the clones. Shortly following the events of Ultimatum, the Triskelion was undergoing another stage of repairs and became the headquarters of the Ultimates' replacements, the Avengers.
During the Avengers' tenure, the Triskelion was attacked by vampires, in which the subsequent battle resulted with the entire facility being teleported to the middle of a desert in Iran. The presence of the Triskelion caused some vocal concerns from the Iranian government, in which S.H.I.E.L.D. temporarily relocated their headquarters to Stark Industries, and, with help from the European Defense Initiative, trying to find a way to return the Triskelion back to New York.
This Triskelion was finally left to the new pro-American, Iranian government after powered rebels had taken down the former rulers, as the way to threaten Russia, China, and the Arabic nations authorities. A new Triskelion was built in New York, and in other countries, such as one in Bangkok in SEAR.
In other media
Marvel Cinematic Universe
The Triskelion is mentioned by Jemma Simmons in the 2013 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode "The Hub" and in search files in the episode "T.A.H.I.T.I." It is also later referenced in "End of the Beginning" when Jasper Sitwell receives orders to board the Lemurian Star. It appears in the 2014 film Captain America: The Winter Soldier as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Washington D.C. headquarters. It is destroyed in that film by a disabled Helicarrier, an event later referenced by Victoria Hand in the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode "Turn, Turn, Turn".
- The Triskelion is featured in the animated films Ultimate Avengers and Ultimate Avengers 2. Like in the comics the building serves as the base of operations for the Avengers team. The Triskelion is later invaded by the Chitauri.
- The Triskelion is seen in Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors episode "New Warriors".
- In the video game Ultimate Spider-Man a number of posters depicting The Triskelion are seen announcing a movie called The Ultimates, some of which include reference to a sequel by the inclusion of the number 2.
- The Triskelion is featured in the video game Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.
- "S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets A Home In CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER". ComicBookMovie.com. June 25, 2013