True Blood (season 6)
|True Blood Season 6|
Region 1 DVD cover
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original run||June 16, 2013– August 18, 2013|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||June 3, 2014|
|Region 2||June 14, 2014|
|Region 4||June 4, 2014|
|Blu-ray Disc release|
|Region A||June 3, 2014|
|Region B||June 4, 2014|
The sixth season of the HBO supernatural drama series True Blood premiered on June 16, 2013. The season had an abbreviated run of ten episodes, as opposed to the usual twelve, partially to accommodate the pregnancy of lead actress Anna Paquin. It is also the first season not to be primarily based on the corresponding novel in The Southern Vampire Mysteries series (in this case Definitely Dead), instead taking elements from multiple books in the series.
Cast and characters
Special guest cast
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|61||1||"Who Are You, Really?"||Stephen Moyer||Raelle Tucker||June 16, 2013||4.52|
|Sookie, Eric and the others flee the Authority compound after Bill's reincarnation. Meanwhile, Louisiana Governor Burrell declares war on vampires. Eric says he is no longer Pam's maker, and she no longer follows his orders. Upset, Pam goes to Fangtasia with Tara, when some S.W.A.T. troopers arrive and shoot Tara, after announcing all Vampire businesses are closed. Jason hitchhikes and is picked up by an old man, who he believes to be Warlow after the old man says "Nothing can keep Warlow from Sookie." Jason shoots at the man who disappears, while the faerie blood contract promising Sookie to Warlow starts to glow. Sam, Luna, and Emma escape from Authority headquarters, though Luna dies from her injuries, entrusting Sam to take care of Emma. Jessica is called by Bill, who is somewhat normal but more powerful. He is nearly staked by Eric and is staked from behind by Sookie. He demands they all leave, except Jessica. Meanwhile, Alcide is about to have sex with a young woman in the pack when Rikki comes, and they have a threesome, although Rikki insists she is Alcide's "number one bitch" as they have sex. In Bon Temps, Andy tries to take care of his faerie kids, who age fast. Eric signs Sookie's house back over to her in his blood, while she takes back his invitation. Nora insists Eric is in love with Sookie. Bill talks to Jessica in her room, but hears noises as he leaves. Returning to his room, he sees Lilith, who appears to enter his body.|
|62||2||"The Sun"||Daniel Attias||Angela Robinson||June 23, 2013||4.08|
|Sookie and Jason meet a long-lost relative. Eric strives to thwart Gov. Burrell's plans. Sam encounters a zealot and talks to Alcide and Martha about Emma's future. Bill considers his heightened powers.|
|63||3||"You're No Good"||Howard Deutch||Mark Hudis||June 30, 2013||3.94|
|Irate over Burrell’s blatant aggression towards vampires, Eric takes matters into his own hands. After dangerously testing the limits of his powers, Bill enlists a TruBlood innovator to synthesize a new type of blood – but has difficulty finding the right donor. Sookie begins to learn why Warlow is after her. Sam receives unexpected help from Nicole and her Vampire Unity Society (V.U.S.) associates. Steve Newlin (Michael McMillian) finds his past ideals turning into a current nightmare.|
|64||4||"At Last"||Anthony Hemingway||Alexander Woo||July 7, 2013||4.14|
|Sookie confronts her attraction to Ben by inviting him to dinner. Eric counters Burrell's brutal anti-vampire initiatives by hitting him where it hurts the most. Andy's faerie daughters keep dangerous company. Bill gives Takahashi the task of synthesizing a new kind of blood.|
|65||5||"Fuck the Pain Away"||Michael Ruscio||Angela Robinson||July 14, 2013||4.54|
|Sookie gets Lafayette to summon her dead parents. Warlow revisits some painful memories with Lilith. Eric and Tara resort to drastic measures to rescue Pam. Sarah reconnects with Jason. Andy picks up the pieces of his ravaged family. Jessica seeks atonement.|
|66||6||"Don't You Feel Me"||Howard Deutch||Daniel Kenneth||July 21, 2013||4.47|
|Bill travels to another plane and seeks Lilith's advice on the escalating crisis between humans and vampires. Eric, Pam, Nora, Jason and Jessica get an inside look at Vamp Camp. Sam tries to make the best decision for Emma's future. Andy names his remaining faerie daughter. Eric discovers the truth about TruBlood's resumed production. Meanwhile, Sookie says she's a 'danger whore' and has sex with Warlow, after discovering that it was him who saved her from her parents, and not the other way round as she had always believed. Bill attacks the Governor's residence, killing him and uses his powers to force the guards to kill each other.|
