Troy Evans (American football)
|Date of birth:||December 3, 1977|
|Place of birth:||Bay City, Michigan|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||243 lb (110 kg)|
|High school:||West Chester (OH) Lakota|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics
Stats at NFL.com
Troy Evans (born December 3, 1977) is an American football linebacker and special teams. Evans previously played for the St. Louis Rams, Houston Texans, and New Orleans Saints, winning a Super Bowl ring with the Saints in 2009.
High school career
Born in Bay City, Michigan, Evans moved to Cincinnati, Ohio when he was 11, and attended Lakota High School in West Chester Township, north of Cincinnati, where he won All-State honors in both football and basketball.
Evans was a four-year letterman and two-year starter at outside linebacker for the University of Cincinnati. As a senior, he was a second-team All-Conference USA selection and posted 4.5 sacks and 107 tackles. As a junior, he made 96 tackles. He graduated from Cincinnati in 2000 with a business finance degree.
The following year, Evans was signed as free agent by the Texans. He remained with the team until the 2007 season, when he signed a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints. He has been used as a special teams player during his career. Evans was selected as Saints special teams captain in 2008 and 2009. As one of the Saints' team captains, Evans was the player who called the pregame coin toss before the Saints' victory in Super Bowl XLIV.
The Saints released Evans on August 24, 2010.
In June 2011, Evans told his home town school board that he was starting a private school bus service for students who were losing their school service due to budget cuts.
- Erich Doerr, "Bay City native Troy Evans marches into Super Bowl as special teams captain for Saints", The Bay City Times, February 4, 2010.
- Garrett Sabelhaus, "Troy Evans: alum wins Super Bowl with Saints", The News Record (University of Cincinnati), February 16, 2010.
- Jordan Godwin, "Familiar faces, different places: After spending five seasons with the Texans, Saints linebacker Troy Evans likes what he sees in his old team." Houston Chronicle, August 19, 2010.
- Steven Matthews, "Lakota grad Evans reflects on Super Bowl win", JournalNews (Hamilton, Ohio), February 11, 2010.
- Mike Triplett, "New Orleans Saints make early roster cuts, release linebacker Troy Evans among others", Times-Picayune, August 24, 2010.
- Lindsey Hilty, "Super Bowl champ seeks to provide bussing to Lakota students", The Pulse-Journal (Mason, Ohio), June 14, 2011.