Trouble in Mind (song)
|"Trouble in Mind"|
Sheet music for Trouble in Mind
|Single by Thelma La Vizzo with Richard M. Jones|
|B-side||"Fire in the Mountain"|
|Format||10" 78 rpm record|
|Recorded||May 15, 1924|
|Genre||Classic female blues|
|Label||Paramount (no. 12206)|
|Writer(s)||Richard M. Jones|
"Trouble in Mind" is a slow eight-bar blues song written by jazz pianist Richard M. Jones. The first known recording of the song was in 1924 by singer Thelma La Vizzo with Jones providing the piano accompaniment. The song became an early blues standard, with numerous renditions by a variety of musicians.  In many versions, new lyrics are added. However, most usually include the opening verse:
- Trouble in mind, I’m blue
- But I won’t be blue always
- 'Cause I know the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday
Early recordings of "Trouble in Mind" include those by Bertha "Chippie" Hill (1926, OKeh 8312 with Louis Armstrong on cornet and Jones on piano and 1928, Vocalion 1248), Georgia White (1936, Decca 7192), Victoria Spivey (as Jane Lucas) (1936, Vocalion 3346), and Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys (1936, Vocalion 3343). Later, "Trouble in Mind" was a Billboard R&B chart hit for Dinah Washington (number four in 1952) and Nina Simone (number eleven in 1961 and number 92 in the pop chart).
Recordings by other artists
"Trouble in Mind" has been recorded by numerous artists, including:
- 1941 – Sister Rosetta Tharpe with Lucky Millinder & His Orchestra as a single (Decca 48053).
- 1944 – Jay McShann's Kansas City Stompers with Julia Lee as a single (Capitol 10030).
- 1952 – Amos Milburn and His Aladdin Chickenshackers as a single (Aladdin 3124)
- 1955 – Eddy Arnold as a single (RCA 47-6365).
- 1957 – Big Bill Broonzy on Big Bill Broonzy Sings country Blues
- 1959 – Duane Eddy on the album Especially for You.
- 1961 – Sam Cooke on My Kind of Blues.
- 1962 – Cannonball Adderley on Cannonball in Europe!.
- 1962 – Roscoe Holcomb on The Music Of Roscoe Holcomb & Wade Ward
- 1963 – Jeff Beck as a demo with the Tridents on Beckology (released 1991).
- 1963 – Janis Joplin as a demo on Janis (released 1975).
- 1963 – Jimmy Smith on Bucket!
- 1965 – Nina Simone on Pastel Blues.
- 1967 – Muddy Waters on Brass and the Blues.
- 1975 – Tennessee Ernie Ford and Glen Campbell from Ernie Sings & Glen Picks.
- 1979 – Leon Russell and Willie Nelson live with guests Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt on the album and TV special One for the Road.
- 1985 – Marianne Faithfull on film soundtrack Trouble in Mind.
- 1987 – Hank Williams, Jr. on Hank Live
- 1987 – Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band on Ragged but Right (released 2010)
- 1992 – Hot Tuna on Live at Sweetwater.
- 2002 – Lafayette Leake on Easy Blues
- 2003 – Elkie Brooks and Humphrey Lyttelton on Trouble in Mind.
- 2003 – Johnny Cash on Unearthed.
- 2003 – James Blood Ulmer on No Escape from the Blues: The Electric Lady Sessions.
- 2006 – Jerry Lee Lewis with Eric Clapton on Last Man Standing; also live version with Ron Wood on Last Man Standing Live.
- 2007 – Magnolia Electric Co. on Sojourner.
- 2009 – John Gorka on So Dark You See
- 2015 - Paul Jones on Suddenly I Like It (Airline Records, US and Continental, Europe)
- Herzhaft, Gerard (1992). "Trouble in Mind". Encyclopedia of the Blues. University of Arkansas Press. p. 476. ISBN 1-55728-252-8.
- Whitburn, Joel (1988). Top R&B Singles 1942–1988. Record Research, Inc. pp. 433, 375. ISBN 0-89820-068-7.
- "Trouble in Mind – Song Search Results". AllMusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "78 RPM Record". 45worlds. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "Big Bill Broonzy Sings Country Blues". Discogs. Zink Media, Inc. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- "Smithsonian Folkways - Music of Roscoe Holcomb and Wade Ward". Smithsonian Folkways. Retrieved February 3, 2015.