|67||7||"In the Evening"||Scott Winant||Kate Barnow||July 28, 2013||4.36|
|Eric makes a last-ditch attempt to save Nora by pledging allegiance to Bill. Hearing the news of Terry's death, Sam ignores Alcide's warning and returns to Bon Temps. Jason "breaks-in" to the vamp-camp to save Jessica, where he runs into Sarah. With the Governor out of the picture, she vows to get revenge on Jason. Jessica shows her gratitude to a fellow prisoner. Sookie and Warlow move to their special hiding place. She gives Warlow her blood, she takes his blood- they have sex. Warlow wants to get married, Sookie isn't so sure.|
|68||8||"Dead Meat"||Michael Lehmann||Robin Veith||August 4, 2013||4.17|
|Since Nora dies, Eric decides to take the vampire fate into his own hands. Sookie struggles between staying human/fae or letting Warlow turn her to save Vampire kind. Meanwhile everyone in the vamp-camp begins to drink the True Blood tainted with Hep-V. Reverend Newlin accidentally lets slip to Sarah that they know about the tainted blood, after which she locks up all the vampires who refuse to drink it in the white room, in accordance to Bill's vision.|
|69||9||"Life Matters"||Romeo Tirone||Brian Buckner||August 11, 2013||4.00|
|Sookie and Bill clash over Bill's desire to use Warlow's blood. Eric arrives at Vamp Camp, releasing its captives and starting a massacre by leading all into attacking the human staff. Sarah Newlin escapes, however, and opens the roof of the White Room in order to burn the trapped vampires inside. Bill arrives to prevent this, offering the vampires his blood so they are immune to the sunlight. Eric intervenes when Steve Newlin tries to get his share, however, forcing Newlin into the sun and to his death. Bill, weakened by his blood loss, is visited by Lilith's sirens before being rescued by Jessica. While Eric starts destroying the infected TruBlood bottles, Jason decides not to kill Sarah Newlin and lets her go. In Bon Temps, a funeral takes place for Terry Bellefleur, and the town inhabitants take turns telling stories about Terry.|
|70||10||"Radioactive"||Scott Winant||Kate Barnow||August 18, 2013||4.14|
|In the sixth season finale, Bill discovers that salvation comes at a price. Due to excessive feeding from his blood, Bill loses his powers inherited from the blood of Lilith. Sookie tries to talk Warlow into dating her rather than marry her just then and there. Warlow turns violent and holds her captive. Bill releases Takahashi, but is grievously stricken for the way he behaved with Sookie. Jessica encourages Bill to save Sookie, and they take the help of Jason, Violet, Andy and Adylin. Bill saves Sookie. But Warlow soon overtakes everyone and just as he is ready to take Sookie with him, her Grandfather appears and holds him while Jason puts a stake through Warlow's heart, killing him. As soon as Warlow dies, the power of walking in daylight is also taken away from all other vampires who inherited the trait. Far away in Sweden, Eric also loses the power which causes him to burn. Six months later, things come back to normal in Bon Temps: Bill has become a writer, Sam Merlotte is the new Mayor, Arlene has taken over Sam's bar and renamed it "Bellefleur's", Sookie and Alcide are in a relationship and so are Jason and Violet. However, the Hepatitis-V virus has spread around the country and infected vampires run amok. While a search for a vaccine is ongoing, Sam and Bill offer that each citizen pair with a healthy vampire as protection. Jessica asks for forgiveness from Andy and Adylin and promises to protect them; Andy almost shoots her, but Jessica mounts guard anyway. Tara's estranged mother, Lettie Mae, offers herself to Tara to "nourish" her in an attempt to make up for her neglect of Tara while she was growing up. In the final scene, during the "pairing" meet at Bellefleur's, a horde of infected vampires gather around the building and are about to attack.|
In February 2012 series creator Alan Ball announced he would step down as day-to-day showrunner of True Blood but would stay on as executive producer. Mark Hudis, who joined the writing staff at the beginning of the fourth season, was chosen as executive producer for season six. However, the producers announced in March 2013 that, after only a single season, Hudis would also depart the series to focus on developing his own HBO series. Brian Buckner filled the position for the rest of the season and will continue in the role for the seventh season. On Monday, July 15, 2013, HBO renewed True Blood for a seventh and final season.
