|Products||Metasearch for hotel prices|
Spain: 333Italy: 171
trivago is a travel metasearch engine focusing on hotels. The site compares prices for over 730,700 hotels from more than 200 booking sites, such as Expedia, Booking.com, and Priceline.com. Based in Düsseldorf, Germany, the website receives about 45 million users per month on its 47 international platforms.
In 2007, the website launched platforms in Spain, France, and the United Kingdom. A year later, Poland and Sweden were added and the company received $1.14 million in Series B funding from the British company HOWZAT media LLP. In 2009, the first non-European platforms were made available in the U.S., China, Japan, Brazil, and Mexico.
Hotel price comparison
The site compares hotel prices as well as aspects of the hotel experience. Users can search by location as well as the dates and type of room. The user can then make the search more specific, using search parameters such as available amenities, sports facilities, or other features. The site shows all available offers that can be booked on linked external booking sites 
The information compared is based on a variety of sources, including partner websites, user-submitted reviews, and hoteliers themselves. Users who add their comments to the site receive a small cash bonus every two months. A portion of the company’s revenue is distributed among its community members.
trivago Hotel Price Index (tHPI)
The trivago Hotel Price Index (tHPI) is the company’s own hotel price index that is released publicly every month.
trivago Hotel Manager (tHM)
Trivago Hotel Manager is the platform that trivago offers especially for hoteliers. It offers tools that allow hotel owners to enhance their business' profile by adding descriptions and images, accessing customer reviews and comments and receiving expert tips on how to boost their overall business and number of bookings. Occasionally, the trivago Hotel Relations team offers free webinars and other seminars, in order to educate its users on how to use the Hotel Manager tools more efficiently.
- Statistics Summary for trivago.com, ‘Alexa’. Retrieved on 20 September 2014.
- Statistics Summary for trivago.co.uk, ‘Alexa’. Retrieved on 20 September 2014.
- Statistics Summary for trivago.de,’Alexa’. Retrieved on 20 September 2014.
- Statistics Summary for trivago.es,’Alexa’. Retrieved on 20 September 2014.
- Statistics Summary for trivago.it, ‘Alexa’. Retrieved on 20 September 2014
- Expedia Announces Agreement to Acquire Majority of trivago, Expedia, Bellevue, 21 December 2012. Retrieved on 24 April 2013.
- Meeting the Challenge of Europe 2020 The Transformative Power of Service Innovation,Europe Innova, European Union, February 2011. Retrieved on 7 August 2012.
- trivago – Die erfolgreiche Hotelsuche, “Landeshauptstadt Düsseldorf digitalestadt“, Düsseldorf, 2009. Retrieved on 3 September 2012
- Trivago, CrunchBase, 6 October 2012. Retrieved on 7 August 2012.
- Benecke, Sarah. Gründerzeit in Leipzig, “Financial Times Deutschland”, 25 March 2008. Retrieved on 3 September 2012.
- Frommer, Arthur. You May Find Your Best Hotel Rates on a Search Engine that Scans Online Travel Agencies, “Frommer’s”, Hoboken, 5 April 2012. Retrieved on 30 August 2012.
- The BTN interview: Malte Siewert, MD, trivago GmbH, Breaking Travel News, London, 11 April 2012. Retrieved on 7 August 2012.
- Von Poser, Fabian. Hast du mal ‘n Hoteltipp?, “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung”, Frankfurt am Main, 29. February 2008. Retrieved on 3 September 2012.
- Hegenauer, Michael. Im August sind deutsche Hotels am günstigsten, Welt Online, Berlin, 9 August 2012. Retrieved on 30 August 2012.
- Michel, Melodie. trivago innocation helps hotels manage online presence, Bighospitality.co.uk, 9 May 2014. Retrieved on 30 June 2014.