Troy Township, Ashland County, Ohio
|Troy Township, Ohio|
Location of Troy Township in Ashland County
|• Total||16.9 sq mi (43.8 km2)|
|• Land||16.8 sq mi (43.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,122 ft (342 m)|
|• Density||68/sq mi (26.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085716|
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Rochester Township, Lorain County - north
- Huntington Township, Lorain County - northeast corner
- Sullivan Township - east
- Orange Township - south
- Ruggles Township - west
- New London Township, Huron County - northwest corner
Name and history
The township was first surveyed in 1806, at which time the territory was composed of thick woods, but not officially organized or named until 1835. It was named for the dog of an early settler.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Troy township, Ashland County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- About Troy Township and History Of Troy Township, 2006. Accessed 2007-05-28
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.