Trouble Every Day (film)
|Trouble Every Day|
French theatrical poster
|Directed by||Claire Denis|
|Produced by||Georges Benayoun|
|Screenplay by||Claire Denis
|Editing by||Nelly Quettier|
|Running time||101 minutes|
Trouble Every Day is a 2001 French erotic horror film directed by Claire Denis and written by Denis and Jean-Pol Fargeau. It stars Vincent Gallo, Tricia Vessey, Béatrice Dalle and Alex Descas. The film's soundtrack is provided by Tindersticks.
- Vincent Gallo ... Shane
- Tricia Vessey ... June
- Béatrice Dalle ... Coré
- Alex Descas ... Léo
- Florence Loiret ... Christelle
- Nicolas Duvauchelle ... Erwan
- Raphaël Neal ... Ludo
- José Garcia ... Choart
- Hélène Lapiower ... Malécot
- Marilu Marini ... Friessen
- Aurore Clément ... Jeanne
- Bakary Sangaré ... Night guard
- Lionel Goldstein ... Receptionist
- Céline Samie ... Woman in bra
- Arnaud Churin ... Truck driver
The film received mixed reactions from critics. Variety wrote that it is "over-long, under-written and needlessly obscure instead of genuinely atmospheric". The Boston Globe was more positive, but concludes by calling the film "a success in some sense, but it's hard to like a film so cold and dead".
Later, the film developed a small following who admire it for its themes of existentialism and its unique take on the horror genre as well as gender roles. It was given an in depth analysis by Salon.com which looked at the intricacies of the film, particularly the metaphorical nature of the narrative. At Film Freak Central, Walter Chaw said, "Plaintive and sad, Claire Denis' Trouble Every Day is a rare combination of honesty, beauty, and maybe even genius." The film has been associated with the New French Extremity.
- Derek Elley (2001-05-14). "Trouble Every Day". Variety. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Chris Fujiwara (2002-04-26). "Out for blood? Art meets gore in 'Trouble Every Day'". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Quandt, James, "Flesh & Blood: Sex and violence in recent French cinema", ArtForum, February 2004  Access date: July 10, 2008.
- "Festival de Cannes: Trouble Every Day". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- Trouble Every Day at the Internet Movie Database
- Salon.com – Analysis of Trouble Every Day
- Walter Chaw of Film Freak Central, who also named the film one of the ten most important to his own life and worldview.
|This article related to a French film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an erotic film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|