|Title||Original air date||Ratings share
|Rank per week
|61 (6.01)||"Who Are You, Really?"||June 16, 2013||2.4||4.52||#4|
|62 (6.02)||"The Sun"||June 23, 2013||2.2||4.08||#9|
|63 (6.03)||"You're No Good"||June 30, 2013||2.2||3.93||#9|
|64 (6.04)||"At Last"||July 7, 2013||2.3||4.14||#5|
|65 (6.05)||"Fuck the Pain Away"||July 14, 2013||2.5||4.54||#5|
|66 (6.06)||"Don't You Feel Me"||July 21, 2013||2.4||4.47||#8|
|67 (6.07)||"In the Evening"||July 28, 2013||2.4||4.36||#4|
|68 (6.08)||"Dead Meat"||August 4, 2013||2.2||4.17||#7|
|69 (6.09)||"Life Matters"||August 11, 2013||2.2||4.00||#11|
|70 (6.10)||"Radioactive"||August 18, 2013||2.3||4.14||#12|
- Lambert, David (March 19, 2014). "True Blood - HBO Provides a Press Release for 'The Complete 6th Season'". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "True Blood - Season 6 [DVD]". Amazon UK. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season". Ezy DVD. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Rice, Lynette (July 15, 2013). "'True Blood' renewed for seventh season". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Stoute, Scott. "'True Blood' Season 6 Shortened To 10 Episodes – Will It Help Or Hurt The Series?". Screenrant. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 18, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + Sprint Cup Racing, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Falling Skies', 'Real Housewives of NJ' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Skywire Live' Wins Night, 'True Blood', 'Falling Skies', 'Mad Men', 'Drop Dead Diva' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 1, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'BET Awards' Wins Night + 'True Blood', 'Dexter', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 10, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Dexter', 'Falling Skies', 'Devious Maids', 'The Killing' & More". Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', 'Sprint Cup', 'Real Housewives of NJ', 'Falling Skies' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night, 'Naked and Afraid', 'Falling Skies', 'Dexter', 'Devious Maids', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'True Blood' Wins Night + 'Naked and Afraid', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', NASCAR, 'Dexter' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 6, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings:'True Blood' & 'Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives' Win Night, 'Dexter', 'Devious Maids', 'The Killing', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 13, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night, 'True Blood', 'Low Winter Sun', 'Devious Maids', 'Dexter', 'The Newsroom' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 20, 2013). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'Breaking Bad' Wins Night + 'True Blood', 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians', NASCAR, 'Real Housewives of New Jersey' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- Gelman, Vlada (February 27, 2012). "True Blood Boss Alan Ball to Step Down as Showrunner After Season 5". TV Line. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- Bricker, Tierney (March 8, 2013). "True Blood Showrunner Swap: Brian Buckner to Replace Mark Hudis". E! Online. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 18, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Major Crimes' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending June 16, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 25, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Skywire Live' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending June 23, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 2, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'BET Awards' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending June 30, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 10, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Rizzoli & Isles' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending July 7, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 16, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Rizzoli & Isles' Again Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending July 14, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 23, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Teen Beach Movie' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending July 21, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 30, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Rizzoli & Isles' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending July 28, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 6, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Rizzoli & Isles' Again Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending August 4, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (August 13, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Breaking Bad' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending August 11, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 20, 2013). "Cable Top 25: 'Duck Dynasty' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending August 18, 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 20, 2013.