|Directed by||Charles Lane|
|Produced by||Carol Baum
|Written by||Andy Breckman|
|Music by||Marc Marder|
|Cinematography||Thomas E. Ackerman|
|Editing by||Kent Beyda|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Pictures Distribution|
|Running time||93 minutes|
|Box office||$4,693,236 (USA)|
True Identity is a 1991 American comedy film directed by Charles Lane and starring Lenny Henry, Frank Langella and Anne-Marie Johnson. The plot revolves around a black man (British comedy actor Henry), who disguises himself as a white man to escape the mob.
|This article needs a plot summary. Please add one. (January 2011)|
- Lenny Henry as Miles Pope
- Frank Langella as Leland Carver
- Anne-Marie Johnson as Kristi
- James Earl Jones as Himself
- Peggy Lipton as Rita
- Melvin Van Peebles as Taxi Driver
- J. T. Walsh as Houston
- Andreas Katsulas as Anthony
The film received mediocre reviews. Caryn James of The New York Times said that Lane's direction was "tame and conventional" and that although Henry had "obvious" talent, "True Identity doesn't take enough advantage of it". Lenny Henry commented on film retrospectively in 2010.‘When I went to America to do [the film] True Identity in 1991, I realised they had their own Richard Pryor, they didn’t need me pretending to be Richard Pryor, so I had a massive career rethink,’ 
 Box office
The film was not a box office success.
- "Making a Serious Comedy". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "Lenny Henry --The Man in the Irony Mask : Movies: The British comedian finds the transition from black to white for his role in 'True Identity' an illuminating experience.". The Los Angeles Times. 1991-08-24. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "True Identity". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- Turan, Kenneth (1991-08-23). "Movie Review : A Mistaken 'Identity' From Lane". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- James, Caryn (1991-08-23). "Review/Film; A British Comedian Abroad, in 'True Identity'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Lenny Henry interview". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-06-06.
- Fox, David J. (1991-08-27). "Weekend Box Office : List-Toppers Are Listless". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: True Identity|
- True Identity at the Internet Movie Database
- True Identity at AllRovi
- True Identity at Rotten Tomatoes
|This film article about a 1990s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|