Trolleybuses in Parma
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2011)|
|Parma trolleybus system|
|Trolleybus 039 at Piazzale Barbieri|
|Locale||Parma, Emilia-Romagna, Italy|
|Route length||18.6 km (11.6 mi)|
The Parma trolleybus system (Italian: Rete filoviaria di Parma) forms part of the public transport network of the city and comune of Parma, in the region of Emilia-Romagna, northern Italy. In operation since 1953, the system presently comprises four urban routes.
When the Parma trolleybus system commenced operations on 25 October 1953, it consisted of three routes:
- 1 Stazione FS ↔ cimitero della Villetta (it);
- 2 San Leonardo ↔ Via Montebello;
- 3 San Lazzaro ↔ Crocetta.
One month later, on 25 November 1953, the trolleybus system's predecessor, the Parma tramway network, was closed.
In 1968, trolleybus route 1 was extended to the cemetery at Orzi di Baganza. In 1972, route 2 was extended, but was also simultaneously transformed into a diesel bus route. This has been the only closure of a trolleybus route in Parma.
In recent decades, the trolleybus system has been expanded: in 1987, route 1 was extended from Orzi di Baganza to strada Farnese; in 1989 bus route 4 was converted into a trolleybus route, and in 1998, bus route 5 was similarly converted.
The routes comprising the present Parma trolleybus system are:
- 1 Stazione FS ↔ strada Farnese;
- 3 San Lazzaro ↔ Crocetta;
- 4 Via Parigi ↔ Via Mordacci;
- 5 Via Orazio ↔ Via Chiavari.
The following trolleybuses previously used in Parma have since been withdrawn from service:
- 16 Fiat 2401 Cansa delivered 1953, nos. 001-016;
- 2 Fiat 2411 Cansa delivered 1959/1960, nos. 017-018;
- 2 Fiat 2411 Cansa delivered 1964, nos. 019-020.
Parma's current trolleybus fleet is as follows:
- 10 Menarini Monocar 201 (it) delivered 1981, nos. 021-030;
- 10 Menarini Monocar 201/2 delivered 1986, nos. 031-040;
- 14 Autodromo BusOtto (it) low-floor, delivered 1997 and 2000, nos. 041-054.
- On order: 9 Van Hool ExquiCity articulated trolleybuses, of which the first one was delivered in April 2012.
Parma trolleybuses nos. 014 and 017 are preserved as heritage vehicles, at the TEP "I° maggio" depot.
- Gregoris, Paolo; Rizzoli, Francesco; Serra, Claudio (2003). Giro d'Italia in filobus [Tour of Italy by trolleybus]. Cortona: Calosci Editore. pp. 171–174. ISBN 88-7785-193-7. (Italian)
Media related to Trolleybuses in Parma at Wikimedia Commons
- Brief history of the introduction of the trolleybus service, at tep.pr.it (Italian)
- Images of the Parma trolleybus system, at railfaneurope.net
- Discussion of the Parma trolleybus system, on the Mondo Tram Forum (Italian)
- Page on the history and status of the Parma trolleybus system. (Italian)
This article is based upon a translation of the Italian language version as at March 2011.