John Fowler Trow
John Fowler Trow (1810-1886) was a printer and publisher in New York City. Born in Andover, Massachusetts, he moved to New York in 1833. He began publishing city directories in 1848. His business eventually became "John F. Trow & Son," and then "John F. Trow & Co." Employees included Peter C. Baker. After Trow's death in 1886, Trow's Directory continued annually for some years.
- Henry Wilson, ed. (1852). Directory of the City of New York. New York: John F. Trow.
- Wilson's New York City Copartnership Directory. New York: John F. Trow. 1864.
- Trow's Business and Residential Directory of the Borough of Richmond, City of New York. NY: Trow Directory, Printing & Bookbinding Co. 1899.
- Trow's General Directory of the Boroughs of Manhattan and Bronx. NY: Trow Directory, Printing & Bookbinding Co. 1909.
- R.L. Polk & Co.'s 1918-19 Trow New York Copartnership and Corporation Directory, Boroughs of Manhattan and Bronx. NY: R.L. Polk & Company. 1919.
- "Obituary: John F. Trow", American Bookmaker (New York: Howard Lockwood) 3, September 1886: 89
- Henry W. Herrick (1901), "John Fowler Trow", Manchester Historic Association Collections (Manchester, New Hampshire)
- J.C. Derby (1884), Fifty Years Among Authors, Books and Publishers, New York: G.W. Carleton & Co.
- "Check List of Directories of the City of New York", Bulletin of the New York Public Library 5, 1901
- Philip Sutton (2012), "Direct Me NYC 1786: A History of City Directories in the United States and New York City", NYPL Blogs (New York Public Library)